Spring Brreak Victory-Boozze

sakapfet

Technically no - their policy is to confiscate alcohol and bring it to your cabin the last night of the cruise. But we've walked on the ship with it before without anyone saying anything to us. Guess it depends who's working.

A simple question, will I be able to buy liquor from the port in San Juan and bring it on the ship without it being confiscated?

in 2007 we bought several bottles right before we boarded in the terminal and you were allowed to take it directly to your room

Security will tell you to drop your alcohol off at the table and it will be returned to you at the end of the cruise or you have to pick up the last morning of the cruise. That would suck because if you fly then you have to pack your bags without it and then put it in when you collect your bags, meaning you can't pack it properly.

There are tricks to avoiding having to drop it off.

Do NOT have it in a box with other bottles, have it in a plain plastic bag or beach bag. You will be told to drop it off, but they don't always look.

The second trick is to return to the ship when there is a good crowd!!!!! When there is a good crowd of people that means they are so busy with the scanner they can't see if you dropped it off or not. Also, the people at the table may not be paying attention.

What you need to do is come back with another person and go through the scanner and when you clear you just walk forward to the table, but really walk closer to the wall and just go around the corner to the elevators or stairs and your home free......

The best scenario is when there is no one at the table OR when they have one or more people at the table complying with the rules and dropping their bottles off like good passengers....I saw screw em and bring it back to your cabin to store it or start using it. I've never had security force me to drop the bottle off...I did drop the bottle I bought off once, but really, I could have walked through without doing so....

Happy cruising...

in 2007 we bought several bottles right before we boarded in the terminal and you were allowed to take it directly to your room

That was 2007 and is no longer the case today. You are allowed one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult (21 and up) at embarkation only. Those who have gotten by with it recently have done so by sneaking it on. You and your things will be checked to some degree, and it seems to depend on the checker as to how thorough that is. May the Force be with you if you try.

I think what the OP is asking is when sailing from San Juan, can you buy booze at the duty free store which is located after you check in, but before security.

A few years ago it was common practice to buy it at the duty free store and put it in your carry on and walk on the ship with no problems.

A few months before we sailed in Feb 2010, they started marking your bags if you had booze in them with a red ty-wrap and as you boarded, they would pull the people with the red ty wraps on there carry-on and take the booze.

When we cruised, we walked into the store to look around and the guy told us to put it in a bag, take it back down stairs, give it to the checked baggage at the scanner and tip him, it would get delivered to your cabin. We tried it and it worked. Some people were just removing the ty wraps on the gangway as you boarded the ship.

I would go to some of the recent roll calls for San Juan sailings and see what is happening now.

Archived