New Orleans-getting to pier questions??

stonecruisers

We are going on Conquest in May and need info on getting to pier. Don't really want to go and fight with parking there. Have heard about parking at Fulton St. garage and getting shuttle to pier-is this a good idea? Any better ideas?

Never been there, but heard it is a mess now. Thanks in advance.:)

T. Stone

Are you staying in Nola precruise? If so, looking for a hotel that offers cruise special with parking included may be an option with $7 pp cab fare to pier. It sounds like from recent posts that parking right now is a nightmare. Hopefully someone who has recently sailed from Nola & parked will post an update on the current construction & parking situation.

We sailed out of NOLA in January. We stayed at the Embassy Suites and hired a cab to take us to the pier. The cost of the cab was $6 for all four of us. We went to the pier at noon and there was not a traffic problem.

Hope this helps.

I was happy to see your post, as this lonely little thread of mine about New Orleans parking hasn't received any replies yet. :(

We're sailing on Sensation in just under two weeks now, and we have your same dilemna. I'm looking to avoid the parking scene at the pier and just stay at a hotel, leave my car there and cab it to the pier.

We'd love to stay right downtown, but the Jazz Fest is going on the weekend we cruise, and the prices for downtown hotels are outrageous! The ones we'd like to stay at (Embassy, Hilton Riverwalk, etc) are charging about as much as one of our cruise tickets for one night! Arrgggh!

I haven't booked anything yet, but here are two interesting sites that I'm pondering:

http://www.neworleanslakesidehotel.com/specials.cfm

This hotel is in Metairie, LA and was recently a Doubltree. I have no idea how far from the pier that is! Scroll down to their "Park and Cruise" special. They're offering free parking and a room for cruise passengers at around $130 per night for our dates. If I could figure out how much the taxi to the pier would cost, I'd probably book it, it looks like a lovely place to spend the sleepless pre-cruise evening!

http://parksleepfly.com/

This site has a Cruiseport Packages section, but when you enter New Orleans all that comes up is a La Quinta Inn offering $79 per night, free parking, and only $15 taxi service to the pier (each way). That's looking more and more attractive to me right now!

The only concern I have about leaving the car at the hotel is waiting for a taxi upon debarkation to get back to the car/hotel with all that luggage. I'm hoping that the New Orleans Pier isn't the mob scene and taxi nightmare that New York is!

Let me know what you find out... I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Oh, and by the way, do tell me all about Sensation, as I see you've cruised with her before!

The only concern I have about leaving the car at the hotel is waiting for a taxi upon debarkation to get back to the car/hotel with all that luggage. I'm hoping that the New Orleans Pier isn't the mob scene and taxi nightmare that New York is!

SS Strider-I sailed the Sensation last November. Considering the ordeal trying to leave the port for everyone that day, I think taking a taxi out of the port is a good choice. I parked with the Fulton Street Garage and it took forever to get a shuttle to leave the port. I don't recommend that. That was the only port parking at that time, from my understanding. You will love the Sensation! Have a great cruise!

Archived