Questions for Greatam - SA Entry/Exit Fees

CACruzrs

Hi, Greatam-

From your responses it is obvious that you are very well experienced in travel in South America. We would appreciate it if you could answer a few questions about Entry/Exit fees.

We will be getting off a ship mid-cruise in Valparaiso, Chile; flying from Santaigo, Chile, to Lima, Peru that afternoon, flying to Cusco early 2nd day, Machu Picchu 3rd day, flying from Cusco to Lima afternoon of 4th day, and then re-boarding the ship in Callao, Peru on 5th day. We used AA frequent flyer miles to buy the multi-city LAN flights.

Question #1: Will we have to pay a Chilean entry fee when we get off the ship in Valparaiso?

Question #2: Will we have to pay a Chilean departure tax at the airport when we fly out of Santiago? We paid a nominal (about $60) fee for each ticket, but our receipt does not list it as a tax.

Question #3: Will we have to pay Peru entry/exit fees when we get off and/or board the plane at the Lima and Cusco airports?

Question #4: Will we have to pay a Peru exit fee before we re-board the ship at the pier in Callao?

Thank you!:)

Hi, Greatam-

From your responses it is obvious that you are very well experienced in travel in South America. We would appreciate it if you could answer a few questions about Entry/Exit fees.

We will be getting off a ship mid-cruise in Valparaiso, Chile; flying from Santaigo, Chile, to Lima, Peru that afternoon, flying to Cusco early 2nd day, Machu Picchu 3rd day, flying from Cusco to Lima afternoon of 4th day, and then re-boarding the ship in Callao, Peru on 5th day. We used AA frequent flyer miles to buy the multi-city LAN flights.

Question #1: Will we have to pay a Chilean entry fee when we get off the ship in Valparaiso?

Question #2: Will we have to pay a Chilean departure tax at the airport when we fly out of Santiago? We paid a nominal (about $60) fee for each ticket, but our receipt does not list it as a tax.

Question #3: Will we have to pay Peru entry/exit fees when we get off and/or board the plane at the Lima and Cusco airports?

Question #4: Will we have to pay a Peru exit fee before we re-board the ship at the pier in Callao?

Thank you!:)

1. NO-the limited reciprocity fee for cruise ship passengers is already included in your cruise fare (I think IIRC they finally negotiated an $18.00pp fee for cruise ship passengers)

2. I don't know how your ticket was written and obviously can't see the receipt. The $60 fee was probably US taxes and fees plus the phone booking fee but I cannot say for certain. Call AA and ask if the Chilean departure tax is included in the price of AA award tickets if booked on LAN. LAN previously DID NOT include the departure tax. But it has been reported that SOME flights now include the tax. AA flights to/from Chile ALWAYS included the departure tax. But you used AA miles to fly LAN (smart move!!!). So just call and ask. But if you only paid $60 per ticket and booked over the phone, I would doubt the departure tax from Chile is included. It is $30.00

3. I really don't understand the first line of your question. IF you mean the airport departure tax (which would be on domestic flights-cheap-about $6.00 each way), again, call AA because LAN has NOT been including the departure tax on strictly domestic flights but since you have a multi city flight from the USA, it MAY have been included. It was also reported by a frequent poster that LAN INCLUDED the departure tax on her flights but I believe those were PAID flights, not award tickets. Same thing with the $60 you paid for award tickets.

4. NO-but MAKE SURE you use one of the taxis from the taxi stands INSIDE the airport. Or make pre-arrangements for transport. DO NOT walk outside and hire the first cab you see.

Hope this answered your questions. Enjoy!!!

3. I really don't understand the first line of your question. IF you mean the airport departure tax (which would be on domestic flights-cheap-about $6.00 each way), again, call AA because LAN has NOT been including the departure tax on strictly domestic flights but since you have a multi city flight from the USA, it MAY have been included. It was also reported by a frequent poster that LAN INCLUDED the departure tax on her flights but I believe those were PAID flights, not award tickets. Same thing with the $60 you paid for award tickets.

As the frequent poster greatam refers to, I'll add some info. We had two separate paid reservations for our flights within Peru.

The first was a paid reservation from the US booked directly with AA connecting to internal flights within Peru (MIA-LIM-TRU). The departure taxes were included with these tickets. We did not have to pay anything at the airports in Peru.

The second was a paid reservation (LIM-CUS-LIM) booked directly on LAN's website. The departure taxes were included with these tickets as well. We did not have to pay anything at the airport.

As greatam says, I would call AA and ask if the departure taxes were included with your tickets.

Greatam and wrp96-

On question number 3, I meant both entry into Lima on the flight from Santiago and the domestic departures from both Lima and Cusco. Interestingly, after a lengthy phone call where I was put on hold for a while, AA couldn't tell me if the taxes were included.....said I'd have to call LAN. Guess that's my next step. My main concern is whether I'll have to factor in extra time to stand in a separate line to pay the tax at the airport.

Thanks for the info.......much appreciated!:)

As the frequent poster greatam refers to, I'll add some info. We had two separate paid reservations for our flights within Peru.

The first was a paid reservation from the US booked directly with AA connecting to internal flights within Peru (MIA-LIM-TRU). The departure taxes were included with these tickets. We did not have to pay anything at the airports in Peru.

The second was a paid reservation (LIM-CUS-LIM) booked directly on LAN's website. The departure taxes were included with these tickets as well. We did not have to pay anything at the airport.

As greatam says, I would call AA and ask if the departure taxes were included with your tickets.

Yes, you were who I was referring to. But the more I think about it, if they only paid about $60pp for an award ticket, the departure taxes alone would add up to about $42.00. And you have to pay the phone fee to book this multi city trip unless the OP has high status with AA. So tack on another $20-25 (I don't know what it is exactly because I don't have to pay it) and then add in the US fees and security charges. I think they will have to pay the departure taxes and seriously doubt they were included in the $60.00.

Greatam and wrp96-

On question number 3, I meant both entry into Lima on the flight from Santiago and the domestic departures from both Lima and Cusco. Interestingly, after a lengthy phone call where I was put on hold for a while, AA couldn't tell me if the taxes were included.....said I'd have to call LAN. Guess that's my next step. My main concern is whether I'll have to factor in extra time to stand in a separate line to pay the tax at the airport.

Thanks for the info.......much appreciated!:)

I guess I am missing something. Is your ENTIRE trip AA/partner flights using miles-meaning USA to wherever you board the ship, then SCL to LIM to CUZ to LIM and return to the ship and then from wherever the ship drops you off to home??? If so, than AA would have the answer.

BUT if you only used AA miles for the SCL to LIM TO CUZ to LIM, then that would definitely be a LAN question. Just curious-how many miles??? The LAN pass or South America pass (One World) is a darn cheap way to do that trip-about $350-500pp total for the entire trip.

As I pointed out before, the international departure tax from Chile is $30 + about $6.00 EACH WAY from LIM to CUZ and return to LIM for the domestic flights. So that is about $42.00. Unless you hold high status on AA, you were charged a phone booking fee for a partner flight. So about $60pp just doesn't add up mathematically.

I guess I am missing something. Is your ENTIRE trip AA/partner flights using miles-meaning USA to wherever you board the ship, then SCL to LIM to CUZ to LIM and return to the ship and then from wherever the ship drops you off to home??? If so, than AA would have the answer.

BUT if you only used AA miles for the SCL to LIM TO CUZ to LIM, then that would definitely be a LAN question. Just curious-how many miles??? The LAN pass or South America pass (One World) is a darn cheap way to do that trip-about $350-500pp total for the entire trip.

As I pointed out before, the international departure tax from Chile is $30 + about $6.00 EACH WAY from LIM to CUZ and return to LIM for the domestic flights. So that is about $42.00. Unless you hold high status on AA, you were charged a phone booking fee for a partner flight. So about $60pp just doesn't add up mathematically.

CA to MIA, MIA to GIG (where we board the ship)...both AA flights for 30K total AA miles pp. (We're flying economy class.)

SCL to LIM, LIM to CUZ, and CUZ to LIM......all 3 LAN flights for 30K total AA miles pp. As I remember, LAN Pass flights were unavailable and SA Pass flights were quoted at over $650 pp or vice versa. (Again, we're flying economy class.)

CA to MIA, MIA to GIG (where we board the ship)...both AA flights for 30K total AA miles pp. (We're flying economy class.)

SCL to LIM, LIM to CUZ, and CUZ to LIM......all 3 LAN flights for 30K total AA miles pp. As I remember, LAN Pass flights were unavailable and SA Pass flights were quoted at over $650 pp or vice versa. (Again, we're flying economy class.)

Then AA should be able to answer the question of whether the departure taxes were included. THEY booked the LAN flights out of their LAN allocation of FF award tickets. Call AA again (unless you have already gotten the answer from LAN) and ask for a SUPERVISOR.

MAYBE LAN has decided to include the departure tax in ALL intra South America flights as wrp96 experienced. I was very surprised when wrp96 posted her tickets did because my intra SA flights just a few weeks ago did not but I used the LAN airpass. My ticket tonight from JFK does include the departure tax FROM Chile but again, most US to SA tickets have included the departure tax for quite a while.

Let us know what you find out please.

Archived