Radiance To Alaska May 04 - Cold & Rough?

Having cruised to Alaska many times over the past 30 yrs and having done so in May, June, July, August & Sept...having different weather all the time, usually quite nice and not too cold or rough but the Radiance to Alaska May 04th to May 11th is one trip I wldn't take for an obvious reason.

It is simply too early in the Alaska season and will likely be cold, snowy &/or rainy and the seas cld be quite rough. The only times I really experienced that was May 12th to May 19th and mid to late Sept..both a few yrs ago..

I am amazed by the prices being charged for that time frame considering what it will likely be like..

For the same amount I can go later and get much better weather and seas..but JMHO and experience for what its worth!!

Ok,so now you told us you won't go,but really,with weather,you can never tell........

It may or may not be cold..

Just like people worry about hurricanes in the Caribbean.....you'll either have them or you can have the best weather ever....

If early May is the only time that works for some people,then that's when they will go.....besides I think some probably are going after the Hawaii cruise(which precedes this one)

Having cruised to Alaska many times over the past 30 yrs and having done so in May, June, July, August & Sept...having different weather all the time, usually quite nice and not too cold or rough but the Radiance to Alaska May 04th to May 11th is one trip I wldn't take for an obvious reason.

It is simply too early in the Alaska season and will likely be cold, snowy &/or rainy and the seas cld be quite rough. The only times I really experienced that was May 12th to May 19th and mid to late Sept..both a few yrs ago..

I am amazed by the prices being charged for that time frame considering what it will likely be like..

For the same amount I can go later and get much better weather and seas..but JMHO and experience for what its worth!!

We are booked on the May 4, 11 and 18, 2012 cruises on Radiance and just had a wonderful price reduction due to a Military Rate on all three cruises.

We've never cruised in May, but have cruised in September and since we are from NE Ohio, we are well aware of what the weather can be. We just layer, bring a rain coat and we are good to go.:D

It's a nice change from the hot, humid and sticky weather you can encounter when traveling to more tropical locations.

Just like people worry about hurricanes in the Caribbean.....you'll either have them or you can have the best weather ever....

Sometimes, that "best weather ever" is just outside of the hurricane. Air rises in the hurricane, but along its outer edge, there is sinking air- which generally leads to great weather. Then the main problem would be the sea swells- and if your ship is in the path of the worst of them.

I am thinking about doing the May 25th cruise on the Radiance. Just noticed a great military discount and hubby and I have never been to Alaska. How is the Radiance of the Sea? Is she in good shape?

Radiance went through an extensive refit while in Dry Dock for 3 weeks last May. We just spent 51 days on her and she is in wonderful shape. We've been on her 15 times and she just gets better and better with age.

You can read all about what was done to Radiance of the Seas here.

We sailed this year the week of May 6 and we had beautiful weather - it was in the 50's with the exception of one day and we only had rain twice - on the first day at sea and in Glacier Bay. (The waters were very rough the first day though).

We were actually stripping our jackets off we were so warm most of the time and our day in Misty Fjords was unbelievable clear. We did a float plane and the pilot said we were extremely lucky with the weather we had.

We went may 21 and it rained a little, and was cold, it was hot in juneau, even got a suntan, some fog, of course all this in different ports, you just never know what to expect in Alaska its just unpredictable, and great, many reasons to return

I enjoyed all the responses with your own opinions and experiences..luv sharing same on CC..

Weather here in the NW can be most volatile and lately has been nice earlier in the season but as this yrs weather pattern is La Nina, it is best to be prepared so I wld like to suggest to all that are planning on cruising May 4th to consider possible seasickness and especially all cruising 'newbies' as the seas are likely to be a tad rough that week...and if u have never experienced same u cld be in for quite a experience...:)

I wish u all great cruising & a wonderful Xmas :)

I would not hesitate to go early May. We have gone 2 times in May in fact the first cruise of the season and had absolutely perfect weather. So warm and sunny we were in shorts the whole time. Very little rain. On our balcony at the glacier in swimsuits. Both times went home with a tan. We also went second week in July and wore jackets the whole cruise. So it is really just a choice and a chance you take whenever you go. But whenever Alaska is a beautiful place.

We always go in shoulder season (May or September). We've had all ranges of weather. My favorite day was in Ketchikan, where it was sunny but cold. We took Island Wings to a glacier lake and it was truly spectacular.

We've seen more whales in early May than in September, too. Some even repositioned with us from LA to Vancouver - we could see them frolicking in the water every day. It was magical.

I like shoulder season - it's less crowded and the kids are still in school, so fewer large family groups, too. Rain and cold don't bother me.

• 2 weeks later...

This is all great information. We would love it if someone would post me specific information on what clothes to pack. Like light medium or heavy jackets. Any short sleeve tops or only long? etc

We have cruised quite a bit but all in the carribean. It has taken me 10 years to get DH to fly so that we can do the Alaskan on the Radiance in May 2012.

Thanks for any info.

This is all great information. We would love it if someone would post me specific information on what clothes to pack. Like light medium or heavy jackets. Any short sleeve tops or only long? etc

We have cruised quite a bit but all in the carribean. It has taken me 10 years to get DH to fly so that we can do the Alaskan on the Radiance in May 2012.

Thanks for any info.

You have to layer, layer and layer. Make sure you pack a good waterproof rain coat as well as a light weight fleece jacket that you can wear underneath.

Um, when I check, if you go later, you'll pay MUCH MORE than in May. The cruise prices in early-mid May are a bargain compared to late June and early July. I was able to get a JS in May for half the price of July! After cruising the hot caribbean, I am looking forward to a cooler cruise!

Ok,so now you told us you won't go,but really,with weather,you can never tell........

It may or may not be cold..

If early May is the only time that works for some people,then that's when they will go.....besides I think some probably are going after the Hawaii cruise(which precedes this one)

Actually, early May will be cold. You can bank on it with much more consistency than hurricanes in the Caribbean. For goodness sakes, we've had snow in mid to late April the past few years.

That said, if you're hoping to catch a number of whale spottings, then May is likely the best season. I've done a number of nature "cruises" out of Seward at different times of the season and May has been the best month by far for whale spotting.

Thanks for any info.

Bringing something like a Northface or Columbia with a shell and inner zip fleece works wonders. If it warms up but has a slight chill, then you can take out the fleece and wear it on its own. If it's really chilly, then you have the outer shell to layer on top.

The biggest thing is to think layers. You can have a warm day and then get pretty chilly at night. If you're prepared with layers, you won't have to worry much. Just don't get here without adequate layers because then you'll limit yourself on excursions. "I'd like to go do such and such but it's too cold and would make me miserable".

Case in point. A couple years back, I had family come up and we did a nature cruise out of Seward in late May. I made sure everyone had fleece + shell. Turns out we didn't need it during the day (it was absolutely beautiful and warm). The fleeces, however, came in handy that night while we explored the town.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived