Can you take own luggage on?

KP&BP

We are new to Royal Caribbean and have some questions please. We are taking a four day cruise on Monarch of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. We plan to have only one large suitcase and a carry on. Would we be allowed to take the large bag on board and not check it? We realize it would have to be dragged along with us, but would like to try doing that. Also, is self embarkation available? Does anyone know if there is a formal/dress up night on the four night cruise and if so, when it would be? Thanks for any info you can provide and Happy New Year.

The luggage would have to fit thru the electronic scanner they have...........I don't think a large suitcase would fit thru.

Formal night on the 4 nighter is the 2nd night...(CocoCay day)

You can definitely carry off your luggage at disembarkation.

We are new to Royal Caribbean and have some questions please. We are taking a four day cruise on Monarch of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. We plan to have only one large suitcase and a carry on. Would we be allowed to take the large bag on board and not check it? We realize it would have to be dragged along with us, but would like to try doing that. Also, is self embarkation available? Does anyone know if there is a formal/dress up night on the four night cruise and if so, when it would be? Thanks for any info you can provide and Happy New Year.

As long as the suitcase fits through the scanner (simular to the airports) you'll be fine.

Formal night will be the 2nd night.

If you mean self debarkation, yes it is.

The luggage would have to fit thru the electronic scanner they have...........I don't think a large suitcase would fit thru.

Formal night on the 4 nighter is the 2nd night...(CocoCay day)

You can definitely carry off your luggage at disembarkation.

In San Diego, we once ended up with all of our luggage at the check in counter. I ask where to drop it off and was told "too late". We had to carry it all. It was full size and fit through the scanners no problem.

If it will pass through the scanners you probably can. I say probably because I have read on this board where a passenger was told he could not bring the bag into check in because it was too large. Once (not Canaveral) security told me my bag was too big, I questioned him and told him I had brought the same bag through that terminal previously. He relented and told me I would be back. The bag went on just fine. The scanners will accommodate bags that are somewhat larger than official airline size, but I would not try and go too big as they may balk.

I think formal night is on night #2.

Why would you want to do this, though?

We saw lots of people lugging bags around on Allure in November who clearly regretted their decision, and when the first people that many people rushed to was Windjammer it created a real nightmare with people lugging suitcases and bags around (and banging them into other people) that IMHO should have been checked. Ditto for the elevators - some people were hauling copious amounts of crap around with them that really created havok when they were trying to get around.

Not to mention those that decided they wanted to do activities once aboard (zipline on Allure, as an example) who suddenly found themselves having to find a place to leave their belongings.

Our stateroom corridor doors didn't open until for hours after we embarked and I would have dreaded having to lug bags around with us for the hours and hours we explored the ship before hand.

In San Diego, we once ended up with all of our luggage at the check in counter. I ask where to drop it off and was told "too late". We had to carry it all. It was full size and fit through the scanners no problem.

How come you didnt ask where the check in was till you got to the counter??:confused: Im not sure how San Diego is set up,but PC has the luggage check in before the security scanners......and after the scanners,you go upstairs to check in.

Archived