Cruising without your spouse

travelingtriumphess

I am tempted to go with anyone that asks with or without my DH. I love traveling with him because he is more adventurous than I am so I do things I normally would shy away from.... but he doesn't relax well. It might be nice to cruise with someone who likes to relax and take it a little slower... sleep in, stay on the ship if we want, linger in the MDR for breakfast, sit on your balcony and read.... instead of climbing the rock wall, booking two excursions in one port, staying up late and getting up early so you don't miss anything, eating at the buffet for breakfast and lunch where there are more people, seeing every show and watching every contest.... I am usually exhausted when we get home and need a vacation after a trip with my DH.

I have done 12 cruises with my partner, three with only my mother, and three solo cruises. Next week I leave on a second cruise with my whole family minus my partner (he doesn't have any more vacation time). I am lucky enough to have a job where I can pretty much take off whenever I want. He doesn't. I go when I can and slip in smaller cruises in between our together cruises. We have no problems with this. I LOVED my solo cruises. It gave me a chance to be alone, catch up on reading, relax and do whatever I wanted. I was also able to explore interests that my partner would never want to do (snorkeling, cave- exploring, etc). I will also add that we routinely split up on a cruise ship, mainly on sea days. I like to lay out and relax, he loves to walk around and go to trivia, etc.

We also own a cabin and he goes up there almost every weekend while I stay in the city and work. We have always given each other a lot of personal space. I am not saying this is for every couple, but it works for us. We never have any issues with this.

My DDs are 12 years apart, and they are all I have. One "joke" I tell people is I "have two only children". This year, the Elder married in March, so in January, I had a "girls"cruise. Dh was upset a little when I told him, but he came over from the dark side when I pointed out the dates of his guy's fishing trips, his football ref weekend training clinic, weekends away, etc., by himself without us. And with the age difference of my girls, they had a wonderful time.

And then he booked another for the three of us, (remember elder is married), for Thanksgiving this year.:D

I usually cruise without my husband. He is not a big fan of the days at see so he chooses to stay home. I always ask him if he wants to go and if he says no then it's fine by both of us. Out of 9 cruises I think he has been on 3 maybe 4 of them. I am sailing again in March and he will be staying home.

We trust each other completely and have no worries about traveling apart. If he would like to go somewhere and I don't really want to tag along he will go alone or with a friend and it's fine by both of us. (He's going to Hawaii for Christmas to see his parents) We do travel together a lot but sometimes we want to travel with our friends or children.

Do NOT feel bad about it! My mom, sister, and I went on a cruise in October without my husband (mom is divorced). We had a great time, just us girls. My husband is planning a trip with some of his friends for this spring and I will get to stay home this time. I say do it and don't feel guilty!

I went on a girlscruise in October 2011 to celebrate my 50th birthday. I did miss my husband and family but still had a good time. He said he didn't mind that I went but he didn't like that I went without him :(

To make up for it, we are doing a kidless cruise in May 2012 on the Destiny. Now he feels better :)

Go & enjoy and buy a FCC and when you get home, just book another cruise that includes him.

A couple years ago, I had a friend at work that had never cruised and whose husband would NEVER agree to cruise. So, several of us decided to take a girls cruise. I ended up taking my D-I-L and my sister went and took her daughter. So, the two cousins could hang out together. There were 8 of us all together. Had a great time, but didn't necessarily do everything together. My husband loves to cruise, but he totally understood this - and in fact is encouraging me to go again with our daughter on a short cruise. She's not cruised before -and I think they only way I'll get her to go with be a short one. I love cruising with him - but I enjoy some of these "girl" times too.

I know if I tried every time I turn around I would be saying, " Terry would love this, I wish Terry could see that." I have 3 girls and could have a blast with them on a cruise. But cruising is a special thing we like to do together. I wouldn't mind taking the family but I would not want to leave him out of it. He does his poker every week and last year went to Las Vegas with his brother. Which is fine because I don't like to gamble.

"I took my then 13-year-old granddaughter on a girls' cruise last year and my DH was so disappointed that he wasn't invited that I took another cruise with him two weeks before the one with DGD. I am taking her on another girls-only cruise in June, hopefully on the Oasis, and he is not really happy to be left at home, but...

I am slightly more irritated about it than guilty."

How would you feel if he went on a cruise without you?

Hi,

This will be the third cruise I've taken. The last two my husband and I went on. This next one will be with my daughters and their friend. I guess I really want to enjoy cruising with my daughters (just the girls)

I guess I'm feeling a little guilty. How many of you girls would or have taken a cruise without your spouse?

How many of you guys would mind your spouses taking one "solo" with friends or family?

T. Umphess

My dad passed away about a year and a half ago. My mom has been having a difficult time, understandably. My WONDERFUL husband suggested I take her on a cruise to "get away from it all" for a few days. (DH and I have been on eight cruises together so far.) Mom and I sailed four days on Destiny back in October. Seeing my mom relax and laugh was one of the best gifts DH could have given us. The memories of this trip will last forever. I keep telling him he should take his widowed mother on a cruise, but he is not ready for that.

If your spouse supports your "just the girls" trip, then go and have a blast. Come back with lots of pictures and stories.

I've been on four cruises. Only ONE was with DH.

Two were "girls cruises" with my best buds.

One was with my sisters.

I love DH, but there is nothing more FUN than a bunch of giggly women!

Seems like girls appreciate some of the things that guys don't, like having dinners ready for them, being waited on, asked if they want a drink, or having their beds made qlthough My husband certainly isn't "waited" on guy.

My DF went on a cruise once, and he totally didn't like it. I'm sure my dm did, but she has made him breakfast, lunch, and dinner for decades. He didn't really see why people liked cruising.

Anyway, I already booked the cruise, so dh is going to have to adjust :D

I have traveled many times without my DH. When we first started cruising, DH didn't really enjoy it and I loved to cruise. My sister, who was divorced at the time, also loved cruising, so she and I went on several together. One time, DH and I had planned to go on a cruise together. It was the day following a girls only cruise (sister and 2 friends who are sisters.) About two weeks before the first cruise, DH said he didn't want to go on our cruise as he loved his job and didn't want to take time off. He asked my sister if she could get the time off from work to go. She was able to, so we went on the first week's cruise, came home and the next day left again for another week.

I have also gone to Europe a few times without DH. He doesn't like long plane flights, except if they are first class, so he worked and I traveled. He is now retired, so our trips are together. I think though if he didn't want to go on a cruise, I would see if my sister would go with me. I don't think her now husband loves cruising like we do.

My husband has taken a few trip with "the boys" and always said he wouldn't mind if I did the same with "the girls" but I don't think he ever thought I would take him up on it. I did summer before last though when my sister and I decided to take a cruise together and leave our spouses at home. We had a great time together and our husbands missed us tremendously which made coming home a delight as well.

I used the excuse he had in one more cruise than I did so I needed to catch up. Wonder what excuse I will use next time?

I have been on six cruises. All w/o my DH. I cruise with girl friends. My next cruise is in 20 days, w/o DH, but with my kids, grandkids and friends. He is "thinking" about going next fall. He is a stay at home body and does not really like water. My hope is that the kids will come back and tell him how great it was, and he will want to go.

I always have a blast!!! You do not have to do everything with your spouse. JMHO

Everyone is different. If he is OK with it, go and have fun.

Edited by truchattycathy

I did a cruise with my 22 yr old daughter on October and really didn't feel guilty leaving my husband at home. Buy you dh something special while you are on you cruise :)

We really had a great cruise.

You are not old enough to have a 22 year old daughter! Unless you were 7 when you had her...:eek:

I'd love to go on a girls' cruise with my sister or some girl friends. We did a Vegas girls' weekend a couple of years ago and DH had no issue with it. For a cruise he might LOL although I did ask if he cared if I went to Europe with my sister and my mom. He was fine with that. He has gone to his friends' weddings and such without me (it was impractical to fly out all 6 of us when it was really only important to him) and I didn't care. I would probably have to slit his throat in his sleep if he mentioned going on a cruise without me though. I admit, it's a total double standard. If I ask him and he says it is fine, then I'll do it. If he hesitates or says he'd really like to go then I'd be nice and not go. He doesn't though; I am married to Jesus' nicer brother. He is the best husband ever - which should make me feel guilty about contemplating vacations without him, but I love my girl time :)

I am booked for a cruise in May 2012 with just my two adult daughters and four year old granddaughter.

No guilt involved, hubby is all for it since he has cruised with me twice already (this past March and again just this past October) and he knows we still are planning one together next fall (we purchased a future cruise certificate on our last cruise with the expectation of using it for a cruise next fall).

I've traveled abroad with my daughters previously as well, so hubby is used to me ocassionally going without him. We typically travel apart when our work schedules don't allow for time off at the same time, but at the same time, we try to take at least one vacation a year together. Flexibility is the key.

I am really looking forward to the cruise with my girls. I know we will have a fabulous time.

This is just me but I did this on the Destiny with my girlfriends a couple of years ago and while my husband wasn't upset that I went, I was. I had a good time, but all through the trip I felt so guilty having left my husband and kids home alone. I don't know if I would go again without him. JMHO.

My mom won a cruise in 2004 and she invited me to be her plus one. It was the first cruise for both of us. I did feel bad leaving my husband at home, but he had experienced cruising once in his life with an ex-girlfriend.

After the cruise, I realized how wonderful cruising was and told my husband we needed to do one together. We did our first cruise together in December 2006 and have been on 3 more together since then. And we'll be on another one in three weeks!

My husband and I do everything together and I think if I cruised without him again it just wouldn't feel complete. Of course, we don't have any kids and I don't take vacations with anyone but my husband.

Interesting question... I am going on a short cruise with some girlfriends in a few weeks and I feel fine about going and DH has no problems. DH actually got DD and I a cruise for next May as our Christmas gift and he assures me he will be fine but I do have to say I feel a tad guilty leaving him behind but it's a busy time for him at work. The one thing I do worry about is being at these stops without DH, I have never worried about our safety much having him by my side on the islands however I have to admit I am a little worried about venturing off with just my daughter but we plan on hopefully hooking up with others on excursions and having a great Mom/Daughter cruise :)