How To Use Search Engine

Pokeraddict

I thought it was time to remind folks how to use this feature.

We'll use NCL and the soda card as an example:

1) go back to the NCL main page, on the right handside on top of where the posts start you will see "search this forum" click on it to get drop down and type in "soda card" click on "go" and wella you'll have a list of threads pertaining to the subject. If you don't get any info try rewording say using soda package.

I think what most folks do is use the drop down search from an actual thread, doing this gets you almost never any info.

Another example if your looking for info pertaining to NCL and its Hawaii ship POA then go to the Hawaii "port of call" board and do the same as above.

maybe some people don't have lots of time on their hands to figure out what to type in the search thread and sift through the many results that often come up.

Some people may like to start a thread with their own question. If YOU don't like the title of their thread, don't read.

Some of us only have a short time to glance at the board and look at the first page and maybe have an extra minute to go to a 2nd page.

Deal with repeated questions, there are also many new people on the boards at any given time. Just cause you are an expert doesn't mean everyone is

Just my 2 cents!

maybe some people don't have lots of time on their hands to figure out what to type in the search thread...
Yet, they have time to type a question was just asked, and wait for an answer. (many do not wait, and never come back)

Some people may like to start a thread with their own question....

Even if the very same topic is active right on the first page.

... If YOU don't like the title of their thread, don't read. ...
So, true, but often people do not type a reasonable title for their thread/question. They type things like NCL Jade, or Question about Ship, or Please Help.

...Some of us only have a short time to glance at the board and look at the first page and maybe have an extra minute to go to a 2nd page....
But they have no problem asking a question that may well push other questions the the 2nd or 3rd page, even though their question is right in front of them.

...Deal with repeated questions, there are also many new people on the boards at any given time. ...
Good point assuming the question has not been asked today, and maybe it has been more than a few days, and therefor it has move to the 3rd or 4th page.

Just some food for thought.

Depending on what you're searching for, sometimes Google actually gives better results - and you can preview a bit of the thread before reading it that way too. Just have to make sure to include "cruise critic" in the search bar and make sure you're in the right forum if you click on a link.

Yet, they have time to type a question was just asked, and wait for an answer. (many do not wait, and never come back)

Even if the very same topic is active right on the first page.

So, true, but often people do not type a reasonable title for their thread/question. They type things like NCL Jade, or Question about Ship, or Please Help.

But they have no problem asking a question that may well push other questions the the 2nd or 3rd page, even though their question is right in front of them.

Good point assuming the question has not been asked today, and maybe it has been more than a few days, and therefor it has move to the 3rd or 4th page.

Just some food for thought.

No question about it: Sometimes people are going to do things differently than the way you do them, and sometimes they're going to do things that don't seem to make much sense or be particularly efficient. Sometimes you're going to tell them to do things your preferred way and they're going to ignore you.

How you react to all that is a reflection and measure of you, not of them.

No question about it: Sometimes people are going to do things differently than the way you do them, and sometimes they're going to do things that don't seem to make much sense or be particularly efficient. Sometimes you're going to tell them to do things your preferred way and they're going to ignore you....

Yes. People will do things differently - and maybe not so bad.

And sometimes people just make their life difficult.

Will just sit back and chuckle.

I actually appreciate this reminder being posted. Regardless of how people want to rationalize the action, people that don't first search ANY discussion forum are just being lazy or don't know the search is there. Pokeraddict's helps solve the second reason (assuming the person looks first..which they won't) :)

I actually appreciate this reminder being posted. Regardless of how people want to rationalize the action, people that don't first search ANY discussion forum are just being lazy or don't know the search is there. Pokeraddict's helps solve the second reason (assuming the person looks first..which they won't) :)

I agree but I will add to your list of reasons they may not. Lack of knowledge about discussion forums in general and/or lack of knowing what word to put in.

My experience. I found CC by accident from my google search. I had never been on a forum at all on the internet (never had any reason to be). I read some posts but they didn't really answer my questions directly or I was confused by the mixed information that came from disputes of what people wrote as fact. ie. "Yes you can to do it", "no it's against policy", "they don't really mean thats policty its just a suggestion, no one will stop you". We've all seen it a hundred times.

Then you try the top search on the page, well we know that doesn't help narrow down what you are looking for. Then maybe you spy the "search this forum". Keep in mind "forum" "thread" "posts" are all new words to a person new to forums. Because remember I came from google to someplace called "cruise message boards", I didn't come to "cruise forums". Sorry I digressed. After spying the "search this forum" I type what I'm looking for but the default is on "threads". So my search brings up all the thread titles of threads that contain the words individually "NCL" "Dawn" some being pages long. OK still not realizing there is a difference in "threads" and "posts", I try again, time to narrow my search NCL Dawn dining. Again brings me back to thread titles with threads that contain "NCL" "Dawn" or "dining" in them. So if I have lots of time on my hands I will then search for something that tells me how to use this darn search feature. If I don't have lots of time on my hands, I will type in the question.

I think this is also great that Pokeraddict started this but it still won't help completely to those newbies who get frustrated until they learn the tricks to searching a forum and there are tricks to find the information you are actually looking for.

Maybe this will help those who seem to forget what it is like to be new to these boards and like to throw the words out like "just look down a couple of threads and it's already being discussed" or "did you search it?" or "this has been talked about hundreds of times, maybe you should do a search."

I agree but I will add to your list of reasons they may not. Lack of knowledge about discussion forums in general and/or lack of knowing what word to put in.

My experience. I found CC by accident from my google search. I had never been on a forum at all on the internet (never had any reason to be). I read some posts but they didn't really answer my questions directly or I was confused by the mixed information that came from disputes of what people wrote as fact. ie. "Yes you can to do it", "no it's against policy", "they don't really mean thats policty its just a suggestion, no one will stop you". We've all seen it a hundred times.

Then you try the top search on the page, well we know that doesn't help narrow down what you are looking for. Then maybe you spy the "search this forum". Keep in mind "forum" "thread" "posts" are all new words to a person new to forums. Because remember I came from google to someplace called "cruise message boards", I didn't come to "cruise forums". Sorry I digressed. After spying the "search this forum" I type what I'm looking for but the default is on "threads". So my search brings up all the thread titles of threads that contain the words individually "NCL" "Dawn" some being pages long. OK still not realizing there is a difference in "threads" and "posts", I try again, time to narrow my search NCL Dawn dining. Again brings me back to thread titles with threads that contain "NCL" "Dawn" or "dining" in them. So if I have lots of time on my hands I will then search for something that tells me how to use this darn search feature. If I don't have lots of time on my hands, I will type in the question.

I think this is also great that Pokeraddict started this but it still won't help completely to those newbies who get frustrated until they learn the tricks to searching a forum and there are tricks to find the information you are actually looking for.

Maybe this will help those who seem to forget what it is like to be new to these boards and like to throw the words out like "just look down a couple of threads and it's already being discussed" or "did you search it?" or "this has been talked about hundreds of times, maybe you should do a search."

Thanks che5904, I think when I posted my comment, I was just frustrated that I have seen many things before where to me it came across as condesending to new people to the board. I don't think it was really meant that way, but just felt that way upon first reading. Sorry to the OP.

Che5904You really spelled out why I think it is difficult to do a seach sometimes. I know when I respond to someone's thread or start my own, It then appears in the quicklinks, then it is easy to just see what people say about that particular question or thread. Guess I was just saying new people might catch on to the easier stuff first

Happy Cruising Everyone!

I know when I respond to someone's thread or start my own, It then appears in the quicklinks, then it is easy to just see what people say about that particular question or thread. !

Keep your eyes and your ears open and you will learn something new everyday!!

Thanks djmess I didn't even know there was such a thing as "quicklinks" :D. I had to actually look around the main page to locate what you were talking about.

Keep your eyes and your ears open and you will learn something new everyday!!

Thanks djmess I didn't even know there was such a thing as "quicklinks" :D. I had to actually look around the main page to locate what you were talking about.

I always use the quicklinks dropdown menu to get to my "subscribed threads" that way I see comments like I said on those threads I've posted on. When I'm tired of seeing the thread in my "subscribed" section, I just delete it. I usually only keep up with a few at a time and always my Roll Call thread.

Nice reminder and possibly first time information for some.

On the flip side -

Experienced forum users and seasoned members might consider helping the newbie poster when they ask one of the dreaded questions.

Simply saying something to the effect of "Use the search" or similar is frustrating to newbies or someone that does not know where the search function is or how it works.

Those with experience should be willing to either help, or not post a condescending sounding remark.

Here is a single post from the Help section on searching that I found in seconds...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7003639&postcount=2

Just my .02 cents.

Your mileage may vary. :D

If you only knew how many times I sit back and chuckle, or shake my head in amazement.

LOL!

You're famous around here for constantly telling people how they should use the boards, yet with a comic lack of self-awareness you cheerfully volunteer that you inwardly obsess about it even more (!) than you publicly talk about it.

Revealing. But not in the way you think.

You're famous around here for constantly telling people how they should use the boards, yet with a comic lack of self-awareness you cheerfully volunteer that you inwardly obsess about it even more (!) than you publicly talk about it.

Revealing. But not in the way you think.

Guessing we all look at things differently. Though at one time I would often just tell people to SEARCH, I now always give an answer and ADD that a search will find more answers.

And, I think most of my answers are more of how people COULD use them vs how they SHOULD. After all, many posters do not know how to find a ROLL CALL, or PORTS OF CALL, or how to READ STICKIES, or how to find REVIEWS

Maybe some of my wording does not come across as it is meant.

Or maybe I am just a jerk. I will sit back and laugh about that I guess.

Maybe some of my wording does not come across as it is meant.

Or maybe I am just a jerk. I will sit back and laugh about that I guess.

Nope I don't think so.

Although I will agree that sometimes your wording comes across sounding harsh. Written words can do that even if they are not meant to. I've always found if someone misread what you were saying you were quick to come back and correct. And certainly doesn't mean our opinions always agree ;)

And I for one have appreciated your vast knowledge many times, as I have with many long time posters and experience cruisers on CC.

Archived