Cell Phones in Port Fort Lauderdale

OfcSupport

I've read many threads discussing cell phones and roaming charges while on board. I've also read that sometimes people are charged for Cellular at Sea roaming while on land at various ports. They mention that possibly they are not far enough away from the ship and their phones are connecting to the ships service.

Have any of you used your phones while in port in Fort Lauderdale prior to sailaway and NOT incurred extra charges?

Thanks!

I've read many threads discussing cell phones and roaming charges while on board. I've also read that sometimes people are charged for Cellular at Sea roaming while on land at various ports. They mention that possibly they are not far enough away from the ship and their phones are connecting to the ships service.

Have any of you used your phones while in port in Fort Lauderdale prior to sailaway and NOT incurred extra charges?

Thanks!

The Cellular at sea does not get turned on until the ship is OUT of port and 12-15 miles out to sea.

What about when the ship is docked at various islands? Will ship cell phone service be turned off, so we can use towers at the island?

Yes the ship HAS to turn off cellular at sea when it get close to any port around 12- 15 miles. You will be using the islands provider and if you are in the USVI it should be just like being on the main land ( but check with your provide).

Yes the ship HAS to turn off cellular at sea when it get close to any port around 12- 15 miles. You will be using the islands provider and if you are in the USVI it should be just like being on the main land ( but check with your provide).

Ok perfect! Yep that's what I was wondering..We can use our phones in the USVI with no charges, and wanted to ensure we wouldn't connect to the ship's tower.

Thanks!

I used my cell phone from the balcony on the Valor in Ft Luderdle Ordinry call, nothng extra.

Ok perfect! Yep that's what I was wondering..We can use our phones in the USVI with no charges, and wanted to ensure we wouldn't connect to the ship's tower.

Lets just say that I have been on 17 cruises and am one that has to stay connected with home and business and have never had an issue with charges made to my or my wife's phone that were made in port or close to port showing up as a cellular at sea call.

I personally do not trust the "Airplane Mode." I always remove the SIM card and that removes all of my worries. I'll just use the iPhone's WiFi capabilities during that time.

In Airplane Mode your WiFi becomes disabled. But you can go back to Settings and restart WiFi - but - also realize if you do indeed flip back out of Airplane Mode, out of your network, look out because your phone will begin roaming and any/all texts and incoming/saved/VM calls will download with their associated roaming charge$$.

But be safe, remove the SIM card and rest easy. If need be, use Skype or Viber for VoIP calls from either the ship ($$) or the nearest computer/WiFi/internet locale (free) when you hit a port. The crew members always know the best locales.

And my experiences with the ship's sea phones - very expensive and voice quality is bad at best, with an extremely bothersome voice delay. Not worth the time, hassle nor expense.

Of interest:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2610115?start=0&tstart=0

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31718155#post31718155

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31713312#post31713312

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31659148#post31659148

Not all cell phones have SIM cards removable. I have the new Apple iPhone 4S which I love (though Siri keeps turning down my proposals). On my recent cruise, I turned the data and voice roaming both off.

There is no problem in Fort Lauderdale. And two years ago, I used my cell phone in both San Juan and St. Thomas.

Frankly, I would pay a fair amount for an unlimited access internet plan at sea. Even with it so slow.

Archived