Need to book air for Dec. What airline?

Tess2mommies

Hi everyone!

We need to book air from San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale in December, right around the holiday so I don't want to way too long ie. October.

What airline is safest to book through?

American Air? United? What?

Help!

Thanks in advance,

I disagree about the six month window. We booked our Dec 05 airfare in Jan 05 and since then it's gone up over $200. I would check now and see what's available, if the price is within your budget, then book it. Try an airline search engine so you can price everyone that's traveling to Ft. Lauderdale from your home airport. Happy Sailing!

confused.gif I should have booked my Dec 05 air in Feb when it was reasonable.....Now it's gone way up....airlines are going under if not today but soon... I have a friend at United and he says sit tight..wait a "few" months and see what happens... I have another friend who is a fueler and says stay away from Spirit.. That's what I was going to book???? I just check every day and keep hopeing prices will get better.. I'm going to sit tight and take my chances...Good Luck!

American Airlines is totally safe. In fact I just booked tickets on AA for Christmas time and feel no problem with it. United is also safe, and it appears that US Airways is going to be sticking around for some time as well. I don't know about the rumor that Spirit is in trouble. They're privately owned and I have not heard a peep about any problem with them and I follow travel news every day.

The big secret no one is talking about is that GE Capital, who actually owns the leases on most of the fleets at US Air & other airlines, is actually working to keep these airlines in business because it's financially beneficial for GE Capital if these airlines keep flying, bankruptcy or not. This story was in the NY Times a couple of weeks ago.

Willbcruisin: we are booked on spirit for our May cruise and was looking at them for our October cruise....are they in trouble?....should we be looking elsewhere? i'm not worried about May....but have been checking prices for different airlines for October.

Willbcruisin: we are booked on spirit for our May cruise and was looking at them for our October cruise....are they in trouble?....should we be looking elsewhere? i'm not worried about May....but have been checking prices for different airlines for October.

No need to worry about Spirit they are actually adding new planes to their fleet.

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2005/04/04/daily29.html

March 2005 was record setting month for the company

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20050406005644&newsLang=en

Mamakaiz.... I have not heard they are in trouble $$$$ but a 30 yr employee of our airport says he would never fly on them, ever. Just his opinion due to what he sees "behind" the scenes here.The problem with them is only 2 flights per day. In December here that's pretty risky for us even though we are departing 1 day early. I am just checking fares daily and I am sure we will find a reasonable fare.

Actually 2 daily departures is quite common for non-hub airports. I wouldn't judge an airlines health based on the number of departures. Now if they have cut the number of flights, from say 8 daily down to 2, recently, then I'd be concerned.

I know people in the business and they all say that Spirit is actually a very financially-sound airline that is operating well with-in its means.

If you are afraid of booking on an airline that might be in trouble, just make sure you use your credit card. If the airline fails, you will get your money back. You'll have to wait until after your scheduled flight to do this, so you'll have money tied up in extra flights for a while. And fo course, you'll pay more later for the flights you end up booking, but if you are looking for something cheap now, this is a healthy gamble.

Haven't heard a word about Spirit, but being private, some things may not get heard. There is always gossip, and some people say "never fly airline XX, since I know things" but they don't really know things. I don't see any of the majors going anywhere soon. I mean, United has been in Chapter 11 so long, it's like they forgot, and just carry on. I just booked Delta for next January, and feel safe doing that.

Also, check into smaller airports within a couple hour drive. For my flight to LA next Janaury, I looked into Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, and Flint Michigan. All are about a 2 hour drive. Toronto came in at about $900 CDN, Detroit at $500 CDN, Buffalo $400 CDN, and Flint $270 CDN. Guess which we are flying from? LOL Smaller airports also usually have cheaper parking. Toronto and Detroit were the only non-stops, but I'll take a connection to save money.

Thanks Dan...Actually we have a small airport! I can throw a stone at it from my house! My concern with the 2 flights is we always have bad weather in December & it does not take much to shut this one down for a few! I just think I might have a better chance with an airline with more departures per day. It will work out!! In December I'll be real glad to be someplace warm!!:D

We booked on AA in December '04 for November '05. Yea, it was early but we are paying $128 RT per person. 4 months later the same flight is over $300pp. :eek:

If you see a price you can live with SNATCH IT UP! It will probably be gone tomorrow!

Good Luck!

Archived