Camp Carnival Dream Anxiety!

hopesicle

I posted this on the Carnival message board then thought it might be better answered here.

I've read a couple negative posts about the Camp Carnival staff on the Dream. We're sailing 1/14/12 on the Dream and though when we booked it was supposed to be just my husband and I (it's our 10 year anniversary), childcare plans have fallen through because my mom is ill and we may have to take our 2 1/2 year old with us.

I'm very nervous about the posts I've read; however, they seem to be from 2010. Would love to hear from anyone who has used the Camp Carnival program on the Dream recently, especially if you have a 2 or 3 year old.

Thank you!

Hope

Hi Hopsicle

I have read quite a few reviews regarding Camp Carnival, and have heard a lot of good things. However there is not much recently posted about Dreams Camp Carnival.

WE have the same anxiety as yourself, as this will be our children's first cruise. Both DDs are in Daycare and Kindergarten, however I am hoping for the best that the staff make it enjoyable for them. from what I have gathered the staff there are specially trained and educated in Childcare and Education.

On a side note we are as well booked on the same sailing as you, and our children are 2.5 and 4 year old.

The Canuks

We did nto have any probles with our son at age 2 & again at almost 3.

Just remember that those who have a negative (real of perceived) yell the loudest...

If it were "that" bad Carnival would fix it - they are in it to make a buck off of families - so having a good kids program is part of that package.

We're sailing 1/14/12 on the Dream and though when we booked it was supposed to be just my husband and I (it's our 10 year anniversary), childcare plans have fallen through because my mom is ill and we may have to take our 2 1/2 year old with us.

Did you check with Carnival to make sure you could add your child to your booking?

Yes, there is availability but it will cost us quite a bit extra. We got trip insurance but it appears it wouldn't cover this situation; otherwise we'd cancel and rebook at a better time.. I'm really torn on what to do here. My brother and his wife have offered to keep her for us but I just don't know how she'll do & I don't want to worry extra about her while I'm gone. (my mom's would have been different, she has her own toys and room there & is used to being there, it's her "home away from home")

On the other hand, this was going to be our first cruise just husband and I & we were looking forward to it. Gotta decide pretty quick here too!

We did nto have any probles with our son at age 2 & again at almost 3.

Just remember that those who have a negative (real of perceived) yell the loudest...

If it were "that" bad Carnival would fix it - they are in it to make a buck off of families - so having a good kids program is part of that package.

Agree with the above post. That said, maybe you should trust your family. Yes, the little one is used to being at Grandmother's home. I do understand, my first cruise was just DH and I. Normally, my Mom would of kept her, ( and her sister who was 16), but an illness prevented that. We went with other family, and it was fine.

If you do bring your child, please remember, what the ships have is a Camp not a childcare.

My family cruised the Dream over Christmas week. The ship was packed but the kids program never was. We have a 12 year old, 5 year old and 2 year old. All the kids had a blast! We used Camp Carnival every day that we weren't in port. Now, my 2 year old is naturally more reserved and cried when we dropped him off each time. The staff was perfectly fine with it. We would call back (on the phone the camp gave to us) in 10 minutes and they said he was fine. On the last night, he finally walked in by himself with no tears and the staff all cheered for him. The 5 year old girl was perfectly fine each day with going and by day four wanted to go to Camp Carnival and eat dinner with them as opposed to sitting in the dining room with us. She participated in the fun force dance show and kids christmas show. The older girl had just turned 12 in November and I was worried how she would do but she too found a group to hang with and had a great time.

My 2 year old isn't potty trained and due to a GI issue, has frequent stools after eating. We took a backpack with diapers and wipes and he was changed with no problem.

Ask any questions about Camp Carnival. The kids enjoyed it and thus, so did hubby and I

Archived