Has anyone been at the Hermitage on Monday with a private tour?

Mr&MsSmith

Hi everyone, I do not mean to repeat the same old question, and before someone suggest me to do my homework or read through previous posts here, I need to say that I've done that already and haven't found the answer to my question yet, therefore the reason of my post.

We'll be there next year in July with RCI and unfortunately we'll have only 1 day in St. Petersburg and is on a Monday, the day that the Hermitage it is closed to public.

What I can confirm right now is that the cruise ship is the only one that can actually gurantee entrance to the Hermitage that day and they are already offering several tours there. However, as most of the people here we would prefer a private local tour company to make the most of the day and our money.

I've contacted 3 tour companies already, all of them very well recommended on this site, but I'm getting mixed information and would like to know from someone that has been there recently on a 1 Day tour (this is important as most of the posts I've read here are from those that have been there for 2 days so this has not been really an issue) and on a Monday.

I also read from someone that posted a comment saying that their tour company cancelled last minute the tour to the Hermitage, after tons of promises about it, so I do not wan't this to happen to us or have false expectations.

So this is what I got so far when I asked them if they could get into the Hermitage on Monday or not:

1. Company A told me straight up: We don't have any tours going to the Hermitage on Monday. The tour companies that get to get you in are the ones that brings over 100 people or more to the museum that day, so they get "special opening". This is too much of a risk for us so we don't offer this in our Monday packages.

2. Company B said: We have special arragements for Mondays, so dont worry we can get you in.

3. Company C said: We can get you into the Hermitage but this can only be confirmed few days before the tour as it will depends on the Hermitage administration and they make their decision on the amount of requests they get from all the tour companies. It will also make the tour $50 more expensive.

I have my own opinion about all 3 answers but before we make a decision I would like to get a clearer picture from someone that has been there, done that already.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and my apologies for the long post!

Good question! We're fortunate that we'll be there Sunday and Monday. One of our group has been in contact with several tour companies and they've all suggested scheduling the Hermitage for the Sunday. I have heard that the actual SHIP's scheduled tours sometimes manage to visit museums on closed days. Maybe check with RCI?

We visited the Hermitage on a Monday. Our shore excursions were arranged by Palladium Travel and they had confirmed this tour long in advance.

cruiselen, Finally someone that has been there on a Monday with a private tour!!! Do you mind sharing your itinerary and was this visit recently?

To answer to AnnMaryKira, I wish I knew the Hermitage was closed on a Monday before we decided on this cruise, unfortunately I learned that afterwards, and yes we'll be there only 1 day.

RCI has excursions available visiting the Hermitage, but as most people know we are trying to make the most of our visit and the ship does not have an excursion that includes all the must see in the city included in one tour and even if they did it would cost an arm and a leg. Of course 1 day is not enough to see them all so we will have to choose wisely now.

Thanks all for your answers.

My original itinerary (had to change dates) had us in STP on a Monday as well. Marina Wilson (marina_s_wilson@st-petersburg-visit.com) told me in correspondance that it might be possible to visit the Hermitage on a Monday with special permission. I had read good reviews about her on the boards and trip advisor.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

To Mr&MsSmith - we went in 2010 and had a private tour itinerary worked out with Palladium in advance. We had a city tour with visits to St. Isaac's cathedral, the Church-on-Spilt Blood, Peter-and-Paul fortress and a tour of the Hermitage on Monday, then we went to the summer palaces in Peterhof and Pavlovsk the next day. Each day it took us about 8 hrs., as far as I can remember.

The thing is that nobody can guarantee Hermitage opening on Monday. Hermitage is quite burocratic structure, so you send the request only 1 month before the date and get the reply 1-2 weeks before the visit.

However, the biggest cruise touroperators (Arctur Travel, Baltic travel, Den Eesti) will 99% get this permission.

Other touroperators can get the permission or not to get it (this depends on the will of the museum director), and they will know it only 1-2 weeks before the visit, so if somebody guarantees you this visit, be a bit suspicious.

Archived