Help! Can't decide on Insurance Company!

Star76

My head is spinning researching and trying to decide what company to go with for our insurance. My family and I are going on our first cruise next Feb and I like to be super organised! My first thought was to go with Southern Cross until I read the policy in regards to dependant children not being covered for particular things. So I crossed them off my list. Then I considered 1Cover until I read about the lady whos Ipod was stolen and that our luggage would not be covered when we leave it in the hall the night before our cruise. Aghh... So now I am considering perhaps Worldcare or Travel Insurance Direct. Would love to hear others experiences or advice in regards to insurance.

Thanks in advance!

My head is spinning researching and trying to decide what company to go with for our insurance. My family and I are going on our first cruise next Feb and I like to be super organised! My first thought was to go with Southern Cross until I read the policy in regards to dependant children not being covered for particular things. So I crossed them off my list. Then I considered 1Cover until I read about the lady whos Ipod was stolen and that our luggage would not be covered when we leave it in the hall the night before our cruise. Aghh... So now I am considering perhaps Worldcare or Travel Insurance Direct. Would love to hear others experiences or advice in regards to insurance.

Thanks in advance!

Go to www.canstar.com.au and check out their opinions.

Keep reading policies and you will never decide. Many of my friends have used 1 Cover and had numerous claims. I have NEVER been worried about luggage in the passages- All those large cases should only contain clothes - you valueables should be in your carry on.

I haven't paid for travel insurance for years as I pay my trips with a Platinum Visa.

I have made a major claim - hospital and operation in Bali- had no problems at all.

Good luck with your decision

Di

The 'free' travel insurance available with a Platinum Visa card if great. Our family has had two very big claims that were met with no problems. The costs are possibly an annual fee for the card ($85 unless you use to card to pay your bills amounting to $16,000 pa) plus you have to pay at least $200 of your travel cost on the card. We used to pay the deposit on the card. The TA or cruiseline is likely to charge a fee of 1% or 1.5% for this. The other drawback of this type of insurance is that there is a $200 excess rather than the $100 with other companies. That never bothered us because we were insuring for the big losses, not a $100 doctor's bill. One disadvantage of this insurance is that it does not cover the insurance excess on vehicles hired overseas.

Because we sometimes hire vehicles overseas, we are now using the annual policy from Travel Insurance Direct. It costs $354 for a couple for all our trips in the year.

We have always used 1Cover. Friends of ours on last cruise also used 1Cover (their first time) their daughter had a peanut reaction onboard and had to go to the hospital onboard overnight, when they got home they faxed off claim and the money was in their account the next day. Cant get much better than that.

I have found it very reasonable (the price) and kids free (even our 19yo as she is a student). Fiona:)

We normally pay for our travels on our Gold credit card that has 'free' travel insurance and takes a lot of worrying/ choosing out of the equation... though before that I always used Covermore and have successfully claimed when something was stolen or trip delayed etc... just really pays to be organised with receipts and the fine print!

Thanks everyone!

1 Cover do seem to have a fantastic reputation. Unfortunately I dont have a credit card. So now to decide between 1 cover who happen to be the most expensive, though still only $90, Worldcare ($80) and Travel Insurance Direct who are the cheapest at $78 for our family of 4.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks everyone!

1 Cover do seem to have a fantastic reputation. Unfortunately I dont have a credit card. So now to decide between 1 cover who happen to be the most expensive, though still only $90, Worldcare ($80) and Travel Insurance Direct who are the cheapest at $78 for our family of 4.

Thanks again everyone!

Those prices seem too cheap to me

Di

That is the quote for 7 days. Im just about to do a quote for from now till the end of our cruise. I know some people say you only need it for the duration and others say as soon as you have paid your deposit or made full payment.

Archived