hotel directors

oceanseagle12

I know there is a thread that was started a couple of years ago about hotel directors. It was recently revived, but I thought I'd post a new thread to ask my question, since it isn't about any specific people.

That thread and others that I've seen have me wondering about hotel directors. What is all the fuss about?

I couldn't tell you who they were on my other cruises. This is my first NCL cruise coming up this week. :D So maybe, it is something different about NCL. But I've only really ever heard talk about cruise directors.

So, tell me, what is the difference? Do they tend to be more visible on NCL, or take on more/different roles?

I know there is a thread that was started a couple of years ago about hotel directors. It was recently revived, but I thought I'd post a new thread to ask my question, since it isn't about any specific people.

That thread and others that I've seen have me wondering about hotel directors. What is all the fuss about?

I couldn't tell you who they were on my other cruises. This is my first NCL cruise coming up this week. :D So maybe, it is something different about NCL. But I've only really ever heard talk about cruise directors.

So, tell me, what is the difference? Do they tend to be more visible on NCL, or take on more/different roles?

Cruise Directors plan the daily activities aboard ship-when an activity will happen and where.

Hotel Directors oversee Food and Beverage, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Laundry and anything else it takes to run a hotel. A large percentage of a ship's employees are under his or her's direction. They try to be very visible, which is not always easy. Because of the number of people both staff and passengers aboard The Epic, you might not see the Hotel Director.

I hope this answers your question. Cruise Directors and Hotel Directors have vastly different jobs. Is one more important than the other, to me they are equal. What I like to have either's job? NO!! I appreciate what they do but I would NOT trade places.

Mandy

You never realize how important a good hotel director is until you get one. Sean was the HD on my Gem cruise last April and he was all over the ship, checking things out, getting to know passengers, etc. The ship was immaculate, the food as much better than on past cruises, the crew was outstanding; I think a lot of this was due to him, and, of course, the wonderful Jenny Lim.

Thanks Mandy. I knew the HD and CD have different jobs. My point was that when I sailed before, no one talked about the HD or even knew who they were for that matter. I don't remember talking much on Carnival's boards about HD.

There just seems to be more awareness on NCL boards about the HD, so I'm curious if there is a reason behind it, such as a broader role for that position at NCL, or perhaps a different approach.

This is mostly just a curiosity post, and conversation, than anything else. :)

I think the reason you may see more talk of HDs on the NCL boards is because they usually attend the CC M&G and really want to hear your thoughts on the cruise.

Because of the number of people both staff and passengers aboard The Epic, you might not see the Hotel Director.

When we had Sean as HD on the Epic we saw him everywhere. The man was always on the move.

Yours in not the first post where I've seen someone ask the "What is all the fuss about?" question with regard to crew members.

I'm going to respond to you, but the answer is applicable to anyone else who might ask this question.

When your reaction to something is "What is all the fuss about?", instead of seeking an answer to the question, just make the effort to find out for yourself. What I mean by that is: go on your cruise, introduce yourself to, and get to know the Hotel Director for your ship.

When you get home from your sailing, you'll understand....and you will be kicking yourself for not making the effort earlier.

EDIT: Let me add one more thought.

You always see people making a fuss over knowing this crew member or that crew member, but have you EVER seen anyone state that taking the time to know a crew member resulted in a negative effect on their cruise experience?

Yours in not the first post where I've seen someone ask the "What is all the fuss about?" question with regard to crew members.

I'm going to respond to you, but the answer is applicable to anyone else who might ask this question.

When your reaction to something is "What is all the fuss about?", instead of seeking an answer to the question, just make the effort to find out for yourself. What I mean by that is: go on your cruise, introduce yourself to, and get to know the Hotel Director for your ship.

When you get home from your sailing, you'll understand....and you will be kicking yourself for not making the effort earlier.

EDIT: Let me add one more thought.

You always see people making a fuss over knowing this crew member or that crew member, but have you EVER seen anyone state that taking the time to know a crew member resulted in a negative effect on their cruise experience?

Thanks for the lecture. You clearly misunderstood my post. I made an observation of an apparent difference between cruiselines. One of which, NCL, I have not yet sailed. I will be sailing this week for the first time. Hence, my curiosity about what might be behind the difference.

I forgot to mention that a Hotel Director's contract is usually for 4 months at a time with 2 months off before their next assignment. They are basically on "duty" 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the time they sign on to a ship until they sign off. A Cruise Director's contract is usually for 6 months at a time with 2 months off between assignments. They do are 24/7 as are a lot crew members. It takes special people to work on a cruise ship. Mandy 15 NCL Cruises and counting

Thanks for the lecture. You clearly misunderstood my post. I made an observation of an apparent difference between cruiselines. One of which, NCL, I have not yet sailed. I will be sailing this week for the first time. Hence, my curiosity about what might be behind the difference.

Not a problem. You obviously didn't understand the answer. If you want to know what the difference is, or if you want to know "what all the fuss is about" the BEST way (you are looking for the best way, right?) to find out is to experience it for yourself...which is exactly what I suggested to you.

Hopefully, that clears things up for you.

Every question anyone asks on this board can be answered if you just go experience it yourself. The whole point of cruise critic is to learn from others experience. You may not have any insight to offer, but others might, and I'm curious to hear what they have to say.

You seemed to have read something that isn't there- that my question was a judgmental one, as if I had concluded that people were silly for caring who the HD was, or that the HD was insignificant to me or didn't matter. If that was the case, I can't imagine why I would ask the question.

I have always participated in cruise critic prior to my cruises. No one ever discussed the HD, until I started participating in the NCL boards, and I noticed a lot of conversation about it.

That surprised me, and so I was curious to know if there was a difference on NCL. I might see the answer when I go next week. In the meantime, others might chime in with some info.

OP best advice is DO attend your sailings CC M&G. Best way to meet officers and fellow cruisers IMHO.

Thanks. I actually got one started on my sailing because no one had done it yet. So I am looking forward to it.

Edit to add-- that makes sense, what you said about one of the differences being that officers attend the meet & greet.

I forgot to mention that a Hotel Director's contract is usually for 4 months at a time with 2 months off before their next assignment. They are basically on "duty" 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the time they sign on to a ship until they sign off. A Cruise Director's contract is usually for 6 months at a time with 2 months off between assignments. They do are 24/7 as are a lot crew members. It takes special people to work on a cruise ship. Mandy 15 NCL Cruises and counting

Indeed! Not to mention the sacrifices they make being away from family, etc.

Every question anyone asks on this board can be answered if you just go experience it yourself. The whole point of cruise critic is to learn from others experience. You may not have any insight to offer, but others might, and I'm curious to hear what they have to say.

You seemed to have read something that isn't there- that my question was a judgmental one, as if I had concluded that people were silly for caring who the HD was, or that the HD was insignificant to me or didn't matter. If that was the case, I can't imagine why I would ask the question.

I have always participated in cruise critic prior to my cruises. No one ever discussed the HD, until I started participating in the NCL boards, and I noticed a lot of conversation about it.

That surprised me, and so I was curious to know if there was a difference on NCL. I might see the answer when I go next week. In the meantime, others might chime in with some info.

We ARE chiming in with info...you just can't see the forest for the trees!

Speaking to you FROM EXPERIENCE....if you want to know why people rave about Hotel Directors the way they do, PLEASE go and introduce yourself, get to know one, and you WILL understand (in short order) WHY people rave the way they do.

Good for you that you are interested to hear what people have to say. I hope that when they talk you are listening and not trying to argue about what you "meant" to say. :rolleyes:

We ARE chiming in with info...you just can't see the forest for the trees!

Speaking to you FROM EXPERIENCE....if you want to know why people rave about Hotel Directors the way they do, PLEASE go and introduce yourself, get to know one, and you WILL understand (in short order) WHY people rave the way they do.

Good for you that you are interested to hear what people have to say. I hope that when they talk you are listening and not trying to argue about what you "meant" to say. :rolleyes:

Your advice may be valid, but it still doesn't address the observation about the differences among cruise lines. Good grief.

Your advice may be valid, but it still doesn't address the observation about the differences among cruise lines. Good grief.

Good grief might apply in the right place.

There is a board for general (IOW not specific to one cruise line) questions. This is obviously NOT it. This particular board is for questions pertaining to cruising on NCL ships. So if you come here, we discuss NCL Hotel Directors.

If you want to discuss other line's HDs, then you simply go to that line's board. If you want a general comparison, you simply go to the general cruise board.

Seen our hotel director everywhere on the sun a few weeks ago Cant remember his name but he was from USA . Milwakie I beleive There was even a little box around the customer service desk you could leave him little cards with questions ect..

Good grief might apply in the right place.

There is a board for general (IOW not specific to one cruise line) questions. This is obviously NOT it. This particular board is for questions pertaining to cruising on NCL ships. So if you come here, we discuss NCL Hotel Directors.

If you want to discuss other line's HDs, then you simply go to that line's board. If you want a general comparison, you simply go to the general cruise board.

lol my question was about NCL. I saw something different about NCL. And, considering I havent been on NCL yet, I was curious if there was anything to it. Thanks for adding so much insight.

Seen our hotel director everywhere on the sun a few weeks ago Cant remember his name but he was from USA . Milwakie I beleive There was even a little box around the customer service desk you could leave him little cards with questions ect..

thanks. did you know him from the meet & greet, or otherwise?

I was the person who arranged for our meet and greet in January on the Pearl. One of the first officers into the room was the hotel director.. he walked up to me, shook my hand and gave me his card. He spoke to our group and was Very visible the entire cruise. If I had not meet him at the meet and greet, I probably wouldn't have recognized him or noticed him as much. He always greeted me with a smile the rest of the cruise. When the hotel director shakes your hand and tells you to come to him personally if there is anything he can do, I believe that makes a difference in your cruise.

Having sailed NCL and a few other cruise lines, I believe the main difference is the interaction by the HD with passengers - attending the CC M&G is one such example; the box at reception is another as well as being visible throughout the ship and taking the time to chat to passengers.

This interaction with passengers is BTW not restricted to the HD but applies to all the crew members on NCL ships - being greeted by almost every crew member you encounter during a cruise is by no means a regular occurrence on other lines' ships.

One of the first officers into the room was the hotel director.. he walked up to me, shook my hand and gave me his card. He spoke to our group and was Very visible the entire cruise. If I had not meet him at the meet and greet, I probably wouldn't have recognized him or noticed him as much. He always greeted me with a smile the rest of the cruise. When the hotel director shakes your hand and tells you to come to him personally if there is anything he can do, I believe that makes a difference in your cruise.

Rose perfectly stated:)!

thanks. did you know him from the meet & greet, or otherwise?

I skipped the M&G this time.. The Captain and The HD along with the Cruise Director had a 30 to 45 minute Q&A during one of the sea days.. But the Hotel director was always walking around the ship always in the dinning areas he even was talking to paxs during dinner making sure everything was okay and would cleaning off tables when people would get up and leave..

I was the person who arranged for our meet and greet in January on the Pearl. One of the first officers into the room was the hotel director.. he walked up to me, shook my hand and gave me his card. He spoke to our group and was Very visible the entire cruise. If I had not meet him at the meet and greet, I probably wouldn't have recognized him or noticed him as much. He always greeted me with a smile the rest of the cruise. When the hotel director shakes your hand and tells you to come to him personally if there is anything he can do, I believe that makes a difference in your cruise.

That's great! It sounds like what another poster said- the big difference seems to be NCL's approach to the meet & greet. Makes sense!

Archived