National Express or train? Dover to London

cbee

Post cruise, my husband and I will travel to London for 4 days of sightseeing . ..Staying at the Hilton london Kensington. The ship docks in Dover on a Saturday. Is it best to try for the train or the National Express Coach? Seems that the train station nearest the Hotel is Paddington. I think the National Express goes to Victoria.

Hi Cbee,

If you arrive in Dover on July 2nd you are welcome to join our small group traveling to central London by pre-arranged taxi. We are on the June 18th sailing of Constellation.

Since the odds of that are rather long, both the bus and the train from Dover wind up in Victoria Station, so you will have to connect from there or take a cab. I'm sure that the London experts will advise you on that, I cannot.

My only other thought is that the train might be a tad more comfortable, but then it's not a long trip.

Post cruise, my husband and I will travel to London for 4 days of sightseeing . ..Staying at the Hilton london Kensington. The ship docks in Dover on a Saturday. Is it best to try for the train or the National Express Coach? Seems that the train station nearest the Hotel is Paddington. I think the National Express goes to Victoria.

As aztex says, if you do it by train, you'll be going to Victoria railway station. It's about half a mile from Victoria coach station, but other than that there's really not much in it. Realistically, you'll need a cab to get to the hotel. Personally, I would go by train given the choice between these two options, but I'd also try to get a first class ticket if one can be had for a reasonable price, and enjoy a bit of extra space.

Thanks for your response, Aztex.Sorry we cannot join you as we will pass that way several months earlier, on May 7.

Thanks, Globalizer, for your input. . .sounds like the train may be the way to go although I have read that luggage space is at a premium (we will have two large and two carry on suitcases). Is luggage space also a problem for first class? Are reservatioins required for the train?

If you're not travelling at peak commuter hours (which are in the direction and at the times you'd expect), then you should be able to improvise with your luggage, particularly in first class. You won't need reservations for those times, either. You'd be very unlucky not to get acceptable seats. I'd usually go first class if I'm travelling for work, and it's almost always just a question of jumping on whichever train is next - hardly ever think about reservations.

Thanks again, Globalizer. We will dock in Dover on a Saturday . . .probably clear the ship by 8:30a. . .From my observations on the "board" it seems that many passengers will take cruise line transporation to Heathrow so I am hoping the train will not be too crowded. We will deal with the luggage as best we can. . .got it down to one big bag a piece. . .with some creative planning.. for a three week holiday.

Archived