Movement on Westerdam

Circusboy354

We had such bad weather last week that the Captain closed off the outer decks of Eurodam due to the high winds for the first two days...

...and this is after he diverted 100 miles out of the way to a more southerly course to get us better weather - We were fairly rumbling around the Caribbean as if we were in Dad's old Chevy wagon on a gravel road!

Remember too: When you're coming out of Florida, you're not in the Caribbean - You're in the North Atlantic (in the Winter)

And the seas look alot smoother when you're looking down at it from a balcony 70-80 feet in the air - If you were in a little boat at sea-level, you'd KNOW it was 15-20 foot seas!

And the seas look alot smoother when you're looking down at it from a balcony 70-80 feet in the air - If you were in a little boat at sea-level, you'd KNOW it was 15-20 foot seas!

^Quoted for truth! We tend to lose sight of what X height sea really is being in ships that are the size of city blocks! Riding a storm in a boat, that's when you know, respect, and love the blue!

Another thing that is lost, the height of the Statue of Liberty. When you're there, she's a tall girl, but every time we've sailed past her we were as tall as she is tall and she seemed Lilliputian!

Derek

We had lots of movement the first couple days of our Dec 4 -11 cruise on Westerdam. It seemed to be very windy those days - my husband and I walked three miles on the Promenade deck on Dec 5, and coming around one of the bends each lap we were almost blown backwards.

I almost always enjoy the rocking of the ship, and this time was no exception, but a few years ago we were caught in a big storm on the Ionian Sea (Oceania Insignia), and waves were crashing up onto windows in the dining room. After about four or five hours, many were ill, as was I. Dramamine and getting down to midship on Deck One to rest were what saved me.

Archived