Why this is the cruise i need the most. A story

majosa

I wondered how to word this post. I wanted to say first how very excited I am about this cruise! It has been almost 5 years since our last one. We leave next Saturday Jan 7th! We booked it back in late Feb. to help celebrate our upcoming 10 yr wedding anniversary as well as my birthday.

We also felt it would help us. Joe, my dear husband had just lost his father in Nov 2010 from brain cancer. It was such a shock and so much sadness. This man was like a father to me and i loved him dearly ( my own father passed away when i was 9. I am 37 now).

As this year moved forward it seemed that 2011 was not going to be such a great year!

Joe became very very sick. He was in and out of the hospital in May. We thought we were in the clear ( btw Joe is only 33 so his health before hand had always been great) Even though we still had no answers as to what was wrong.

Then I get a call in early June (the 3rd) telling me my beloved momma had passed away in her sleep. I was shocked and heart broken! My momma was gone! I know it happens all the time but when it turns out to be YOUR parent it seems so unreal! I was in a fog really till late Aug. Then i began to get excited about the upcoming cruise! I mean goodness i really needed it now!

Then Joe ends up back in the hospital 2 more times between the end of Aug and The first of Oct. He has a stress test, heart cath etc etc. Nobody could figure out what was causing his sickness. He went on medical leave till the first of Dec.

Okay maybe now things will be good.

Sadly no :(.

My oldest brother, whom i have idolized since i took my first breathe, was very sick! ( he is 14 years older than me so he helped momma raise me after my daddy died. So he and I have always been close)

I live almost 4 hours away from him so i rushed to the hospital. He had been told a year and a half ago he had cirrhosis of the liver. He quit drinking on the spot but his health was already damaged. But he seemed to be good. He did everything the doctors told him to do.

Anyway when i got to the hospital they said he was very sick because the ammonia had built up in his system. After almost a week he was so much better they let him leave. I brought him home with me where he stayed for 2 weeks. He continued to go down hill. He was in and out of the hospital here. I cried every day cause i knew he was getting sicker. I took care of him. I had to clean him, bath him, brush his teeth, feed him. Everything. But i did not care. This was my big brother and there was NOTHING I would not do for him. His memory came and went. He wanted to return to his home. So he did and my other brother watched him and stayed with him. After 2 days he was back in the hospital.

This time it was much worse. They could not get the levels down. I talked to him every day. Told him i loved him so much.

He had been admitted on a Tuesday. By friday he had a seizure and went unconscious. But for those who are believers please know that he ask Christ for forgivness of his sins and and to come back in to his life. Joe and I went to the hospital. It was not good.

He was on a breathing machine. Donnie ( the one in the hospital) had in his will he did not want to be kept alive by a machine. We ( my other brother and I) made the decision to remove the breathing machine. By this time his organs had all started shutting down. After the tube was taken out he lasted 8 hours and 6 mins. MY wonderful and sweet protective brother died on November 14th.

My heart felt like it was in a million pieces. I lost a father in law, my momma and my brother in less than a year.

I am a Christian and i trust the Lord. I gave him all the hurt and anger and pain. I still cry and still miss them but i know where they are and I am at peace.

Joes health has not gotten worse and he is a lot better. Still no real answers on why all the problems but God is good and has a reason and I trust him.

Now I have 8 days till this cruise. I think i need it! It has been the longest and hardest year of my life. But i know I was loved by all of those i lost and i know they would not want me to be sad all the time. They would want me to be happy.

Always remember life is just a breathe and then it is gone. Always smile, hold no hurts. You get one shot at life. Live, laugh and Love!!

I understand a little about what you are going through. I just lost my father this February 2011 from brain cancer. He was diagnosed in August of 2010. He was a very healthy and active 80 year old, and it was very sudden. We had a cruise booked for November 2010 (which we cancelled).

I know exactly what you mean about need to get away.

However I will also say that I know that it does help with the the grief you have experienced to be with and share with as many of your friends as you can. Just as good times are multiplied by the number of friends, difficulty and sadness are divided by the number of people who love you.

I agree you do need to get away.

In a way your story reminds me of my own. My husband and I have talked about going on another cruise for the last 10 years... instead we had four babies:) November 14, 2010 my mother died very suddenly of a ruptured aneurysm (she was 50), my grandmother had been very sick and died later that night. I cannot even begin to describe the heartbreak I felt... My baby was only 12 weeks old so I just could NOT get away. We planned our cruise so we would have something to look forward to... I cannot believe so much time has passed. We too cruise on the 7th. It's also our 10th anniversary and my husband's b-day is the 4th.

Sending you healing vibes and good thoughts. Hoping you have an awesome cruise (((hugs)))

I know what you mean. I too lost my father,but that was just over 2 yrs ago. We were able to finally settle his estate this past summer. I booked our March cruise with part of the settlement. I believe that we will still have some funds coming in during this coming summer and then I might book my Alaskan cruise that I have been trying to take for about 4-5 yrs now.

During this cruise, take the time to find the Serenity deck and reflect on the good times that both you DH & you had with each member that you have lost.

I hope you and your DH have a wonderful relaxing cruise. Live each day like it is your last.

My mother passed away in March of this year and no matter how old ones mom is....it is still your mom.

Sending prayers your way....with the knowledge that the Good Lord will keep you in his palm.

We found out today that another relative passed away this morning. My brother posted on FaceBook that "2012 needs to hurry up and get here" because we too suffered the loss of many dear relatives beginning with the loss of my dear father in February 2011. This still hurts and I know that it will hurt for as long as I am alive because he was loved so much. I know where he is, he no longer suffers-I am a Christian too and I KNOW I will see him again.

I am so sorry for your loss. May you and your family find peace in the Lord.

My boss often say "Love your loved ones and love them often."

Here is a ((((hug))))) for you!

Enjoy your cruise. You deserve it.

Two of my friends have both lost husbands on this Christmas day. 50 and 38 year old men, seemingly in perfect health. Heart attacks took them both. Life is precious, so enjoy each day.

Go on your cruise, and have a wonderful time. Each one of your loved ones would want you to have fun, so take a deep breath, and relax on your trip.

Thank you all for the kind words. :) I am ready for next Friday to get here so we can leave! But alas i still have 4 working days left :(

But i have so much to do as for last minute things that this week will fly by! Wishing everyone a safe and happy new year! 2012 will be a great year!

God bless you, you really do need this cruise. DW and I always look out over the Caribbean, when all you can see is water, and marvel at how vast this world that God created is and how blessed we are to be able to go out and see different places.:D Hope you and Joe have a fantastic time on your cruise.

Thank you for sharing all of this with us. Yes, you're right, you do need a cruise! It's been a hard year.

But you have what matters more than a cruise, you have your Faith in Christ, and so does your departed loved ones.

You will be in my prayers. (You leave the day before my birthday!)

We're sailing on my dh's birthday, and our anniversary, in Feb.

I know you'll have a wonderful time, it's a gift from God. Enjoy every minute!

Archived