Vancouver Hotel Help

Mare10

Hi,

Any views on the International Holiday Inn, near the airport? For a three night stay, is it close enough to transport re a bit of sightseeing? Is this area safe? ie if we have to make our own way back at night, from the city, after a tour.

Thanks, Jen

It is very safe in Richmond, however, it is alittle out of the way unless you have a car. Do not depend on public transport, we are not as efficient as Toronto. If you want to sightsee and eat, downtown would be a better choice, try picking hotel along Robson Street. It is right smack in downtown, safe and plenty of eateries to choose from.

I am so tempted to bid on Priceline, but all of my research makes me think it is not the best gamble for a hotel room for three people. I have been reading all of these posts for a few months now, and mapping all of the hotels....but they are just SO expensive on the West End considering that we have to book rooms in Seattle and Anchorage as well.

I made a BIG mistake in 2009 booking the Best Western Chateau Granville. It was a nice hotel, and we loved the room; but walking at night to get something to eat was not a positive experience with all of the homeless people and drunks in the street hitting us up for handouts. There was only one hotel restaurant that didn't appeal to us, so we started to walk around to find something else to eat. We finally found a pizza place, but all of the way back to the hotel people were approaching us and asking for a piece. We heard sirens, shouting, and screaming all night in the streets. The police cars came by and made several arrests. Yikes! I do not want a hotel in that area again.

I have been looking by the airport because the prices are so much better. I realize it is not near downtown, but as long as it's in a safe area I don't mind boarding the Skytrain or bus. I only plan to sleep at the hotel. What do you Vancouverites (Putterdude) think about the Hampton Inn or La Quinta Inn at the airport? I know they're not luxury hotels, but will we feel safe there when it's time to sleep or find a place to eat?

I would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance.

Another website is Booking.com

Avoid hotels located in Gastown, it is a nice area but you are very close to skid road, East Hasting with soup kitchens etc. Walking there at night is not advisable, not as bad as some cities in North America. I highly recommend hotels located in Robson Street such as Blue Horizon, it is in downtown, safe area, you can walk around at night and the food choices is numerous along Robson, good restaurants around Thurlow too.

Could one of you who is familiar with the area comment on the safety and convenience of the location of the Hampton Inn on Robson Street. Thanks.

Any hotel along Robson road is safe and you can walk to waterfront/Pan Pacific hotel, if you don't mind a 30 mins walk. Hotel in Robson is close to everything, food choices is abundant. Have a great stay in my beautiful town!

Try Hons (Chinese food) along Robson Road, cross road is Jervis. It is good and prices is very reasonable.

I haven't stayed at the Sandman on Davie Street, but it gets pretty good reviews and it sounds like they've updated within the past year or two. http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154943-d183645-Reviews-Sandman_Suites_Vancouver_on_Davie-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

The location is good imo. Lots of shops/ restaurants on Davie street and you can walk to Beach Ave. and take the Aqua Bus over to Granville Island.

Downtown Vancouver is pretty compact and you can get around easily.

Sandman is very central, just a caution, the bathroom are very small!

Which is a better place?

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Downtown Vancouver

or

Ramada Limited Downtown Vancouver

we have

5 adults - one of them diabled with a scooter

4 children - 15, 13, 11, & 10

needing to get 3 rooms for 2/3 days before cruise

Celebrity N/B Millinneum June 1

both are nearly the same cost.... any other suggestions?

THANK YOU!!!!

Hampton Inn on Robson, lots of shops, places to eat, things to see. Easy to get around.

I need your advice.We are cruisng form Vancouver May 21.We are flying in to YVR 5/19/12 and will arrive 11:30pm It will be a long day for us since we are flying in from FL. Should we just book a hotel near airpoirt that evening /Any places you would suggest. We would like to take the PinkBus tour on Sunday.Should we check into another hotel closer to the action or pier on Sunday? Where and which one would you suggest- something not to pricey but no Days Inn type. We wil be leaving on Monday 5/21 for our cruise. Appreicate your advice.

Wendy; I think it is a matter of personal choice, in my case I would rather get my traveling done all in the same day. Downtown Vancouver from the airport will only be about 30 mins at that time of night. Downtown hotels are a bit like FLL hotels in the winter....expensive, it is pretty hard to keep it under $200/n. I would suggest watching Hotwire or bidding on Priceline but stay in the Downtown-West area, you should come up with something pretty nice for about $150/n. Right now Hotwire is showing a 4* for those days at $157, my guess would be it is the Sheraton at the Wall Centre.

At that time of night I would recommend a taxi, it will take about 30 mins and cost about $35. From most downtown hotels to Canada Place, a cab will cost less then $10....depending where you stay and number of bags you may even care to walk as the downtown area is pretty compact.

Best way to get from YVR to downtown hotel- Also how to get to pier on Monday Any public transportation=How long a trip from downtown to the pier?

YVR to downtown; Canada Line Skytrain -- elevated train at airport, transitions to subway for most of the way into town. It's both cheaper and faster than a taxi (which will be $35ish). I would recommend to buy a book of ten one-zone (normally you'd need 2 zone but it's the weekend when you arrive) transit tickets at the 7-11 in the airport terminal; $21.50 (buying just 2 on the airport skytrain platform would cost $15.00 for reasons of pure insanity). 24 minutes from airport to downtown; depending on where you're staying there's a few stations downtown, and [the last] one that's only 2½ blocks from the cruise terminal at Canada Place. Saturday you can use the transit tickets to visit popular places the pink bus doesn't go, like Grouse Mt, Capilano Bridge, Lynn Canyon, QE Park etc etc.

Getting to the cruise terminal on departure day, really depends where you're staying, but downtown is very compact, and a taxi from almost anywhere downtown to the cruise terminal would be hard pressed to exceed $10.

Good hotel, good location, free shuttle to Canada Place and breakfast, a little bit east in the downtown core, have never heard of being available on Hotwire as one of their 'deals' but right now they have it at $203; right now they have the Rosedale on Robson which about a block or so west of the Hampton at $149 and it is a good 3*. I would probably save the $54/n and stay at the Rosedale.

We only booked our air last week and already Delta changed the flights on us.As it turns out much better itinerary and times.We 'll now get into YVR on 5/19 at 7:30 rather than 11:30pm. We booked Best Western Downtown- Do you still recommend taking a cab to the hotel when we get in.At that hour how is the public transportation?

Any places to eat that you'd recommend?

Is the cruise port in Downtown West area when looking at maps for the pre-cruise hotel? We are going out July 28, but spending the night before downtown and am just now looking. I would like a reasonable hotel, but nice. Thanks for any help.

Yes, the cruise terminal, Canada Place, is in the Downtown-West zone. It would tend to be in the northeast quadrant of the zone but it is the Downtown-West zone that you want to be in if bidding on Priceline or booking thru Hotwire. There are some hotels like the Hampton Inn, the Westin Grand, the Rosdale and the Delta Suites, to name a few that are out of the west zone but they are seldom on Priceline or Hotwire. Now having said that, the downtown core is really quite compact and you are hard pressed to be more than a mile from Canada Place.

Yes, the cruise terminal, Canada Place, is in the Downtown-West zone. It would tend to be in the northeast quadrant of the zone but it is the Downtown-West zone that you want to be in if bidding on Priceline or booking thru Hotwire. There are some hotels like the Hampton Inn, the Westin Grand, the Rosdale and the Delta Suites, to name a few that are out of the west zone but they are seldom on Priceline or Hotwire. Now having said that, the downtown core is really quite compact and you are hard pressed to be more than a mile from Canada Place.

we booked thru hotwire and got the westin bayshore for july 2 and 3 for $136 a night. i was quite pleases with this deal.

we booked thru hotwire and got the westin bayshore for july 2 and 3 for $136 a night. i was quite pleases with this deal.

That is an extremely good deal, lately I am been very pleasantly surprised with some of Hotwire's prices but you often have to hit them on just the right day .

Archived