Glory Questions

paayla

I'm sailing on the Glory. Western Carribean on 5/21 - can't wait! I have a few questions I haven't seen in any other posts.

-What night is the 2nd formal night?

-Is the aft pool less crowded than the main pool, am very concerned about "chair savers". I enjoy my pool/sun time!

- Last question is kind of generic but has anyone ever cruised in May before? I'm curious about what to expect in terms of crowds/ages on boat.

Thank you all in advance - these boards are wonderful!

-What night is the 2nd formal night?

-Is the aft pool less crowded than the main pool, am very concerned about "chair savers". I enjoy my pool/sun time!

We cruised Glory Western 3/26 and it was wonderful.

2nd formal nite was Thursday.

The one day we went to the pool, we started at the main pool (by the slide) and left quickly because the pool was crowded, which wouldn't have been too bad if not for all the kids jumping in off the sides which was annoying and dangerous. We went to the aft pool instead and it was much calmer. Another advantage of the aft pool is that it is next to the grill, the pizzeria and the soft serve machines.

Great questions! My husband and I will also be on Glory on 5/21. We haven't been to any of the Western ports either. Can anyone recommend any good snorkel excurisons in Belieze? Also wondering if the excursion to Tulum in Cozumel is worth spending the whole day on?

Can't wait to go. This will be my first crusie in 10 years...

Thanks!

Wow, I'm going on the Glory on May 21st also. Me and my husband are going, leaving kids at home. Went on Triumph last year, did the Western Ports (Jamaica, cozumel and Grand Cayman) Can't say about the Tulum tour, we just shopped and went to the beach in Cozumel last year. This year plan to go to Paradise beach and shop in Cozumel again. I love that port.

I'm sure it will be crowded, last year I went in June and it was pretty crowded and lots of kids, But still had a wonderfull time. Gina

Great questions! My husband and I will also be on Glory on 5/21. We haven't been to any of the Western ports either. Can anyone recommend any good snorkel excurisons in Belieze? Also wondering if the excursion to Tulum in Cozumel is worth spending the whole day on?

Can't wait to go. This will be my first crusie in 10 years...

Thanks!

we did the SNUBA excursion at Rendezvous Caye. There is an associated snorkel tour too. About 80 snorkelers and 15 SNUBA folks. If you have any desire to SNUBA, want to see more, be in a smaller group and have the cash, I highly recommmend it. OUr 8 y/o daughter loved it.

we did the SNUBA excursion at Rendezvous Caye. There is an associated snorkel tour too. About 80 snorkelers and 15 SNUBA folks. If you have any desire to SNUBA, want to see more, be in a smaller group and have the cash, I highly recommmend it. OUr 8 y/o daughter loved it.

We'll look into the SNUBA. Sounds like fun. We have been on a scuba dive before but have never had the opportunity to try SNUBA. Thanks for the suggestion.

ginam: Thanks also for the suggestion at Cozumel. After doing some research I am in a toss up between Tulum and Paradise beach at Cozumel. Noticed that you are from Missouri glad to see we will have some fellow Midwesterners on the cruise!

We didn't snorkel in Belize, though I've heard its some of the best snorkeling in the world. We did do the clear kayak and snorkel trip in Cozumel and that was a lot of fun. We were all first-time snorkelers and it was fine for us. The water was crystal clear and loaded with fish and coral.

Wow we don't live to far away. Are you flying in the day before? We are flying down on Friday morning and going to spend the day in Orlando just goofing off. We'll have to meet up on the boat some time. Have you and your husband cruised before? Gina

Every cruise I've been on with Carnival has been in May. There are still all ages onboard, but I'd say fewer teens than during Spring Break, summer, and holidays. I've never been on the Glory, but I haven't has problems with crowding at all. Must be because May falls between Spring Break and summer vacation.

Gina-

Our flight gets in Sat AM. As I just wrote that the phone rang and someone from the airline was calling to ask us to bump to a later flight because they overbooked. I told them I couldn't take the bump but thinking back I never thought about asking for a bump to Fri.

This will be my 3rd cruise. All have been on Carnival. The first 2 I took with my family back when I was in high school. I'm sure that cruising has changed a lot since then (10 years ago). This will be my husband's first cruise. Celebrating our 1 year anniversary.

So basicly I would say we are both first timers. Do you have any good suggestions...at sea days what time do you need to be on deck to get 2 chairs together? Which dining time is the best (requested 6:15)? Does the stateroom you booked really "make" the trip (inside vs. balcony)? Do they no longer do 2 shows a night? Would you recommend dining at the Emerald Room? Just to budget (nerdy I know...I'm an accountant) what price range should we expect for beer to "fruity drinks" to wine on the ship? In case our luggage does not get to our room until late what is acceptable dining attire for the first night (so I know what to wear on the plane)? How much can you really feel the movement of the ship? Ok--enough questions...

Thanks!

Hi,

We sailed the Glory for our first cruise on 3/12-3/18. We had the best experience of our life and definitely plan on cruising again. 1) As far as the deck chairs go, my sister is a sun nut and was out by 7:30-8:00 am on sea days, by 10:00 am there were hardly any places. When we went there were 3300 passengers on board. If you go early you can have the afternoon free to take a nap or wander around the ship and people watch on the Promenade Deck. 2) We had an OV midship Riviera Deck, but next time we plan on booking a balcony. 3) Most of the shows did have 2 seatings in the evening. 4) We didn't go to the Emerald Room, but from the people we talked to who did, said it was great! 5) As far as the drinks go, the beer can be bought in a bucket with ice, about 4 - 12 or 16 oz bottles for $16-$17 and the drink of the day was $6.25 for the souviner glass with $4 refill or you could get it in a regular 12 oz cup for $2.95. 6) As far as the first night diningroom attire, if your luggage doesn't show up, you can go in whatever you are wearing (with the exception of a bathing suit, then I'd go to the Red Sail). 7) The movement on the ship just depends on how calm the seas are. We had some pretty healthy swells on our second formal night, between 5-12 ft as the evening progressed. It was a pretty interesting experience trying to walk around the ship, but it was kind of fun. They did cancel the musical show that night because they didn't want the dancers falling. They did have it on the last night tho!

This is only my second cruise went last year with my 2 kids, mom,sister in law and niece. Hubby stayed home. This is his first cruise. Congrats on the 1 yr anniversary. We are going on our 13th this September. We are only 33 and 32 though ( got married young)

1) It was hard getting chairs on the Triumph in the middle of the afternoon, but it could be done. Never went out early, always was doing something else.

2)I went with early seating last time and liked it, because then I was free the rest of the evening for shows etc. The only down fall was getting back from ports and getting ready for dinner quick.

3)I had a balcony on my first cruise, and we booked a balcony again, I don't think I could do with out one now. I loved drinking coffee, or foo foo drinks on the balcony.

4) On the Triumph we had 2 show on most nights I think. EArly was at 8:30 and late was 10:30.

5) Didn't have a special dinner club on the Triumph, not sure if we will try the Emerald room or not.

6) I pre order drink coupons to help with drink costs. I can get the drink of the day in the souvenier glass and then get it refilled with my coupons. I think beer is about 3 something a piece. Foo foo drinks about $4.75? I think.

7) The first night is pretty casual, I'm wearing on that day something I can just wear to dinner, so I don't have to worry about luggage. It's a pair of skorts and shirt that looks like a tennis outfit. (does not look like shorts)

8) I didn't have any trouble with movement on the Triumph, I took Bonine just in case though everyday faithfully. On the last night it was pretty rocky, but by that time I was used to it, and just thought it was fun!!!! My sister in law didn't though she didn't leave the bathroom. Hee Hee

I know how you feel, I can't wait. I'm ready to kick back and drink lots of foo foo drink, dance my but off. Bla Bla Bla Hee Hee

I have been dieting since Jan and I'm ready, lost 19 pounds so far, I'm down to 115 yah!!!!Gina

In regards to Belize. My husband went there 2 years ago when the Inspiration first started the exotic western route. We booked before hand a excursion with a private company called Coral Breezes. You can either dive or snorkel and I am talking about real snorkeling. A high speed boat takes you off the Cayes and there is an outstanding amount of coral, fish, sand sharks, rays etc. It actually weirded me out some but I have to say when we first got off the ship in Belize I was not curious as the country is very poor. Much worse off than the places we have traveled in Mexico. There are warnings from Carnival and posted when you get off in Belize not to wander off outside the "shopping area" unless you have a planned excursion. The guys who ran our excursion were Americans who had moved down there and were enjoying a life of scuba and snorkel and sun. I would recommend them highly but really you must be a good to decent swimmer to handle it. It is really one of the most beautiful places I have seen water wise once we left the pier and headed out.

In Cozumel I recommend Eagle Ray Divers. We have used them over 5 times for diving and snorkel excursions. They always keep the groups very small (6 people). You have you own boat and captain and diver/snorkel instructor with you. The service and experience are wonderful.

In Grand Cayman I now after many times prefer a day at Seven Mile Beach but if you have not swam with the rays you must. If you book with a private operator your groups are half the size and over all a wonderful experience without someone jumping on your head. We used Nativeway Water sports which I higly recommend. Nice new boat, smaller group maybe 15-20 they will move if the area is too crowded and after the ray experience take you into deeper waters to snorkel and see ocean life etc. I also have heard good feedback about Captain Mervins and Captain Bryan's.

Everyone has their own opinions and experiences but I have found booking excursions on our own not only saves a lot of money but is a great experience and more private. We have done plenty of excursions through the cruiselines as well always when we have our young boys (3 and 6) so it just depends on where you are going and what you want to do.

Have a wonderful time. We are next on the Glory in August on the eastern route which I pray we get there since last Septemeber we were on the Princess CP that had to switch to the western route from eastern due to the hurricane and then we were stuck at sea for 3 extra days.

Have fun :)

I'm leaving this Saturday 4/16 on the Glory. I will post a review for you all when I return. We are going to the Emerald Room as well, so I'll post a review on that as well. We are very excited as this will be our first cruise!

Thanks EVERYONE for all of the info on Glory! :)

Does ANYONE know if you can book Shore Excursions in your CABIN by using an interactive feature on the TV? :confused:

ashumate ....Have a wonderful cruise! We'll be looking forward to reading your review!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Disneycruiser#1:

Do these places have a website? How did you get in touch with them to book prior to leaving on your cruise?

Hope you have good weather in Aug for your Eastern cruise. Thanks!

ginam:

Thanks for all the good tips and information. I'm also finding that since we've booked the trip it has given me a lot more incentive to eat better and exercise more. Keep up the good work!

I'm starting to think we should have booked a room with a balcony. I guess you live and learn...there will always be next time.

We married a little later...26 and 33.

Have you ever pre-booked any of your excursions online with Carnival? I've completed the Fun Pass online and entered the booking number that our travel agent gave us but haven't recieved any cruise documents from Carnival yet. When do those usually come?

I booked 2 of our shore excursions on line for this trip. I have heard it's the way to go, so they don't run out. I guess they deliver your tickets to your room the first night. If you don't I would order them on your interactive tv asap so they don't run out.

We have not received our docs yet either, but my agent said today that we should get them in about a week.

I can't wait, when we get to the "30" day mark all my suit cases come out and the packing really begins. I already have most of my carry on stuff packed. Hee Hee

Yes, you can do this on Glory.

Thanks for answering! Very good to know! :cool:

Naturally, we will book "On Line" any Carnival excursions that we really want to do!

Thanks again, disneysteve! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Just wanted to thank everyone for answering all my questions and for all the great info on the Glory. We will be on our honeymoon so I have to get through the wedding before the cruise. Whenever I get stressed with all my wedding planning I look at read these boards and it always relaxs me.

AN123 - Happy Anniversary, my fiance and I are both 40 getting married for the first time - that's later!

SwtHeartMB: The two formal nights are Sunday and I think Thursday. Not positive on the Thursday.

Paayla: DH and I also married later (35 & 34). You are going to have a wonderful time on your honeymoon cruise. We did the same and it was so relaxing and romantic. Have a great time and congratulations! When we went on our first cruise six years ago, I didn't know about these boards!

AN123 - Usually you get your cruise docs 2-3 weeks before your sail date. Don't worry, if you don't get them, you can still check in at the dock.

Archived