British Airways---Never Again! (LONG)

bldsld

Hi all,

Here's what happened on our return back home to San Francisco.

We were booked on BA in their World Club (Business Class), a J fare, from LIS-LHR, then a change of planes on BA at Heathrow to JFK, and then a flight from JFK-SFO on Delta, all on Saturday, April 9th. We had little sleep, as we had to get to the airport at 6:00 AM Lisbon time, which was still Friday in the States. The LIS-JFK flight was uneventful and smooth; the problem occured on the LHR-JFK flight.

Apparently, a gentleman in his mid to late 60's boarded, also in World Club and traveling by himself, but appeared to other passengers to be slurring his words, and weaving a bit as he walked. Apparently, he gave the appearance of being intoxicated, and was incontinent, but no one said anything about it (other passengers), and he was allowed to board. We didn't see him, as our seats (pods) were facing the wall and we had our back to the door, which for those of you who may be unfamiliar with this configuration, it means you are flying backwards in your seat, with your back to the front of the plane. The fellow passengers on either side of us, however, were surprised this gentleman was allowed to board, as they saw his somewhat altered condition.

Mid-way over the Atlantic, an announcement was made asking if there was a doctor of medicine on board. Sadly, it turns out that this gentleman may have had a stroke, and was going in and out of consciousness. A doctor was summoned, some passengers in the area were moved to other seats, and an impromptu medical center was set up to treat the gentleman, including hooking him up to an IV. It really was sad, as he was non-responsive. A decision was thus made by the Captain to do a medical diversion to Goose Bay, Canada, and this occurred approximately 90 minutes after the medical evaluation was made. The flight crew did a great job in evaluating his situation, and trying to help as best they could.

All of these actions were appropriate, and the flight crew were doing their best to deal with a very untenable situation. We knew at this point that we would miss our Delta connection to SFO, but understood that this was a medical emergency, and assured the crew that we were not concerned about our flight at all; it was more important to get the passenger urgent medical assistance, and we completely supported the actions of the flight crew. They, in turn, assured us that because the responsibility for changing the flight plans was theirs, they would help us out by either getting us on a different flight (unlikely due to the late hour), or by getting us a hotel for the night, and a flight out to SFO the next day. They were genuinely appreciative of our understanding, and we were fine.

In Canada, we were on the ground for about 2-hours, as the passenger was removed by paramedics, and the airplane refueled. We also during that time gave our flight information to the pilot, and the flight attendants, so that they could get arrangements made for us on the ground. They were fully aware that our BA flights ended at JFK, and our connection home to SFO was on Delta. In fact, early in the flight, we were given terminal information to help us get from the BA terminal to Delta domestic, prior to the occurrence of the medical emergency. Once back in the air, we were told that a British Airways ground agent would be meeting us at the gate upon arrival at JFK. We were specifically told not to worry, BA wouldn't just "leave us in the lurch, stranded".

Fast-forward to our arrival at JFK. There was no gate agent anywhere to be found. We assumed this must be due to customs, so we proceeded through Passport Control, and while waiting for our luggage at Customs, found a BA ground agent. He assured us we would be taken care of, and that after clearing Customs, we should go to the BA recheck desk. At this point we hadn't slept for about 28 hours.

The recheck desk said they couldn't help us, we needed to go upstairs to ticketing, so we did as instructed. We had been on the ground at this point for about 30 minutes. After waiting in line at the ticketing desk for 45 minutes, we were instructed to find a supervisor and that BA couldn't do anything for us because we were on a Delta connection, and their responsibility to us ended at JFK. All of this was contrary to what we had been told in the air, and what was actually done in advance for us by the pilot, who radioed all of the flight info to the ground well in advance of our landing. And, we had paid full business class for the tickets, so we thought it unbelievable that we were being left stranded at JFK.

We waited in yet another line for a supervisor, for about 30 minutes, and were told the same thing yet again. They couldn't help us, they had no legal obligation to us, and we were on our own. We explained that this directly contradicted everything we had been told onboard, and asked to see a manager. About 20 minutes later, a manager came over and said they would need higher authority to help us!!! We couldn't even get them to make a hotel reservation at this time. So, we gave our tickets to the manager, and asked her to get it authorized. Meanwhile, we were dead tired.

About 45 minutes later, the manager came back and said there was nothing BA was obligated to do for us, and handed back our tickets. At this point, totally bleary-eyed and in dire need of sleep, we made our own reservation at the airport HIlton, and about an hour even later, we finally arrived at the hotel. I had to call Delta myself and make new flight arrangements for early the next morning, and they couldn't have been NICER!!! We then caught 5 hours of sleep, and finally got to Delta the next morning, and after a delay of another hour due to mechanical problems, we finally were on our way home. It ended up taking 2 1/2 days to get home.

I was totally shocked by the reprehensible conduct of the BA ground crew, and the complete disconnect between the information given us in the air, and the complete unwillingness to give even the most minor assistance on the ground. Considering we were fully paying business class passengers, the cost to BA to help us get a hotel room would have been insignificant, and would have engendered good will on our part. At the very least, they could have helped us to make a reservation for a hotel. As it stands now, I want nothing from BA, and I will never fly them again.

The irony here is that, based on the observations of other passengers, the gentleman did not appear well prior to take-off, and it's possible that this all could have been avoided had more attention been paid to his condition. I only hope that he is recovering, and survived the ordeal. We feel terribly for him, particularly as he was traveling alone.

Any thoughts? Friends of ours had a bad experience with BA not long ago, and they, too, will never fly them again. I am too tired to be angry, but I could get there!

Hope no one else had as much difficulty getting back home as we did.

Denyse

I imagine that your problem may revolve around the fact that your DL ticket was separate from your BA ticket. If your entire trip was on the same ticket, the BA conduct surprises me. But if you had two separate tickets -- one for domestic travel and the other for international travel -- BA's response is wholly predictable and customary.

Which response is customary? The one where they said they'd take care of us, knowing the tickets were separate (I showed them to the head fight attendant), or the one where they said they wouldn't?

Denyse

The problem may well be with flight attendants not really knowing the difference and their bent to appease.

That said, it takes getting burned the way you did only one time (and it has happened to us all) to find a way to take matters into your own hands.

Having done many international flights, I stand with my cell phone at the ready and work the phone as soon as I am permitted to, as the time sitting on the tarmac can put you hours ahead. In your case, it would have avoided all of the waiting, that's for sure. Delta would have quickly rebooked you and your check-in in JFK would have been a breeze. (BTW, in a pinch you might even want to swipe you card in the satellite phone on board. For the probably $30 for the call, you would have saved yourself tons of headaches.

Sorry for your problems, but don't be too hard on BA. It happens with all the airlines. I have suffered the same sort of fate...but only once.

Denyse, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. I know how tired you were, it sounds like you didn't even get a chance to enjoy the world club seats. We were on the upper deck 747 and it was like being on a private jet.

I wonder what became of that man? :(

I would suggest calling or writing BA corporate and explaining what happened, perhaps they will try and make it right somehow.

I think the problem was the ground crew, but the problem was exacerbated by the flight staff giving incorrect information, if indeed that is what they did. If BA really intended to just blow us off, it would have been preferable to do so early, and not after waiting another 3 hours to torture us in lines. The cost of the hotel isn't the issue. It was the time wasted, and the complete disconnect between flight crew and ground crew.

As the BA flight arrived too late to rebook SFO that same day, the preferred response would have been to inform us that they wouldn't help us, and we would have gone on our merry way to sleep at a hotel, as we ultimately did hours later.

Incidentally, it would not have taken much time for BA to secure us a hotel reservation, which we would have gladly paid for, as we did. We weren't looking for compensation; we were looking for help due to lack of sleep. The cost to HELP, even minimally, is infinitesimal compared to what we paid for the flights. If you compare the good will it would have engendered compared to the loss of our future business, it's utter foolishness.

In any case, I hope the poor fellow made it.

Denyse

Which response is customary? The one where they said they'd take care of us, knowing the tickets were separate (I showed them to the head fight attendant), or the one where they said they wouldn't?

Denyse

It is customary *not* to take responsibility for problems caused on a separate ticket. Had your entire trip been on a single ticket, BA would clearly have "protected" you for the domestic portion. In fact, however, the BA computers had no way of knowing that you were travelling on from JFK, and BA had no responsibility. The flight attendants cannot be expected to be experts in this matter. They are, after all, *flight* attendants. They tried to help, and they apparently erred.

I have had problems returning from cruises and flying BA, and I have been very pleased by their responsiveness.

Observer, I believe Jane is right, Rule 240 should have applied, but unfortunately, I was tired and trusted that BA would do as they had promised onboard.

And in any case, the strict application of the policy as you and they have construed it, is morally and ethically wrong in light of the representations made by the flight crew. Moreover, our circumstances were totally avoidable had the ground crew evidenced a single shred of human kindness by offering to secure a room reservation, at our own cost. We were paying business class customers. Former, that is.

In any case, I don't think it is worth belaboring the point. We will never fly them again, and will certainly give our opinions to others should they ask.

More importantly, I still can't help wondering how the poor fellow made out who was taken off the plane by the medics. According to other passengers, his situation, too, could have been avoided had someone paid attention to his condition during boarding.

Denyse

Can I ask why you just didn't book a non-stop flt. from LHR to SFO, or is that one of the cities that flies out of Gatwick?

Second, as far as I know from years of flying, when you purchase seperate tickets, one carrier will not be responsible for the others problems, and Delta was actually being good to book you without a penelty. Three cheers for them. We fly from Dallas to Hong Kong quite a bit and must use American/Cathay Pacific, and always make sure they are ticketed as one, and if (and it has happened), we misconnect, one puts us up and the other rebooks our seats.

As far as the "flight" attendant comment from Obersver, it's said but true that most passegers are more informed as to how to read tickets than the inflight staff, but they seemed to be able to handle a severe medical emergency. The "flighty" part of this whole incident, was that no passenger spoke up about the concern for the gentleman prior to take-off, nor that any BA staff or crew caught the problem on the ground. In this day and age, we should all be a bit more aware of our surroundings and who we are flying with. Even if he were "only" drunk, that would be more than enough reason for him not to be on a 8 plus hour flight.

I agree with Matt. Even if you don't want anything from British Airways it would probably make you feel better to write them to get an explanation for your unsatisfactory experience. The inexcusable part seems to be the wait at the different desks at JFK. It shouldn't take 45 minutes for a manager to get authorization to say "no."

British Airways Customer Relations USA

75-20 Astoria Blvd.

Jackson Heights, NY 11370

The EU has recently passed rules that require stiff penalties to be paid to pax due to late flights. I do not the details, and do not know if your situation is applicable, but it might be worth a try -- the rules, what little I know of them, require the airlines to refund quite a large percentage of fare paid due to late arrivals. Your situation may be exempt (medical emergency), but if I were you, I would check into it. Perhaps a travel agent could advise, or perhaps just a phone call to BA requesting the paperwork might jump start the process.

Denyse~~~~J.B. and I flew 1st/Business from Madrid, on Iberia, to Miami. We boarded the 747 and took our seats. A few minutes later a girl of late 20's came and sat opposite us. She made herself comfortable.......then got up and started "lookin' back for some one." She then wrapped a strange heavy looking scarf'shawl around her neck and put on "prayer beads"........then started making "signs of the cross." And kept standing and looking back....."for someone." We sat there for about 40 minutes! Finally the Captain came on the speaker and said, "Sorry folks for the delay.......we have been waiting for a passenger and evidently he isn't boarding. We are taking his luggage off the aircraft now. We will make our departure shortly!" WELLLL, with this the girl started "bawling out loud!" And fingering her "prayer beads!" She was in quite a state! Two stewardess came and started consoling her.........she kept on crying. JB leans over and says to me, "Golly, I hope THE BOMB isn't in HER luggage! She cried most of the 10 hrs to Miami.....fingering her beads. JB and I KNEW we'd never see Florida! Haha I laugh about this, BUT....there was a story here! Of some sort!

Our flight was grrrreat and the food was outstanding! But, the company, was a 'lit

on the bazaar side~~~~gave us the heepie-jeebies!

Soooo sorry to hear of your flight...........Everytime I fly these days, I expect some sort of catastrophe or a "ruined trip" by someone or something!

Glad you're home, safely!

Martita

Can I ask why you just didn't book a non-stop flt. from LHR to SFO, or is that one of the cities that flies out of Gatwick?

We flew to NY a few days early to visit with friends with whom we were sailing. We all then flew together from NY to STT.

Johhnycruise and mpfund, I appreciate your suggestions, but I'm not really interested in pursuing this other than to tell BA that I won't be flying them again. I believe it would be a waste of time, and they have already caused me plenty of that. Primarily, I needed to vent, which this Board allowed me to do! We are so exhausted, having arrived home on Sunday afternoon instead of Saturday, totally sleep deprived and having to work the next day without any rest. It really took that vacation sense of calm away, being so tired and worn out from the process of getting home. I'd rather hit them with my wallet, or absence thereof.

Martha, you're right: flying isn't what it used to be, but certain airlines are definitely worse than others.

Denyse

The customer service you received in New York was just plain bad.

BA will not care if you say you will no longer fly them.......They can always say that the actual flight was oK.......so big deal. The ground operations are something totally different.

If you want to get your point across...I would suggest writing to Conte Nast magazine. They often post such stories...this gets a very large distribution that the airlines do not like to see and will not shrug off. It also lets future flyers know what can happen to them.

Believe me, if BA sees it in print....they might just take some corrective action in the way of customer service policies....and maybe provide an explanation and or apology...regardless of the price of your ticket. In a nut shell....air lines must consider the passenger as a human being that can choose how to spend money and not a number....or they will lose in the end.

My 3 cents.

In Condé Nast Traveler Magazine, the section called Ombudsman deals with issues much like this. While most of their articles involve cases where money is an issue, they should be able to at least direct you to the proper person within BA who will REALLY read your correspondence and REALLY answer it, to your and CN's satisfaction.

A good address is:

Ombudsman

Condé Nast Traveler

4 Times Square

New York, New York 10036

• 1 month later...

Archived