Are the jellyfish right at the shoreline?

Just curious, I'm not one to venture too deeply into the ocean anyways, but are the jellyfish present in the shallow water at Coco Cay? Will I be able to see them so I can prevent being stung? Between the jellyfish and the bed bugs I'm starting to freak. (one week and counting to Sovereign) :)

Don't know about the jellyfish, but I do want to warn you off some of the sand bars at Coco Cay. I sat down on one and sat on what looked to be seaweed. It wasn't-it was fire coral. Took about a minute to realize it, but it was not fun. I will spare everyone the details about trying to put the spray for jellyfish stings provided by Royal Caribbean on the afflicted areas.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know about the jellyfish, but I do want to warn you off some of the sand bars at Coco Cay. I sat down on one and sat on what looked to be seaweed. It wasn't-it was fire coral. Took about a minute to realize it, but it was not fun. I will spare everyone the details about trying to put the spray for jellyfish stings provided by Royal Caribbean on the afflicted areas.

Not fun at all. I cannot even imagine the hurt on that one.

Jellyfish usually do not, of their own volition, travel close to the shore.. that being said they are in the ocean and can turn up anywhere. The sting really hurts but it is more of a reaction to toxins rather than an actual allergic reaction usually. Vinegar works to alleiate the pain.

I'm hoping not to see any, two years ago in March, I was in Florida and they were everywhere near the shoreline, this year when I went to Florida I didn't see any, so I'm hoping that will be the case at Coco Cay. Fingers crossed. :)

Just curious, I'm not one to venture too deeply into the ocean anyways, but are the jellyfish present in the shallow water at Coco Cay? Will I be able to see them so I can prevent being stung? Between the jellyfish and the bed bugs I'm starting to freak. (one week and counting to Sovereign) :)

Jelly fish are very easily seen by the eye. They won't come out to attack you, so don't worry:). Just move away.

Hope you enjoy your vacation.

Yes, Jellyfish float in the water. They normally live in the open water and the float just beneath the surface. They don't swim per se, but sort of woosh up and down slightly. So they don't swim to shore and they don't chase you they just exist. If you see one move away. Don't touch. They tend to show up on the beaches when the current or waves carry them to the beach in some places like Bonaire where the winds and currents are in one directions 360 plus days a year you never see them. In a place like Key West where the winds and currents regularly change you are much more likely to see them. One day in late November in 1999 we were scuba diving off a coral ridge about 15 miles from key west and the winds drove thousands of them into the protected area. They were about the size of a basketball, and a pretty pinky/purple. Swimming on the surface was tricky as you had to weave around them. Under water about 8 feet no problem as you didn't even see them there unless you looked up.

The best defense for both fire coral and jelly fish is a dive skin. I have both lycra skins, and neoprene skins that provide some warmth. Both will protect you and from the suns UV rays. If you come into contact with a jellyfish be careful removing the skin because the poisons can be on the outside of the skin, and sea lice are likely to be found at the edges. If you crush them as you remove the skin they will fire off and sting you.

jc

Thanks everyone for the info, I was afraid they may be way under the water and I wouldn't see them until it was too late and I stepped on one. My husband is already threatening to stay on the ship because they freak him out also. ;)

Archived