Travel Ins thru Carnival or online agencies

Not sure if I should get insurance thru Carnival or not. Does anyone know the pros and cons of Carnival's insurance? Also, if you book thru an online agency, what type of coverage do I need? I do not have any medical insurance now (self employed:rolleyes:)so what amount do I need? The online agencies have different prices for the same things I just don;t know.

Not sure if I should get insurance thru Carnival or not. Does anyone know the pros and cons of Carnival's insurance? Also, if you book thru an online agency, what type of coverage do I need? I do not have any medical insurance now (self employed:rolleyes:)so what amount do I need? The online agencies have different prices for the same things I just don;t know.

There are two big questions you need to answer about travel insurance to get started.

Do I want it and where do I get it?

The smart answer to the first question is "Yes, I want it" Travel insurance, like auto insurance, is something you hope you'll never need but chances are someday you will. What makes travel insurance such a debated issue is that you can indeed cruise without it while you don't really have a choice on auto insurance, it's required by law. Personally I think you need to look at your particular situation before deciding NOT to buy it as buying it is the safe bet.

We did not buy travel insurance for our first 5 cruises. We were all in good health and it seems that health issues are one of the big coverage points. It's true, to be evacuated from the beach at Paradise Beach in Cozumel by chopper is expensive. Insurance would cover it. Everything went fine for us so I believed we had made the right decision.

On our 6th cruise we decided, more on a whim, to buy travel insurance. Again we didn't use it. But we ALMOST did. DW was diagnosed with cancer shortly before the cruise. It was decided that she could wait till after the cruise for the surgery that was needed. Had she needed to go in for surgery and NOT made the cruise, we would have been covered. I was sold on travel insurance.

The second question, where to get it, is another part of your cruise equation that requires some study and investigation to be sure that your coverage is good and the price is reasonable. The easy way out is to buy it through the cruise line or your travel agent. They all have policies they'd love to sell you and they might have just the thing you need.

But as with every other aspect of the cruising experience I think its important to shop around. When booking cruises and flights I've suggested using a website like travelocity.com to get a good idea for what things cost.

In the insurance game I suggest the same thing. One site, http://www.insuremytrip.com/ offers a good start. A new one, http://www.quotetravelinsurance.com/ will give you comparative details on over 40 travel insurance companies

• 1 month later...

I looked at the policies and wonder - what happens if there is a hurricane sitting off the coast? Does the cruise get cancelled? Does the ship depart and just go around it and does the insurance cover the cost of the cruise if it is delayed or cancelled because of weather?

Archived