Carrying soda on board, but beer?? It's been done.

surrocruiser

Just spoke with my parents and 2 years ago they said they carried a case of beer and soda on at embarkation in Hawaii. I have read through every thread I could find and haven't seen this as being acceptable. Does anyone else have experience with this? Hubby likes his beer on the balcony, I like my soda....

The official word is "no"...from the NCL website FAQs:

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

The official word is "no"...from the NCL website FAQs:

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages,

FYI that sentence can be read in 2 different ways.

Some read it as meaning the passenger is not allowed to bring on board any intoxicating liquors and the passenger is not allowed to bring on board any beverages.

Others read it as the passenger is not allowed to bring on board any intoxicating liquors or the passenger is not allowed to bring on board any intoxicating beverages. If I remember my grammar from high school the latter is the actual meaning.

Since I read it the 2nd way and I have not seen one post on here where NCL has ever stopped anyone from water or soda then I would have to assume I am reading it correctly.

OP no you cannot bring beer sorry. As for the soda, as I stated no one that I have ever read on these boards have been stopped from bringing on soda canned or in factory sealed bottles.

Just spoke with my parents and 2 years ago they said they carried a case of beer and soda on at embarkation in Hawaii. I have read through every thread I could find and haven't seen this as being acceptable. Does anyone else have experience with this? Hubby likes his beer on the balcony, I like my soda....

Perhaps in the good old days , not any more .

;) email me and I'll tell you a little story about beer that I cant post here...

Yes, you can take beer, wine, booze, soda onboard.

Aside from whatever meaning you want to read into the official policy, and what Uncle Teddy did last week or years ago, here is reality:

You can bring sodas onboard. Scan through postings from the past two weeks and you will see that people do it all the time. You will NOT find where anyone had a problem.

You can take beer aboard. There is a very high chance they will find it and confiscate it. That is their policy. Same with hard liquor. They do not catch it all, so yes, some people will say they had no problem.

Wine is allowed, but you pay a $15 per regular bottle fee for each one.

We did the Hawaii cruise last month. They were very strict on not letting beer and alcohol on board in any of the ports. Here were our experiences....

My buddy had a two bottles of beer left over from our pre-cruise stay in his checked luggage. He was called to the naughty room to open his suitcase. He had a choice to save it until the end of the cruise or give it up.

We carried five bottles of wine on board and security took our bags to a nearby table for corkage fee processing.

We carried a six pack of bottled pespi through security and on board with no problem. At the different ports there was no problem bringing soda's back on board.

In the ports security was just as tight as boarding the first day. I might add that security setup is on the pier prior to boarding the ship. Xray's, going through bags. I even had to take off my hat and sunglasses when viewing my ID.

We carried a couple of bottles of beer back on board in Hilo, and they told us they would have to take it or hold it until the end of the cruise.

In all ports there was a bin full of different types of booze they had taken. Someone really made out like a bandit.

Now our cruise was 11/05 to 11/12. The APEC thing was going on. Not sure if this meant extra security or it was just the norm.

Bottom line is it was nearly impossible to bring beer and alcohol on board. Maybe someone else just returning and say if the process was the same for them...

Edited by jack300s

This is what I thought the policy and procedure to be. Since my parents are traveling with us but arriving the day of the cruise, they wanted us to pick up their case of beer for them when we get soda.

One nice thing about buying a bucket of beer (pay for 5 and get 6) you can mix the types of beer. It gives you the ability to try different beers if you choose.

I had never had Longboard from Kona Brewing Company. They had five different ones on board. Fire Rock Ale, Big Wave Porter, Wailua Wheat Ale, Koko Brown, and Longbord Lager. I loved the Fire Rock and the Big Wave.

If I'd brought my own beer on board, I probably would'nt have never tried these beers....So you see, the NCL policy worked out for me..

Hope this information helps? You guys are going to have a fantastic time. If you have any additional questions about the ship or the islands? I'd be happy to answer them..

Jack

Edited by jack300s

One nice thing about buying a bucket of beer (pay for 5 and get 6) you can mix the types of beer. It gives you the ability to try different beers if you choose.

I had never had Longboard from Kona Brewing Company. They had five different ones on board. Fire Rock Ale, Big Wave Porter, Wailua Wheat Ale, Koko Brown, and Longbord Lager. I loved the Fire Rock and the Big Wave.

If I'd brought my own beer on board, I probably would'nt have never tried these beers....So you see, the NCL policy worked out for me..

Hope this information helps? You guys are going to have a fantastic time. If you have any additional questions about the ship or the islands? I'd be happy to answer them..

Jack

Wow!!! They actually have five, count'em FIVE Kona products on that ship? Now I'm just jealous!

I didn't see Pipeline Porter on that list. If you get the chance, it's a very tasty brew.

I cannot imagine going through the hassle of trying to smuggle swill beer onto a cruise ship.

Wow!!! They actually have five, count'em FIVE Kona products on that ship? Now I'm just jealous!

I didn't see Pipeline Porter on that list. If you get the chance, it's a very tasty brew.

I cannot imagine going through the hassle of trying to smuggle swill beer onto a cruise ship.

I'm going to go out and get me some Pipeline Porter! Thanks for the rec...I really enjoyed Kona Beer.

I did try a Coconut Porter from a small hawaiian brewery while in Hilo. Great very strong beer that looks like guinness when poured. Can't think of the name, but saw it in different places on the islands. By any chance have you tried it?

Follow up on that Hawaiian Coconut Porter. It's from the Maui Brewing Company. Here's a tasting video on you tube. Good beer..

Not sure if its ok to post this link? If not moderator, can you just delete the link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3agsk5I3YI

I'm going to go out and get me some Pipeline Porter! Thanks for the rec...I really enjoyed Kona Beer.

I did try a Coconut Porter from a small hawaiian brewery while in Hilo. Great very strong beer that looks like guinness when poured. Can't think of the name, but saw it in different places on the islands. By any chance have you tried it?

No luck on the Coconut stuff. Pipeline is made w/kona coffee. It might not be available all the time.

Yes, you can take beer, wine, booze, soda onboard.

Aside from whatever meaning you want to read into the official policy, and what Uncle Teddy did last week or years ago, here is reality:

You can bring sodas onboard. Scan through postings from the past two weeks and you will see that people do it all the time. You will NOT find where anyone had a problem.

You can take beer aboard. There is a very high chance they will find it and confiscate it. That is their policy. Same with hard liquor. They do not catch it all, so yes, some people will say they had no problem.

Wine is allowed, but you pay a $15 per regular bottle fee for each one.

Yes, you can bring sodas on board. We brought 3 12-packs of soda. I'd carry it on, though. Don't put in checked luggage. I was called down to the "naughty room" and they were opening every bottle of soda to make sure it didn't have booze in them. Same with water bottles.

The corkage fee is now $30. Not sure if they recently increased it. But we definitely paid a $30 corkage fee for an $8 bottle of cheap wine last week.

Wow! Really? Was that a regular size or larger size bottle?

Corkage is $15 for 750ml and $30 for 1.5l (magnums). So if you brought a large bottle onboard - then the corkage is $30. The typical wine bottle is 750ml and that is still $15.

Corkage is $15 for 750ml and $30 for 1.5l (magnums). So if you brought a large bottle onboard - then the corkage is $30. The typical wine bottle is 750ml and that is still $15.

Yes, those are the prices that have been the norm for years. But, you can see somebody is saying something different, which I tend to think was wrong or they forgot they had a larger bottle and did not mention it.

...The corkage fee is now $30. Not sure if they recently increased it. But we definitely paid a $30 corkage fee for an $8 bottle of cheap wine last week...

Yes, those are the prices that have been the norm for years. But, you can see somebody is saying something different, which I tend to think was wrong or they forgot they had a larger bottle and did not mention it.

And based on the price of the bottl of wine, my guess is that they forgot they ahd a large bottle of wine. If its an $8 bottle of wine and there is a corkage fee, chances are its a /bigger/ bottle. . .

The corkage guys (since its sent to another table to handle) are generally very very knowledgeable/strict/consistent when you are paying for corkage. . .

• 2 weeks later...