taxi vs all day driver Mahogany Bay to West Bay?

gratefulgurl

What is the least expensive way to get to West Bay Beach from the cruise port at Mahogany Bay (besides the lengthy mini bus/water taxi way)? We only want to go to beach (we have our own snorkling gear), not interested in any tours but it looks like cab fares are more expensive than the tours :confused: It also seems to be a concern finding a taxi back since some have posted their driver didn't come back for them. It would also be nice to be able to have a flexible return time. :)

It depends on how many are going.

If you have four or more then arranging a taxi up the hill for $100 is a the best most flexible way. This will give complete flexibility on return and give an option to visit West End or elsewhere for no more money. This is what we do and use Theris Dixon to book. You will have to pay a minimum of $5 for a chair at West Bay if you want one.

If it is just two then consider the ship's tour to "Tabayana" beach. This can be slighly cheaper overall (includes a chair) but less flexible.

I think Bananarama has good value as well.

By the by ~ The mini bus, water taxi route can not be done from Mahogany Bay, one would have to taxi to Coxen Hole for the mini bus.

This site has a trip to the beach but I am not sure if the rates apply only to the Coxen Hole port. Might tosss them an email to find out if they do Mahogany Bay.

As said above several of the tour companies do shuttles to the beach depending on how many in your party the price changes per person.

The beach is free, the facilities are not, if you need a bathroom, showers or a chair you will be paying more. Part of the reason I think Bananrama has the best deal going.

One more added thing... the best walk in access to the reef for snorkeling is at the Tabyana bit of West Bay beach.

I think Bananarama has good value as well.

By the by ~ The mini bus, water taxi route can not be done from Mahogany Bay, one would have to taxi to Coxen Hole for the mini bus.

This site has a trip to the beach but I am not sure if the rates apply only to the Coxen Hole port. Might tosss them an email to find out if they do Mahogany Bay.

As said above several of the tour companies do shuttles to the beach depending on how many in your party the price changes per person.

The beach is free, the facilities are not, if you need a bathroom, showers or a chair you will be paying more. Part of the reason I think Bananrama has the best deal going.

One more added thing... the best walk in access to the reef for snorkeling is at the Tabyana bit of West Bay beach.

Does Bananarama have a flexible return shuttle or just one over and one back? We would only want a few hours of beach time, not a full day. Thanks for your info.

One of the links I left above gets for people to the beach for $15 a person. It feels like it would be just your four but again better to get the skinny from the horses mouth.

Rony does an individual, meaning what ever pleases you, at a rate of $20 per person..

KatMich, from what I understand from Bananarama they will try to accommodate your schedule, they call a taxi for ya... might be worth while to confirm via email with them.

One of the links I left above gets for people to the beach for $15 a person. It feels like it would be just your four but again better to get the skinny from the horses mouth.

Rony does an individual, meaning what ever pleases you, at a rate of $20 per person..

KatMich, from what I understand from Bananarama they will try to accommodate your schedule, they call a taxi for ya... might be worth while to confirm via email with them.

Thanks! I will check with them.

Cool, then pop back and let us know the answer. :)

I asked about returning to the ship after 1-2 hours and they said they could take care of it. I assume they would pay the taxi or have their own shuttle as the package indicates transportation roundtrip.

I asked about returning to the ship after 1-2 hours and they said they could take care of it. I assume they would pay the taxi or have their own shuttle as the package indicates transportation roundtrip.

I agree, if you pay the Bananarama package, no matter the mode of transport it is already covered.

Enjoy the island.

We did the Bananarama package in Nov. The driver asked us what time we wanted to return to the ship, we agreed on a time, and he was there to pick us up. Part of our group of 7 dove, and two of us snorkeled. The water was amazingly calm and clear. When we arrived, they showed us where the showers and bathrooms were located. We were given a wrist band so they knew we belonged on the property. Had our welcome drink, and they placed our lounge chair where ever we wanted. It was a great day:D

You can negotiate with the taxis outside of the gates of the port. We ported in Coxen Hole, from Coxen Hole to Luna Beach was $5pp each way and was told we didn't have to pay until we arrived back at the port. Be forewarned though if you decided to leave your first location and be taken to another be sure to negotiate that fare too... we didn't and got hit for another $40 even though it was only 5 minutes away from our first location.

Archived