LA or Anaheim to Long Beach QM transport query

Dawn1004

Hi all

Am travelling over from Australia - first trip to USA. Myself, hubby and 19 yr old son

We are firstly staying at the Hollywood and Highland Renaissance for a few days and then transfer over to Homewood Hilton Suites in Anaheim for a week (then we lux bus it to Vegas).

Hubby has decided he'd like to check out the Queen Mary in Long Beach one day, and return back to our accommodation.

Just wondering transport options, and would we be better going from Hollywood or Anaheim? I.e time, cost, ease?

not bothered which day of the week we do this,

I think we could go on the train, 2 of them I think, but we're both a bit challenged when it comes to directions, heck we can get lost anywhere!

Regards.

I would think it best to go to Long Beach and the Queen Mary from Hollywood. I found the following info on Tripadvisor:

"You can take the Subway/Red Line from Hollywood to 7th/Metro in Downtown L.A. and transfer to the blue line that will get you to Downtown Long Beach. It will take around 75 min one way. In Long Beach exit the Blue Line at the Long Beach Transit Mall station, the Long Beach Passport "C" shuttle bus runs between that station and the Queen Mary, and is free. Just to be clear, the Transit Mall Station in downtown Long Beach isn't really a station at all. The blue line, is, largely, an above-ground light rail system so the train stops periodically at platforms that are in the middle of various roads, where passengers can enter or exit the train.

The "Transit Mall Station" is such a platform on 1st Street, just west of the intersection of Pine Avenue. When you get off the train, walk back to the intersection, turn right onto Pine Ave and the Passport C stop will be right there (on the right). Alternatively, continue walking down Pine St to the next corner (Ocean Bl) and turn left (crossing Pine Av) and you'll see the Renaissance Long Beach Hotel on the opposing corner. You can get a cheap taxi from there to the Queen."

The Red Line station is right there at Hollywood and Highland, the complex next door to the Renaissance hotel.

Enjoy your time here!!

Denice

I would think it best to go to Long Beach and the Queen Mary from Hollywood. I found the following info on Tripadvisor:

"You can take the Subway/Red Line from Hollywood to 7th/Metro in Downtown L.A. and transfer to the blue line that will get you to Downtown Long Beach. It will take around 75 min one way. In Long Beach exit the Blue Line at the Long Beach Transit Mall station, the Long Beach Passport "C" shuttle bus runs between that station and the Queen Mary, and is free. Just to be clear, the Transit Mall Station in downtown Long Beach isn't really a station at all. The blue line, is, largely, an above-ground light rail system so the train stops periodically at platforms that are in the middle of various roads, where passengers can enter or exit the train.

The "Transit Mall Station" is such a platform on 1st Street, just west of the intersection of Pine Avenue. When you get off the train, walk back to the intersection, turn right onto Pine Ave and the Passport C stop will be right there (on the right). Alternatively, continue walking down Pine St to the next corner (Ocean Bl) and turn left (crossing Pine Av) and you'll see the Renaissance Long Beach Hotel on the opposing corner. You can get a cheap taxi from there to the Queen."

The Red Line station is right there at Hollywood and Highland, the complex next door to the Renaissance hotel.

Enjoy your time here!!

Denice

I see no reason to take a cab, the free Passport C runs about every ten minutes. The Blue Line runs on the street for much of its journey from downtown LA to downtown LB. So, it is more of a glorified bus than what you might expect. Also, be prepared for it to go through some of the poorest parts of LA!

As PatriciaF commented, the Blue Line goes through "South Central". The media and movies have characterized it as a gang-infested jungle. That's not an issue for people passing through and not wandering into neighborhoods. That said, I don't recommend using it at night (especially late at night). During daylight hours or during the evening commute it will be OK. Don't wear expensive jewelry or clothing and protect your valuables (purse, passport, etc).

No different than any other US city with (unfortunately) some very impoverished and crime-ridden areas. I'm not saying you shouldn't use the Blue Line, just use common sense precautions.

Archived