Ryndam questions .....

bender1

Hi Everyone

We are going on the Ryndam 10 day mexican cruise in October - and can't wait. :)

Has anyone got any comments about the food on the Ryndam?

How formal are the formal nights? If we wore a blouse and nice pair of pants - would this be ok?

What about the other nights - is jeans adequate?

Has anyone got any menus scanned in for the Ryndam

Is wine included with dinner or do you pay extra?

Whats the go with the Pinnalce Grill - do we pay $20 pp and then get to choose anything from the menu? or is it a set dinner?

What about the dinner in the dining room - do you choose your apertizer/salad/main/entree ? or is it alternative drop?

Is the early or late dinner sitting better?

What if you dont finish eating before the set time?

Is there a wine deal? e.g. just like the softdrink deal?

Hi Everyone

We are going on the Ryndam 10 day mexican cruise in October - and can't wait. :)

Has anyone got any comments about the food on the Ryndam?

How formal are the formal nights? If we wore a blouse and nice pair of pants - would this be ok?

What about the other nights - is jeans adequate?

Has anyone got any menus scanned in for the Ryndam

Is wine included with dinner or do you pay extra?

Whats the go with the Pinnalce Grill - do we pay $20 pp and then get to choose anything from the menu? or is it a set dinner?

What about the dinner in the dining room - do you choose your apertizer/salad/main/entree ? or is it alternative drop?

Is the early or late dinner sitting better?

What if you dont finish eating before the set time?

Is there a wine deal? e.g. just like the softdrink deal?

If you are interested in jeans for dinner then Holland America and the Ryndam are not for you. After 6 pm there are no jeans allowed in any public areas, nor would most Holland America passengers consider wearing them. Formal nights are dressy and non formal nights are either smart casual or semi formal.

The food on the Ryndan is excellent and wine is NOT included with your dinner. The Pinacle Grill is well worth the $20 per person and you can select anything on the Pinacle Grill menu. Dinner seating is at your preference depending on what time you prefer to eat.

There are wine packages for purchase. I am not sure why you would ask about not finishing your meal by thr set time. You will have plenty of time to complete your dinner in the allocated time and if you do not, then I am sure you will be asked to leave the dining room. The wait staff works very hard and has two seatings to serve, and as there are many on board to feed, you will have to comply to seating times.

Holland America is a sophisticated 5 Star line whose passsengers are a step above when it comes to class and style.

Have a great cruise on the beautiful Ryndam.

I was on the Ryndam 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise a few weeks ago and I agree with everything atseadaze said. They covered your questions well.

I would only add:

When we are on vacation, my husband and I are usually jeans or shorts kind of people. The Ryndam (and HAL in general) is absolutely a more formal venue than we normally choose. But, we wanted to take the Copper Canyon excursion and this is the only ship that offers it. We knew when we booked the cruise what the dress code was and we followed it. Formal nights on the Ryndam really are formal and you will rarely see people in blue jeans at any time on the cruise. I did see a number of women in nice pants and a dressy blouse on formal night and they looked fine. For men, a suit and tie or tux is it.

The food in the dining room was good and you can choose whatever you want from the menu which is pretty extensive and changes each night. The food in the Lido buffet was adequate. As for the Pinnacle Grill, I highly recommend it. We dined there twice at dinner. The food and presentation were some of the best I have ever had, the staff is wonderful and the setting is much more intimate than the dining room. The extra $20 pp is a bargain. The menu at the Pinnacle Grill is the same for the entire trip and is posted outside the door (and I think it is in your cabin as well) so you can check it out before you make a reservation.

We really enjoyed the whole cruise and were very glad we decided to take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you ever lucky! My husband and I took this cruise in the fall of 2004 and had a wonderful time. Everyone is correct so far...the formal nights are very formal. I would suggest your "fanciest" gown for the captain's dinner. It seemed as if that was the dressiest evening.

As far as the food goes...it was excellent with the exception of the soups and desserts. Some were very good and some were so-so and some were "bleh".

We had the 2nd seating and were glad we chose that because it gives you plenty of time to enjoy the sailaway parties and you don't feel so rushed getting back from your shore excursions. The only bad thing about it is going to bed feeling like a stuffed whale!

You didn't ask about the ports, but f.y.i. Loreto is wonderful. You don't get accosted by the vendors the instant you get off the tender, it's a beautiful little town and we had a tasty lunch at a little cafe. Hope you have a great time!

Archived