prices for 2005 vs 2006

samtesla

I'm planning our 2006 vacation and one of the considerations is to the western Caribbeans, Mexico, and such. Just for kicks I checked the usual travel web sites, and noticed that without fail, all 2005 prices are where we think they should be, and 2006 prices are quite a bit higher. Same ship, same off-season early December versus mid-January, prices jump by 20% or more.

I checked what is being quoted for the same cruise we're in (Apr 30-May 7) 2006 and it is a lot higher as well. What gives?

When the 2005 prices came out they were so much higher than the 2004. There were several threads on the boards discussing this. It looks like it is a pattern. Many of us got used to the post-911 prices, and now that the public is traveling again and gas prices are out of sight, the cruise prices are rising.

The best prices seem to be either very early or last-minute.

It's no big surprise that Princess will try to raise fares. Their success in doing so will depend on how much people are willing to pay to get the cabins they want. We have the final vote in the matter; no one is forcing us to actually pay the listed prices.

It is still too early for the 2006 prices to be discounted yet so it isn't a fair comparision. Given that I've seen some pretty good rates for 2006 in my preliminary searches for a Feb. 2006 cruise.

Scott

Archived