Kenai Fjords 3 hour cruise vs. 6 hour cruise

rjm11

I've seen lots of recommendations about taking the 6 hour Kenai Fjords cruise instead of the 3 hour.... but I was wondering what the specific differences are (aside from length)? I understand that you don't get to the glaciers with the 3 hour, but is the wildlife sighting also different? We will be traveling with young(er) kids (7 and 9) and I am trying to factor their attention span into the decision making. They've been on boats a lot (small, big, Harv and Marv, etc) and never had an issue with seasickness, so I don't think that's a factor.

EDIT- I just noticed the "5 hour wildlife cruise" option... that departs at noon- I was hoping to do this on the day we disembark in Whittier- can we make the noon tour? Is this a good option?

Thanks!

If you are coming into Whittier I am not sure I would go from Whittier to Seward just for a 3 or 5 hour boat tour from Seward.

I have taken a 4 hour, a 6 hour and a 9 hour tour from Seward. 6 and 9 hour tours get out of the bay and to a calving glacier, seeing lots of marine wildlife en route, including a decent chance of seeing whales.

Others have disagreed with me, but some who disagree have never taken the shorter tour :confused:. The 4 (or 3 or 5) hour tour doesn't get out of the bay. But that doesn't mean you won't see much marine wildlife. The longer tours know they will see such wildlife outside of the bay so they don't stop in the bay to view it. But there is actually quite a bit of marine wildlife in the bay too. Seals, sea lions, otters, eagles and more (bird rookery for example). We even saw a humpback whale on the 4 hour tour. Would I recommend a tour less than 6 hours? Only if nothing else would fit into your schedule.

But for you, unless you are spending a night or two in Seward, I would recommend a Prince William Sound tour from Whittier instead. Easier from a logistical standpoint, still will see some marine wildlife and will see glaciers closer than from your cruise ship.

Thanks for the responses...

I think I'm leaning toward spending the night in Seward... so maybe the full day tour the second day is the best option?

Or can we make it from Whittier to Seward in time for the 11:30 departure? We are planning to rent a car....

Or can we make it from Whittier to Seward in time for the 11:30 departure? We are planning to rent a car....

If all your ducks are in a row and the stars are aligned properly. ;) Personally, I would be a bit nervous about making it there in time. Why not take a PWS sound tour out of Whittier, then rent your car and head to Seward. Spend the night and take the Kenai Fjords tour on the second day.

FYI: One way rentals out of Whittier or anywhere else for that matter in Alaska, will be pricey.

Archived