Dominica Dive Company Quandry

crusinhokie

We will be cruising to Dominica in late January. We were all excited to dive with Dive Dominica based on reading here and other places. Email them only to be told to book via the cruise line as they are the diving provider for Celebrity.

I'm not super thrilled with diving through the ship. Prefer a smaller dive group. However, in seeking out an alternative Nature Island Dive was suggested but their site seems to always be down.

So can anyone give me advice on diving through Dive Dominica on Celebrity (e.g., group size, service, etc..) and information on Nature Island Divers?

Thanks so much!

Heather

I dove with them a number of years ago. Highly recommend them. Great location far south on the island in the Marine Park. Great dives, vibrant reef. Away from the crowds. I found this on the web.

Nature Island Dive The southern-most dive centre on Dominica.

Nature Island Dive

PO Box 2354

Soufriere

Commonwealth of Dominica

West Indies

Telephone: 767 449-8181

Fax: 767 449-8182

E-Mail: natureidive@cwdom.dm

Send them an email or a fax /call. It's not uncommon for websites on far flung islands to go down.

Good Luck

Rich

I dove with Nature Island two years ago and loved it. They came and picked me up and the ship and drove me back at the end. All of the dive sites are really close and they have large boats. The dive guides that I went with were some of the best I have dove with as far as finding critters. Anything I wanted to see they were able to show me-frogfish, seahorse, bat fish you name it. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Have you considered Aldive? I dived with them 2 weeks ago and can recommend them.

I had arranged the dive with Samantha who was always quick to respond to emails and answer questions. She met us at the cruise port and arranged our transport to the dive centre, only 10 minutes away. There were only 4 of us diving, I believe they have a maximum of 8.

Not only were the dives enjoyable but Alan, the dive master went out of his way to make the surface interval interesting too, taking us to the hot sulphur springs at Soufriere while our equipment was set up for the second dive.

Good facilities at the dive centre also.

• 2 weeks later...

We went with Nature Island Dive in Mar 11. Really nice folks. Great dives and very attentive and helpful Divemasters. Had a really nice wall dive and then went to Campagne Bay where we were amazed as what God had put there for us to look at. First time we had seen so many squid/cuttlefish. Followed them (10-12) for several minutes watching them change color. Also was the first time that we had Pontoon boat set up as a dive boat. Tons of room and easy to dive from.

Have you considered Aldive? I dived with them 2 weeks ago and can recommend them.

I looked at their website and was a bit disheartened by the boat pix. No Bimini, but it looked like there were struts to support one. How were you in the sun: going, during interval and returning?

Want to dive there off cruise in February.

Thanks,

Used Irie Safari for a dive at Champagne last January was really something different, pretty weird sticking your hand into a volcanic vent. They are very professional, great facility and on our dive it was only my wife and I with a dive master. ENJOY!:):):):):)

Dive Dominica has been hired exclusively by the ship and one cannot arrange a dive with them on Feb 9!

At least I couldnt and that was their reply:mad:

Yup, that was what we were told too. I never even mentioned arriving via cruise ship, they specifically asked me. We are opting for Nature Island Divers instead. We are there about a week before you.

I looked at their website and was a bit disheartened by the boat pix. No Bimini, but it looked like there were struts to support one. How were you in the sun: going, during interval and returning?

Want to dive there off cruise in February.

Thanks,

I thought the boat was fine as they only take small groups. The dive sites are close, if I remember correctly only 5 - 10 minutes away. We went to a beach for the surface interval (though I'm not sure if this is something they regularly do). I can't remember if there was a bimini or not to be honest but I certainly didn't suffer in the sun.

I went for Aldive mainly because they were fairly close to the port and I didn't want a long journey in a car.

Archived