Definition of "non-refundable" OBC

LDVinNC

I was just reading a thread about the way NCL applies OBC to your account and how a few cruisers lost out on some of their OBC. So, that makes me ask the question: when is an OBC non-refundable? I guess any bonus OBC that NCL gives you upfront is non-refundable, but how about what a TA gives you or a relative/friend gives you as a gift?

We are sailing next Saturday and I'd like to make sure I have this straight and can advise the two DS's and BIL's who are travelling with us. Thanks!

I believe that an OBC that is "paid for" by an outside party is refundable. However, the calculation used onboard may "use" that OBC first and leave one with a balance of OBC that is not refundable.

In my view, OBC is intended to be fully used, so enjoy it like a non-refundable gift card..

Get a copy of your bill on the 2nd or 3rd day and you will be able to see how much OBC is refundable (if any) and how much is non-refundable. On our last cruise the $450 OBC from NCL was non-refundable. We also received $200 OBC from our TA. $100 was refundable and the other $100 was non-refundable. We made sure we used all the non-refundable OBC and received a check from NCL about 3 weeks after the cruise for $96.00 refundable OBC we did not spend. First time we ever got "paid" to cruise, LOL.

Archived