patches behind your ear

terrirus

I have a bit of a strange question. Has anyone ever used the RX patch that you place behind your ear? I have a prescription for one from my doctor, due to Menieres. The patch is for nausea and vertigo due to eating excess salt in the food. I have seen some people with them on, however not sure if they are worth it. and it there are any side effects. Just wondering,

Thanks

There can be side effects when you use the patch - it will vary from person to person. On the trip we just came back from 3 of the 4 people who went with us used the patch. One experienced absolutely no side effects, one retained massive amounts of fluid and one had vision issues. When my DD sails with us she uses the patch, but because of her size (very diminutive) we have always cut her patch in half and changed it every 3 days rather than a full patch and she never had any side effects. YMMV:)

I have a bit of a strange question. Has anyone ever used the RX patch that you place behind your ear? I have a prescription for one from my doctor, due to Menieres. The patch is for nausea and vertigo due to eating excess salt in the food. I have seen some people with them on, however not sure if they are worth it. and it there are any side effects. Just wondering,

Thanks

You're going to get a lot of different suggestions on what to use to prevent seasickness. I use the patch. I've tried other remedies and nothing worked. I follow the directions and have never had any problems with my vision or headaches as some others have. I change it every 3 days as directed. I'd never be able to cruise without it!

You can check the side effects online. I used them several years ago & they worked well for me. The only problem I had was the dry mouth but it was pretty bad. I can't tell you how many trips I made back to the cabin to brush my teeth. It always felt so lousy I was sure my breath was disgusting. :o

I got the scopolamine pills from my doctor & was much happier with them.

You can check the side effects online. I used them several years ago & they worked well for me. The only problem I had was the dry mouth but it was pretty bad. I can't tell you how many trips I made back to the cabin to brush my teeth. It always felt so lousy I was sure my breath was disgusting. :o

I got the scopolamine pills from my doctor & was much happier with them.

I didn't know it came in pill form! When I did feel any dry mouth, I chewed sugar-free gum and that helped. I drink a lot of water anyway so maybe it didn't bother me as much.

I tried it for my first cruise and within 8 hours I had dry mouth, double vision, was dizzy, and broke out in hives. I ripped the patch off and have used Bonine with no side effects ever since. My sister uses the patch for seasickness and has never had a single side effect. It really varies person to person.

Ask your doctor if you should try it out before you actually sail to see how you tolerate it.

By the way, blurry vision, and dry mouth are known side effects of this class of drugs, but like others have said, different people react differently. I could not cruise or fly without it.

Teddie

I used the patch on most of my cruises and I had the dry mouth but not the blurry vision. At least I don't think I did, kind of hard to tell sometimes at the end of a long day. ;)

The last several cruises I decided to skip the patch and I've been taking Bonine and have had good luck with taking it at night and once during the day. I also bring ginger candy and ginger capsules.

DH tried the patch and it made him exceedingly dizzy.

There can be side effects when you use the patch - it will vary from person to person. On the trip we just came back from 3 of the 4 people who went with us used the patch. One experienced absolutely no side effects, one retained massive amounts of fluid and one had vision issues. When my DD sails with us she uses the patch, but because of her size (very diminutive) we have always cut her patch in half and changed it every 3 days rather than a full patch and she never had any side effects. YMMV:)

Hi,

At one time in the past I did what you did - cut the patch in half ...... same reasoning - wife is so much smaller and weights about half as I do, so I figured she does not need that much of the scopolamine in her system.

Idea in my mind was good ....... the results were a lot worse.

I read a lot more about the Transderm Scop since then, about how it works, how is the scopolamine delivered to the skin ( body) and the warnings about not cutting the patch. The manufacturer does not go in the details why not " to cut the patch". I asked one of my friendly pharmacist the " why not " cut the patch".

His explain that if the patch is cut, the delivery system is altered and the scopolamine could be delivered from the cut area at a lot higher rate than intended and overdose can occur - that what happened to my wife.

I guess you know what works for your DD, so perhaps the cutting is OK in her case.

If I had to reduce the dosage for someone, I would cut just half of the plastic that covers the patch on the buttom and leave the patch undesturbed or maybe I would use the oral form of the medication that can be use in smaller size or dosage.

Now, as I got older the doc will not prescribe this medication for me or wife - too many problems that we have and the patch can make them worse.

Hi,

I guess you know what works for your DD, so perhaps the cutting is OK in her case.

If I had to reduce the dosage for someone, I would cut just half of the plastic that covers the patch on the buttom and leave the patch undesturbed or maybe

That is exactly what we did at her doctors recommendation. His concern was that the patch is based on an average weight person of approx. 150-160 lb. When DD first started cruising with us @ 17 yo she only weighed about 90 lbs. (still is barely 100 lb. @ 24 yo), so he advised we cut patch on plastic back and handle with gloves on, which is what we did and she never had any problems (and this is a child who used to turn green if we took our boat out of the back creeks onto the river). Like I said, each person is different and needs to decide what is their best option;)

That is exactly what we did at her doctors recommendation. His concern was that the patch is based on an average weight person of approx. 150-160 lb. When DD first started cruising with us @ 17 yo she only weighed about 90 lbs. (still is barely 100 lb. @ 24 yo), so he advised we cut patch on plastic back and handle with gloves on, which is what we did and she never had any problems (and this is a child who used to turn green if we took our boat out of the back creeks onto the river). Like I said, each person is different and needs to decide what is their best option;)

Hi,

it seems that your doc is a good one and he gave you the right advice.

The one size for all is maybe the problem and it can cause overdose in someone so small.

I am glad that the patch or "half" patch works for her with no bad reactions or side effects.

DH uses the patch and it works great..the pills, even the non-drowsy made him Soooo sleepy he missed all the fun on our first cruise...tried the patch for the second cruise and it worked great with no drowsiness or side effects..He puts it on a day before we sail, and changes it every three days..so happy we finally found something that works:)

I've used the transderm patch for each of the nine cruises I have been on. I can always tell when its day three because I start to feel dizzy which reminds me that the patch is due to be changed. I was also diagnosed with Menieres 2 years ago. During the attacks that I get I have to wear the transderm patch for periods of up to two months. Without the patch I can't even walk somedays due to excessive dizzyness and nausea. Here in Canada the patch can be bought over the counter without a doctors prescription.

I've never had any side effects except the dry mouth that has been mentioned.

When we cruise again in a couple of weeks I will be bringing along a good suppy for myself and any other sea sick passenger who needs help. On our last cruise our table mates from Chicago were very thankful when I offered up a patch for each of them because they were suffering from sea sickness. The next day they couldn't that me enough for helping them out.

Hi,

At one time in the past I did what you did - cut the patch in half ...... same reasoning - wife is so much smaller and weights about half as I do, so I figured she does not need that much of the scopolamine in her system.

Idea in my mind was good ....... the results were a lot worse.

I read a lot more about the Transderm Scop since then, about how it works, how is the scopolamine delivered to the skin ( body) and the warnings about not cutting the patch. The manufacturer does not go in the details why not " to cut the patch". I asked one of my friendly pharmacist the " why not " cut the patch".

His explain that if the patch is cut, the delivery system is altered and the scopolamine could be delivered from the cut area at a lot higher rate than intended and overdose can occur - that what happened to my wife.

If I had to reduce the dosage for someone, I would cut just half of the plastic that covers the patch on the buttom and leave the patch undesturbed or maybe I would use the oral form of the medication that can be use in smaller size or dosage.

Now, as I got older the doc will not prescribe this medication for me or wife - too many problems that we have and the patch can make them worse.

Definitely should not cut the patch--it will interrupt the correct dose delivery, although I've read many posts here where people have cut it--scary!

Also, the patch is contraindicated for people with a history of certain types of glaucoma, and urinary retention. Even though I swear by the patch for me, I would never offer one of my extras to someone else--it can be a tricky drug for some people!

Teddie

Definitely should not cut the patch--it will interrupt the correct dose delivery, although I've read many posts here where people have cut it--scary!

Also, the patch is contraindicated for people with a history of certain types of glaucoma, and urinary retention. Even though I swear by the patch for me, I would never offer one of my extras to someone else--it can be a tricky drug for some people!

Teddie

Hi,

I do agree with you completely.

Thanks for all the great info. I may take the advice and try it before we go away. That way at least I will know and then be able to use something else.

We leave in Jan, very excited. I have never had a issue with motion sickness, but this time we are leaving out of Bayonne, NJ. So praying for good weather.

Thanks again,

I am one of those people that got relly sick from it. I could not focus. It was aweful. I have tried a few motion sickness pills but they make me so tired. Now I start taking Ginger tablets 3 days before the cruise & during the cruise. I have not gotten sick since I switched to Ginger. Good luck!

Archived