Wai-o-tapu tour with or without Taupo ?

mtpoktz

Hello.

My husband and I will be taking a small group tour to Wai-o-tapu while in port. I understand that Taupo is further away. We will have about 9 hrs. I am looking for suggestions as to whether we should just focus on Wai-o-tapu and some sights around Rotorua, or is Taupo worth the extra drive and time as well?

Thank you

Hi,

We have recently returned from there. The car trip took just over an hour and a half to Wai-o-tapu. There were huge roadworks just before the turnoff, which held us up a bit. There is quite a bit to see at Wai-o-tapu, and absolutely incredible sights. There are also more mud pools nearby, well signposted, which are a must see. You are so close to the geothermal bits. Re the distance, personally I wouldn't risk going the extra distance to Taupo. Especially if this is your first time in the area ie leave just after lunch, and leave time to see the beautiful Mt Manganui area. One other thing to note, is that even the road are excellent, lots of locals from the mount/Tauranga area work in Rotorua...making the return trip a busy one after say 3-4pm.

We have done this area several times, so hoping this info assists. One other thing we noticed, were the tour buses....they did not spend much time there, hence not a chance they could have done all three sections, and got the full benefit of this fabulous spot.

Jen

Hello.

My husband and I will be taking a small group tour to Wai-o-tapu while in port. I understand that Taupo is further away. We will have about 9 hrs. I am looking for suggestions as to whether we should just focus on Wai-o-tapu and some sights around Rotorua, or is Taupo worth the extra drive and time as well?

Thank you

Kia ora,

This topic was raised recently & I would again comment that if you wish to see Lake Taupo you would need to be prepared to spend a total of about 4 hours driving. Rotorua is famous for its' combination of unique Maori culture and geo-thermal activity and has many lakes (good fishing), extensive forest areas, outdoor activities etc. so I would suggest your thoughts of focusing on Wai-o-tapu and some sights around Rotorua (eg. Gov't gardens, Kuirau park & Ohinemutu village/St faiths church) would be the better option. www.rotorua.co.nz. may help.

Aquarians

I totally agree with the other posters. Taupo is lovely but has nothing that Rotorua doesnt have. There is so much to do in Rotorua. We have just been on century and have decided that if we had our time again we would have spent an extra few days after the cruise ended, hire a car and go down to Rotorua for a few days. We were there last March and will have other opportunities so didnt think the price of the ship tour worthwhile for a day only, and it was nice to explore the Mount area which my DH had not seen previously.

Archived