Thomson In Flight Meals

The Thomson website seems to suggest that there is a new menu on UK flights for in flight snacks. This year was really poor and i just wondered if you have not bought in flight meals is there anything better on UK flight trolleys or is it better to get a sandwich at the airport. I find Chilli and Tandoori Chicken a bit too much in the morning. If you dont fancy this it leaves a poor choice of crisps and chocolate. Some of the no frills airlines sell sandwiches. Anyone flown recently?:)

The Thomson website seems to suggest that there is a new menu on UK flights for in flight snacks. This year was really poor and i just wondered if you have not bought in flight meals is there anything better on UK flight trolleys or is it better to get a sandwich at the airport. I find Chilli and Tandoori Chicken a bit too much in the morning. If you dont fancy this it leaves a poor choice of crisps and chocolate. Some of the no frills airlines sell sandwiches. Anyone flown recently?:)

We flew in November and the 'new' menu was in operation. I think there is a better selection of 'snacks' than what was available before if you hadn't booked in-flight meals (as you say there was a very poor selection - I preferred it some time ago when they offered a BLT or something similar and another sandwich variety). I can't remember the details but they did have pizza and chips - but they didn't look great and someone posted that they were not too good to eat either.

My choice would be to buy a sandwich in the airport but perhaps someone will have a better recollection of the 'new' choices on board and there may be something to suit you.

See my recent post titled Celebration through the Suez. My wife had the pizza and chips, the pizza overcooked and the chips soggy. I had the bacon baguette and the soggy chips. The baguette was not bad but in my opinion and my taste only I would suggest taking your own on board. They would be cheaper for a start. £10 for a baguette, pizza and rotten chips was a bit too much!!!!

You don't even need to buy at the airport, how about making whatever you fancy at home and taking it with you,cheaper as well!!

Yes, I do that too blossom if we are travelling from our local airport. If we have to go to Gatwick and have an overnight though, I often get sandwiches from M&S food before check-in and find it's a useful stand-by - and generally cheaper than the coffee-house type outlets inside Departures - or at least that's been my impression.

Coming back can be a bit more difficult though - there are usually very inflated prices for water and food inside the airports - they have you over a barrel really. We try to get some snack-type eats at a local supermarket before we go to the airport but depending on the flight-length we do sometimes buy Thomson's food on board but it has been disappointing of late. From Paco52's post doesn't sound like the new menus's too appealing either.

Are there any problems getting sandwiches etc. through the airport security checks?

Sandwiches are fine - drinks not - you will have to buy those after security. Although I think you wouldn't be able to take mousse-style or yoghurt type products through if over 100ml because they would be a bit like toothpaste, cosmetics, shampoo and other liquidy kind of things and come under your 'Liquids' restrictions.

We generally have our home-made rolls and a piece of cake, Kit-Kat, crisps etc - or alternatively M&S version of same. Never ever had an issue going through security with those.

Sandwiches are fine - drinks not - you will have to buy those after security. Although I think you wouldn't be able to take mousse-style or yoghurt type products through if over 100ml because they would be a bit like toothpaste, cosmetics, shampoo and other liquidy kind of things and come under your 'Liquids' restrictions.

We generally have our home-made rolls and a piece of cake, Kit-Kat, crisps etc - or alternatively M&S version of same. Never ever had an issue going through security with those.

You can take your own minature spirits through security as these are 50ml bottles then mix them with the soft drink of your choice purchased in the Terminal:D. We (and others I've spotted) do it all the time, never been questioned. There is nothing in the legislation to prevent you taking such liquids in bottles less than 100 ml through security as long as they are in the re sealable plastic bags (cant remember the size).

You can take your own minature spirits through security as these are 50ml bottles then mix them with the soft drink of your choice purchased in the Terminal:D. We (and others I've spotted) do it all the time, never been questioned. There is nothing in the legislation to prevent you taking such liquids in bottles less than 100 ml through security as long as they are in the re sealable plastic bags (cant remember the size).

What a good idea! Never thought of that - I must confess when I mentioned drinks I was thinking of bottled water (which is cheaper from the likes of Boots and WHS than on board)!!!! :D:D I'll bear your suggestion in mind for the future! ;)

What a good idea! Never thought of that - I must confess when I mentioned drinks I was thinking of bottled water (which is cheaper from the likes of Boots and WHS than on board)!!!! :D:D I'll bear your suggestion in mind for the future! ;)

I find that if you drink down to the label on coke /sprite then top up with approx 2.5 50 ml bottles of spirit (vodka for us) then its just about right:D 1st drink may be slightly strong since the 'mix' is still trying to settle. Do it in Terminal and not on plane;)

Boots is def. cheaper than WH Smith as I already knew but I didn't think there was a Boots at Edinburgh airport so went straight to WH Smith as I was also taking Irn Bru out for Ross on the entertainment team, I was most miffed when I saw I could have got 3 bottles for price of 1 I paid at Smiths:(

I find that if you drink down to the label on coke /sprite then top up with approx 2.5 50 ml bottles of spirit (vodka for us) then its just about right:D 1st drink may be slightly strong since the 'mix' is still trying to settle. Do it in Terminal and not on plane;)

Boots is def. cheaper than WH Smith as I already knew but I didn't think there was a Boots at Edinburgh airport so went straight to WH Smith as I was also taking Irn Bru out for Ross on the entertainment team, I was most miffed when I saw I could have got 3 bottles for price of 1 I paid at Smiths:(

I can tell you've had practice at this! I'll try out the 'recipe' next time and send a toast through the ether to you as I sip!!! :D

-----------------------------------------------

We always take a light snack to the airport :D

Stevie

Giant-Sandwich.jpg

The airline small print states that only alcohol purchased on board the plane may be consumed on board the plane.

Carol x

I too had the famous Chicago Town Pizza and soggy fries combo. I think we should consider reporting Thomson Airways to trading standards as the packaging for the fries clearly says 'Crispy Fries'. They couldn't be any less crispy if they'd boiled them in water! :D

The airline small print states that only alcohol purchased on board the plane may be consumed on board the plane.

Carol x

:eek:OMG I am so sorry I may have inferred that I have flouted Thomson Law:rolleyes: Thanks for pointing this out, but I don't think my post said anything about consuming on the plane just mixing the concoction in the terminal;)

thanks everyone for the tips. looks like pre bought sarnies for this trip and i love the idea of booze and coke. We fly out sat 4th Feb to Gran Canaria, cant wait. Still trying to decide if its worth buying the drinks option at £398 for the two of us. the Spirit in october cost about £4 a drink so we only needed to consume 100 drinks over the week between us, thats 7 each per day. What does everyone think?:)

thanks everyone for the tips. looks like pre bought sarnies for this trip and i love the idea of booze and coke. We fly out sat 4th Feb to Gran Canaria, cant wait. Still trying to decide if its worth buying the drinks option at £398 for the two of us. the Spirit in october cost about £4 a drink so we only needed to consume 100 drinks over the week between us, thats 7 each per day. What does everyone think?:)

I didn't think you could buy the drinks package after you have booked.:confused:

Archived