Questions about Suites on the Sun... specifically for Alaska

rjm11

I am thrilled about the new one-way Alaska itineraries on the Sun, and would love to book for 2013. Can anyone comment about the usability of the forward suites' balconies? Is it too windy to be out there while at sea? Or is there some blockage from the wind in any of them?

Right now the forward suites are identified as SB (owner's suites... these have the hot tubs)

And penthouse suites: SE (aft), SF (forward) and SG (forward). The SE's are significantly more $. We will have two adults and two children in there... so comments about the space would be helpful too.

Thanks everyone

I did Alaska on the Sun in a forward suite it usable all the time unless it was raining. The front wall on the sun is much higher on the Sun then the newer ships. The good news it pushes most of the wind up and over the ship. The bad news you can not see much when sitting down.

We even held a small M&G on the balcony the first sea day and nobody was blowing away

1183527226059187889S600x600Q85.jpg

1183493784059187889S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh Great news!! Thanks TimeToCruise.... which suite were you in? Would you think 4 would fit comfortably? Is there any separation between the sleeper sofa and the main bed?

I don't remember the cabin number but it was deck 8 starboard side. We had 3 in the cabin and good separation from the sofa bed. I would however look at one of the aft suites. Great balcony out of any wind and a Separate bedroom with the sofa bed in the living room.

Aft suite pic ps

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2893799860090383340fttrOV

Forward suite pics

http://lrichters.smugmug.com/gallery/1251466#58665438_rjTVK

Oh Thanks for the pictures... that aft suite sure looks nice... we tend to spend a lot of time in the room with the small kids, so some separation would be great..... does it justify the $2500 price difference? hmmmmm.....

Oh Thanks for the pictures... that aft suite sure looks nice... we tend to spend a lot of time in the room with the small kids, so some separation would be great..... does it justify the $2500 price difference? hmmmmm.....

Only you can answer that. I was just pricing them out of Fl and the difference was only ~ $1000. I guess with the potential cold weather in Alaska they are expecting a greater premium for the protected balcony space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

We have done the forward OS on the Sun (Caribbean) as well as the aft two room suite (for Alaska). Both suites have great space for four, the OS especially. Did NOT like having the aft suite in Alaska, would have much preferred the forward suite - the views are just so much better from the front, and since Alaska is all about the views - we even left our balcony to get better views from public spaces. Cruising speeds on Alaska sailings are much slower, so I think the forward suites would be usable almost all the time - we used our forward balcony all the time in the Carib, and it was nice to have so much seating on the OS balcony, plus a dining table both inside and out (lacking in the aft suite). The hot tub was just okay, more of an oversized bathtub, shallow and needing to be filled for each use.

I have never seen the other forward suites (we prefer separated two room suites), so I can't help you there - sorry! :). If I had to choose between the forward one room suite and the aft two room suite, I would likely choose the two room suite, though..

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If booking an aft suite... does it matter- deck 8, 9, or 10? Any reason to select one over the other? Size of balcony? Noise from above or below?

Deck 9 , 9276 , wonderful suite with no wind and fantastic views. Oh , and a balcony you can play shuffle board on..

Have fun.

Archived