Few Pre-Booking Wedding Questions

cupcake8503

Hello everyone. I'm new to the board and wanted to ask a few questions about booking an embarkment day wedding on the Miracle in NYC.

1) Since my parents will be paying for the wedding, when I call the wedding department to book my wedding date will I be able to use their card to pay or do my parents have to call and book it for me?

2) I will be getting the deluxe romance package and want to know if it is ok for my parents to just pay for the initial package and as we add more guests, pay for them later. I'm inviting more than 20 people but I don't want them to pay for more than 20 without knowing the final guest list count.

3) How many weddings on embarkment day does the Miracle allow in NYC? (just wondering if I will be the only bride)

4) Is it mean to not invite people on my cruise? LOL I don't want people bothering us or expecting us to accompany/babysit them on the cruise. (I'm not mean, I promise :))

Also, I would like to say that this board is heaven sent. So much useful info!

1) You can do it that way . They will hold the wedding date for 24 hrs w/o pky. You can also overnight a check to them.

2)yes, you pay for the basic pkg. You won't have to pay for the extra guests until you need to submit the final guest list.

3) at most there would be 3 weddings on embarkation day. ( one of each kind, so be sure to book early if you want that one). Depending on the ship and port it may only be two. (my port only allows the welcome aboard and the bride and groom pkg.)

Hey! I am sailing and getting married on the Miracle in 37 days!! leaving out of Ft Lauderdale.

It has been a really easy process. I also ordered the Delux Romance package!

They first will book your package and then will ask you for any upgrades: floral, entertainment...(They just kept my parents CC on file for all the expenses and add ons)

And yes you wont need to pay for your finaly guests until you submit the guest list. I am in the process of finalizing this now. Be sure to ask for people to RSVP well in advance of the date Carnival needs this paper work. I am still chasing people down!

If you want the DJ be sure to book early since it could be booked by another couple.

I ordered silk natural touch flowers for the wedding since Carnival's upgrades were more expensive.

We did ask everyone to cruise but will only have 24 cruising and about 40 are attending. I don't think its rude at all to not ask them to cruise. Just invite people to come to the ceremony followed by a reception and then you will be leaving directly for your honeymoon!

let me know if you have any questions!

I will be sure to put up a review w/ photos once we get back!!

Hey Cupcake,

Congrats! I am getting married in April on the Conquest!

I am also not allowing anyone to sail with us. We just want to spend the time together and not have to worry about entertaining any of our guests. I am just making it clear in the beginning so there is no confusion.

Hey Cupcake,

Congrats! I am getting married in April on the Conquest!

I am also not allowing anyone to sail with us. We just want to spend the time together and not have to worry about entertaining any of our guests. I am just making it clear in the beginning so there is no confusion.

Congrats! And I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I feel better now. :)

I had a similar concern about guests attending our honeymoon, and another cruise bride suggested the invitation be wondered like any other wedding invitation. (which implies wedding and reception only)

That's a great suggestion. I will definitely word my invitations the traditional way.

We are getting married on the Glory in August out of NYC!

Once we had made the decision to have a cruise wedding, we sent a formal email to our family and very close friends - about the details. From there it was up to them to decide who wanted to join us and who didnt. We actually ended up with 35 people booking the cruise to join us.

I will tell you, that even though I am not going to babysit either - having a group of people with you on a cruise is so much more fun than just have 2 people...but, also - we arent treating it like our honeymoon. we are going to be taking our personal honeymoon at a later date.

We had to book everything at once....if you dont pay for it now, then you will get bumped. And if you decide that you want the DJ, book it and pay for it immediately....otherwise, if there is another wedding that day, they can have dibs on him....and you might get placed in a small lounge with your ipod.

we were told that NYC only allows for ONE wedding on embarkment day.

Also, you are only allowed 50 NON SAILING guests, which is starting to make my guest list difficult!

SOmething to think about....good luck!

Hello everyone. I'm new to the board and wanted to ask a few questions about booking an embarkment day wedding on the Miracle in NYC.

1) Since my parents will be paying for the wedding, when I call the wedding department to book my wedding date will I be able to use their card to pay or do my parents have to call and book it for me?

2) I will be getting the deluxe romance package and want to know if it is ok for my parents to just pay for the initial package and as we add more guests, pay for them later. I'm inviting more than 20 people but I don't want them to pay for more than 20 without knowing the final guest list count.

3) How many weddings on embarkment day does the Miracle allow in NYC? (just wondering if I will be the only bride)

4) Is it mean to not invite people on my cruise? LOL I don't want people bothering us or expecting us to accompany/babysit them on the cruise. (I'm not mean, I promise :))

Also, I would like to say that this board is heaven sent. So much useful info!

I agree with the answers to everyone's questions except for number 4. While you don't have to invite people to cruise with you, it may be seen as rude to try to prevent people from cruising- especially if they are travelling a long distance for the short ceremony and reception (unless of course you a paying to rent the entire ship out for yourselves:-) We ended up with quite a few guests cruising with us and never felt obligated to baby sit or act as cruise driector.

One thing we did right was to send our travel agent's information to everyone planning to cruise. She got everyone great rooms- and made sure my hubby and I were in a different part of the ship. It worked out perfectly and we had a ton of fun with our friends and family when it was something we all wanted to do and we had more than enough alone time. Most importantly we didn't have any hard feelings that could have ruined relationships.

I would say if you are adament about people not sailing, then don't get married on the ship. Get married at a location near the port and then hop on board for your perfect honeymoon cruise!

I agree with the answers to everyone's questions except for number 4. While you don't have to invite people to cruise with you, it may be seen as rude to try to prevent people from cruising- especially if they are travelling a long distance for the short ceremony and reception (unless of course you a paying to rent the entire ship out for yourselves:-) We ended up with quite a few guests cruising with us and never felt obligated to baby sit or act as cruise driector.

One thing we did right was to send our travel agent's information to everyone planning to cruise. She got everyone great rooms- and made sure my hubby and I were in a different part of the ship. It worked out perfectly and we had a ton of fun with our friends and family when it was something we all wanted to do and we had more than enough alone time. Most importantly we didn't have any hard feelings that could have ruined relationships.

I would say if you are adament about people not sailing, then don't get married on the ship. Get married at a location near the port and then hop on board for your perfect honeymoon cruise!

Just to clarify some things, we both are from New York City. No one is traveling out of their way. I'm not telling people they aren't allowed on the cruise, it's a public cruise. I am simply not promoting it by giving them information on how to book a cruise. They are adults and can figure it out themselves, the same way we did. We are not using a travel agent, we are booking it directly through Carnival. I know my family better than anyone on this board, so I am 120% sure that if I promote them booking a cruise through my wedding invites that they will expect me to be involved in activities with them. If they decide to book on their own then they won't expect my presence at every excursion, shopping, and/or sight seeing event. Thanks for your input but you have to understand that while you may have a understanding group of family and friends not everyone does. And not everyone wants to spend their honeymoon as a group vacation. I don't believe there is a "right" way to do this, it simply depends on the people you are dealing with. I know my family doesn't mean any harm but they are a little overbearing. lol.

"They are adults and can figure it out themselves, the same way we did. We are not using a travel agent, we are booking it directly through Carnival. I know my family better than anyone on this board, so I am 120% sure that if I promote them booking a cruise through my wedding invites that they will expect me to be involved in activities with them. Thanks for your input but you have to understand that while you may have a understanding group of family and friends not everyone does.

"

Curious as to why you post the question if you are offended that somebody is actually offering input.

"They are adults and can figure it out themselves, the same way we did. We are not using a travel agent, we are booking it directly through Carnival. I know my family better than anyone on this board, so I am 120% sure that if I promote them booking a cruise through my wedding invites that they will expect me to be involved in activities with them. Thanks for your input but you have to understand that while you may have a understanding group of family and friends not everyone does.
"

Curious as to why you post the question if you are offended that somebody is actually offering input.

I never said I was offended (your assumption), I just clarified a lot of the assumptions that were made from a response I received. I received great advice from the previous answers given and I intend on using it. Thank you.

Agreed! Why not get married on land and have a proper, longer ceremony and reception that your guests can enjoy a little longer and then honeymoon on the ship? I would be a little upset if one of my friends or family expected me to attend a quicky ceremony and no longer than 90 minute reception, go through all the issues with customs and getting on and off the ship and didn't want me on the cruise afterwards. It feels a little like stop buy, drop a gifts and hit the road. But you know your guests better- and if you feel that they wouldn't be offended (especially anyone contributing toward your wedding and trip) then go for it and do whatever makes you happy- it's your day!

Agreed! Why not get married on land and have a proper, longer ceremony and reception that your guests can enjoy a little longer and then honeymoon on the ship? I would be a little upset if one of my friends or family expected me to attend a quicky ceremony and no longer than 90 minute reception, go through all the issues with customs and getting on and off the ship and didn't want me on the cruise afterwards. It feels a little like stop buy, drop a gifts and hit the road. But you know your guests better- and if you feel that they wouldn't be offended (especially anyone contributing toward your wedding and trip) then go for it and do whatever makes you happy- it's your day!

Hello and thanks for your response! One of the main reasons we are going this route is because of the budget my parents gave us (10k). We don't come from a wealthy background and living in NY means expensive weddings (yikes). Believe me I have tried many options but we don't want to go into our savings that we are planning to use for a down payment on a home. Truth be told, neither one of us are very traditional and would have been fine at the courthouse, but I am the only girl and this moment is very special to my mom. I'm actually ok with people not coming if they have issues with our decision. The most important people to us will be there (my immediately family, his immediately family and our best friends), I'm just extending the invitations to others out of love and they will be aware of all the requirements to attend before they RSVP so they can make their decision based on what they are comfortable with. I just want to marry my soulmate and I will whether they come or not.

We are getting married on the Glory in August out of NYC!

Once we had made the decision to have a cruise wedding, we sent a formal email to our family and very close friends - about the details. From there it was up to them to decide who wanted to join us and who didnt. We actually ended up with 35 people booking the cruise to join us.

I will tell you, that even though I am not going to babysit either - having a group of people with you on a cruise is so much more fun than just have 2 people...but, also - we arent treating it like our honeymoon. we are going to be taking our personal honeymoon at a later date.

We had to book everything at once....if you dont pay for it now, then you will get bumped. And if you decide that you want the DJ, book it and pay for it immediately....otherwise, if there is another wedding that day, they can have dibs on him....and you might get placed in a small lounge with your ipod.

we were told that NYC only allows for ONE wedding on embarkment day.

Also, you are only allowed 50 NON SAILING guests, which is starting to make my guest list difficult!

SOmething to think about....good luck!

Are you out of Manhattan or Red Hook? I was told the same thing about one wedding per embarkation day and they lied. But mine was out of Red Hook. I was shocked to find another bride getting married running around with the same color brides maid dresses and groomsmen ties. She also got the venue I originally wanted, but I am glad because that venue looked awful anyway... wow, why was I so competitive about a wedding? lol

Hello and thanks for your response! One of the main reasons we are going this route is because of the budget my parents gave us (10k). We don't come from a wealthy background and living in NY means expensive weddings (yikes).

We have chosen a cruise wedding because my fiance did not want a big crowd. He would prefer a court ceremony, but I'm not getting married at some courthouse, like I need immigration papers!!!! So 50 person max guest list is the compromise.

We are having a big bash, sort of an AHR the night before the wedding where everyone is invited. OOT guests, coworkers, friends family, etc. And on the ship it's just immediate family.

I hope our oot guests will be fine with being invited to the reception only, it's the bulk of the wedding anyway, right?

Are you out of Manhattan or Red Hook? I was told the same thing about one wedding per embarkation day and they lied. But mine was out of Red Hook. I was shocked to find another bride getting married running around with the same color brides maid dresses and groomsmen ties. She also got the venue I originally wanted, but I am glad because that venue looked awful anyway... wow, why was I so competitive about a wedding? lol

LOL its like if a girl shows up to prom with the same dress as you. As silly as it may sounds to some people, I understand why you felt that way. Did you have you wedding with Princess cruises?

We have chosen a cruise wedding because my fiance did not want a big crowd. He would prefer a court ceremony, but I'm not getting married at some courthouse, like I need immigration papers!!!! So 50 person max guest list is the compromise.

We are having a big bash, sort of an AHR the night before the wedding where everyone is invited. OOT guests, coworkers, friends family, etc. And on the ship it's just immediate family.

I hope our oot guests will be fine with being invited to the reception only, it's the bulk of the wedding anyway, right?

Hey that's a nice idea. And yes, the reception is definitely the bulk of the wedding!

Cupcake- totally contact Artemis. She will tell you in her case she had wished she had eloped. Skip the wedding completely if your situation sounds like hers. See if you can get her e-mail or phone number, I think she would have a lot to share.

LOL its like if a girl shows up to prom with the same dress as you. As silly as it may sounds to some people, I understand why you felt that way. Did you have you wedding with Princess cruises?

Yep! Princess. So not sure how different the rules are from cruise line to cruise line but initially I was told this was a "New York" rule along with a max of 75 non-sailing guests.

How many weddings on embarkment day does the Miracle allow in NYC? (just wondering if I will be the only bride)

My understanding is that a ship can have up to like 3 weddings on the embarkment day, if each wedding requires a different venue. For example, they have several lounges so they can have a wedding in each on. Or if someone is doing a sit down then they can be in the dining room. It really depends on the number of guest each wedding is having. If they can accommodate more they one, trust me they will. It's all about the money. We were fortunate to be the only wedding on the NCL Jewel this past July. We sailed out of the same terminal as the Miracle does in Manhattan.

I don't think it's mean. if you don't advertise it folks may automatically assume it's your honeymoon anyway. However, rest assure ships are huge and you can avoid seeing folks if you want. Even the overbearing ones lol.

I say do YOU, and your soon to be spouse of course :D.

Archived