Carnival's Beginner Scuba Excursion in Cozumel

injunjoe

Has anyone done this excursion? Would it be available somewhere else without booking through the ship? What area is the scuba diving done at? Most importantly, was it a good time?

Thanks for any and all information

Injun Joe

"Joe," there are a lot of great dive shops on the island and all of them that I know of offer PADI's Discover Scuba program. Shops that I've heard good things about include Blue XTSea, Dive With Martin, and others.

We use Eagle Ray Divers and I think if you do a search on these boards you'll find that they have a very good reputation. Lots of cruise ship folks have done Discover Scuba or snorkeling with them and most have had very positive experiences.

Discover Scuba is a program designed by PADI to introduce people to scuba diving before they make the big investment in Open Water Certification. It's a very basic "course" that takes about 30-45 minutes reviewing the effects of depth on the body, compressed air, and basic diving skills. Then you hit the water, go over some skills and soon you're diving.

We did this with Eagle Ray Divers several years ago and really, REALLY liked it; so much so that we spent the rest of our week on the island taking the PADI Open Water Certification course with them. We've never used another shop on the island, even though we know there are some fine ones, because we've always been very happy with and felt very comfortable with Eagle Ray.

Here's their website and link to their Discover Scuba program:

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/diveSchool.htm

For the first tank, you'll likely go to Paradise Reef not far from the marina. If you opt to do a second tank from the boat, you'll go to another shallow reef -- perhaps Dahlila or Paso del Cedral. The max you will be able to dive will be 30 to 40 feet so it's likely you wouldn't go to Palancar or Colombia. But the shallow reefs are very nice and give you a good feel for the gentle drift diving of Cozumel.

ENJOY!!!

Joe-

I'll second ScubaMare's recommendation. I did the discover scuba with Eagle Ray this January. It was one on one, so we went at my pace, and I felt absolutely safe. I did the second dive after the first, which I would really recommend. Chellie is easy to deal with and will answer all your questions and help tailor the trip to your needs/schedule.

I've not used anyone else, so I can't comment, but our two trips with Eagle Ray have been excellent and well worth every penny.

Has anyone done this excursion? Would it be available somewhere else without booking through the ship?
I have done this excursion as I'm already certified and I just try to avoid the ship's excursions in general. You can easily find a private operator for a discover scuba (resort dive) on Cozumel. All the operators Scubamare mentioned are good. I've used http://www.bluextseadiving.com personally and give Christi's operation very high marks. Others to consider for discover scuba are /www.scubawithalison.com, http://www.papahogs.com, and http://www.cozumel-diving.net/BlueAngel/

What area is the scuba diving done at?
It shouldn't matter, all the diving in Cozumel is at least "good", most of it is better than just good. Usually discover scuba is done from the shore, at least for a 1 tank dive.

Most importantly, was it a good time?
If you like snorkeling, then you will love scuba.

frenchangel.jpgdrum-side.jpgvase-sponge.jpg

I took these photos in Cozumel. I don't think you can see stuff like this as easily while snorkeling.

[quote=ScubaMare

Here's their website and link to their Discover Scuba program:

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/diveSchool.htm

Thanks ScubaMare...I checked out their site but I am unclear as to what the $75 lesson includes. Does the 3 hour beach seesion include training only or do we actually get some scuba time included in that 3 hours?

Thanks again

The $75 includes the "classroom" training, the equipment use, and a 1-tank dive. I'm not seeing anything on the site about it lasting 3 hours. Could be I'm missing something.

The way I remember it (and what I gather on Eagle Ray Diver's website) is that you'll have about 45 minutes of instruction. Then you'll go into about knee deep water and put the gear on, get a feel for the BCD and tank, and then slowly get into deeper water and begin breathing in the water. That process will probably last about 15 minutes (if even). Then you'll do about a 45 minute dive in about 30 feet of water.

After that, if things go well and you want to do a second tank, you'll pay another $40 and do a shallow dive from the boat. Again, equipment and the boat ride are included in the $40.

Are you sure the link I gave you said something about a 3-hour beach session? I've read and re-read that page on Eagle Ray Divers' website and don't see anything about time other than the 45 minute dive at about 30 feet.

You can e-mail Chellie, too, if you have any other questions. She's great about answering questions. BTW, we still do all of our diving with Eagle Ray Divers and have a 10-day trip to Cozumel planned for the not too distant future. Once you take that first breath, you'll want to go back to Cozumel again and again.

Huh! Okay, I swear I read that 3 times and don't remember seeing it. DUH! What a dingbat am I!

Anyway, the 3 hours would includes a 45-minute dive, usually from shore. I don't remember it being quite that long but they're probably including the time to get to the beach from La Caleta Marina and back and maybe padding it a little if there are any questions or if you need a little more time to get used to the equipment.

I'd e-mail Chellie if you're concerned about time and see if it really does take 3 hours. Also, you may just love it so much that you'll want to do the second tank.

Injunjoe, I just noticed you're from STL. I was born across the river in Belleville and grew up in Central IL. Should have known -- Injun Joe's Cave and all. :)

You're very welcome! Chellie's from the Little Rock, AR area. She's a real sweetie and she and her husband run a great shop. I think you'll like them.

Hey, what's up with the Cardinals this spring? From what I've seen, they're not playing like the NL champions quite yet.

I may live in the Rockys but I'm still a born and bred Cardinals fan.

Hey, what's up with the Cardinals this spring? From what I've seen, they're not playing like the NL champions quite yet.

After today, they are leading the standings! Ohhh, wait, this is a cruise board.... *S*

I'm planning a trip to Cozumel in January and my brother-in-law wants to try the dive. I did a beginner dive 5 years ago and it was the highlight of my trip! I'll have to check out Eagle Ray Dives.

Plus, I have to trust locals... I work in STL and live across the river in Fairview Heights...

Thanks again...

GO CARDS!!!! *G*

Dennislee2, what a small world!

My brother and his family lived in Fairview Heights for YEARS. They now live in New Baden. He also works in STL.

When is your cruise? We'll be in Cozumel in mid-June (for 10 days). I think you'll like the great personal attention you get from Eagle Ray Divers. They keep their groups small, especially any sort of training groups like Discover Scuba. Their trips out to the reefs are unhurried and very relaxing.

Dennislee2, what a small world!

My brother and his family lived in Fairview Heights for YEARS. They now live in New Baden. He also works in STL.

New Baden... yup, know right where that is! Grew up in Southern Illinois. Is a small world sometimes.

When is your cruise? We'll be in Cozumel in mid-June (for 10 days). I think you'll like the great personal attention you get from Eagle Ray Divers. They keep their groups small, especially any sort of training groups like Discover Scuba. Their trips out to the reefs are unhurried and very relaxing.

That's the bad news! It looks like we are going in August of 2006. But, the time will fly by and gives me a year of reading every post here! *S* Okay, at least alot of posts here.

There will be three of us doing Discover Scuba and I can't wait....

Archived