Voyager Questions

Motleu

Now that there have been a number of sailings from NOLA can some folks weigh in on their opinion of the ship. Also comment on what sets Voy apart from other ships and your likes and dislikes. I know they have a Portofino, Cafe Promenade and Johnny Rockets as well as the usual dining options but that seems thin these days for a ship that size. I have seen the concerns about access to the port area re: traffic so any new comments would be appreciated. I am sailing her in March 2012 so most of the kinks should be worked out by then. Thanks!

Now that there have been a number of sailings from NOLA can some folks weigh in on their opinion of the ship. Also comment on what sets Voy apart from other ships and your likes and dislikes. I know they have a Portofino, Cafe Promenade and Johnny Rockets as well as the usual dining options but that seems thin these days for a ship that size. I have seen the concerns about access to the port area re: traffic so any new comments would be appreciated. I am sailing her in March 2012 so most of the kinks should be worked out by then. Thanks!

We sailed on th transatlantic that arrived 11/12 and last week's cruise that arrived 12/17. The 12/17 disembarkation was much better than the first one. We got off the ship at 8:15, when they called number 3 tags, and I'd estimate about 2/3 of the luggage was already off. We were at the airport by 9:15.

I think that they have also moved up the ship's arrival time to 6am, which helps. We made it about 6:30am, but I suspect we would have been earlier if we had not had to divert to Cancun for a medical drop off.

There are still traffic issues near the port that will be a problem when there's a convention and/or another ship in port. The roads just don't seem physically big enough to handle the traffic. Lucky for us there was no convention activity, so we only had to wait about 2 cycles for the traffic signal on Julia St. when leaving the port. On the 11/12 disembarkation, we waited in the taxi about 20 minutes just to travel the one block on Julia St. leaving the terminal. We were told there was some sort of jewelry show at the convention center that day.

We were also on the 12/10/11 sailing of the Voyager. The embarkation was a breeze - there was no other ship in port. We arrived at the dock about 9:40AM. We were told to drop off the luggage, but we couldn't stand in line until 10. We took a walk to the Riverwalk, and came back about 10:15. We just wanted to beat the car traffic.

Debark - did self assist. From getting to a waiting area to in my car - 1 hour total (by 8:30). And this was with a second ship in dock.

Just be aware when the 2 ships will be docked at the same time (the other ship is Carnival Elation). On those days, there will be over 5500 people getting off and another 5500 getting on.

The Port of New Orleans continues to experience disorganization problems. During disembarkation on Dec. 17th, Royal Caribbean lost my suitcase. I returned home without it. Five days later Fedex delivered it to my home in Arkansas

I have a quick question about sailing on Voyager, not sure if this is the right board or not but here goes. Can I bring a 4 cup coffee maker in my checked luggage? I really need my coffee first thing in the morning to enjoy on the balcony before getting dressed for the day.

I have a quick question about sailing on Voyager, not sure if this is the right board or not but here goes. Can I bring a 4 cup coffee maker in my checked luggage? I really need my coffee first thing in the morning to enjoy on the balcony before getting dressed for the day.

I'm guessing they will confiscate it, but hey you can give it a shot. They confiscated my bag because I had a very small pair of scissors to cut some tags off of my clothes. LOL!!

By the way, we just back this morning. The departure went pretty well last Saturday. We got to the pier around 11:30 and it was a bit confusing with folks still leaving the ship and others (like us) showing up for the 17th sailing. Once we got dropped off and inside we got on quickly though. The ship did leave slightly late as they were still loading luggage after the scheduled departure time. In fact, we got a letter on about day 2 saying some luggage was still missing.

This morning, we chose the early self-departure and we were off the ship and to our hotel (where we left our car) by 7:30 AM. We were on I-10 heading home before 8 AM. It was VERY smooth. No complaints.

The issue (from what I could tell) is really twofold. The RCCL portion of the terminal is a narrow one lane in/out road with real tight areas for drop off. And two the Voyager's loading doors for luggage and supplies and higher than the height of the dock. Thus, they had to fashion this loading type cage to account for this. That slows things down.

My guess also is that they will confiscate it. A better option is to order coffee from room service and have it delivered at whatever time you wish. Many folks do that for the same reason - got to have that cup(s) of java before starting the day.

It seems that the Port of NOLA just isnt configured properly for a ship the size of Voyager. I just think I will have to get there early!

I always take my sissors to cut my hair. On every cruise I have been on I have taken them. I keep a small pair of beautician sissors in the zipper of my make-up bag and I've never had a problem. I have sailed out of New Orleans many times and I know they are the strictest. I have seen them take coffee pots and knives but a beautician's sissors? As much as they cost I'm rethinking if I should pack them! I always buy a cheap pair of nail clippers for tag cutting.

Had no issues on the 12/10 boarding or the subsequent 12/17 departure.

On the ship in a speedy manner and off just as fast.

Note to all on debarkation use a porter and you can bypass the long line for customs as those with a porter get priority. Worth the tip to leave faster and not having to schlepp the baggage in the line.

We have traveled with a french press coffeemaker and either gotten hot water form the windjammer, or ordered it from room service when we wanted it first thing in the morning on the balcony

Archived