Magic, Camp Carnival Provided Cell Phones - Warning

scottcruises

For the 2 hours or kids were there on one day they handed us a phone in case they needed to reach us. We tried about 5 times in the next few days to return it, finally giving up and going to guest services where we were told it would take about 15 minutes for them to redo the statement. We never got another statement.

Camp Carnival never seemed to have anyone there the last 30 hours on the boat or during the dinner hours the day prior. Guest services said it'd be fine.

We go to debark and my card beeps, we're held there holding up everyone for a cell phone that was already returned. After ten minutes of ticking off everyone else in line they let us go confirming it was returned. But I can now see the $195 authorization on the card attached to the sign and sail. This all happened right in front of the cruise director who was helping to debark people and we could wave back and forth to the guy that took the phone at guest services but nobody could seemingly communicate with one another.

I also cannot say I'm crazy about the way Carnival elects to charge the card tied to the sign and sail. They've held the roughly $2k we spent on the boat bit by bit in the form or authorizations. A day after debarking we got the full charge but all the little authorizations are still there effectively tying up all the money twice.

Maybe this is just with the Carnival card I'm not sure, but if they're going to run 100 authorizations over the week, why not just convert them to charges like the rest of the world?

Will update on the cell phone issue, but don't trust that it will get taken care of. Like a lot of things related to Camp Carnival on this cruise we were pretty frustrated and this ranked number 1.

The authorizations will drop off at your bank's discretion. Carnival places the hold, when the charge finally goes through the bank should release the hold. Some banks take longer to release the hold than others.

I also cannot say I'm crazy about the way Carnival elects to charge the card tied to the sign and sail. They've held the roughly $2k we spent on the boat bit by bit in the form or authorizations. A day after debarking we got the full charge but all the little authorizations are still there effectively tying up all the money twice.

Maybe this is just with the Carnival card I'm not sure, but if they're going to run 100 authorizations over the week, why not just convert them to charges like the rest of the world?

Just an FYI,,, this IS how the whole world works. Rent a car, put down a hotel reservation, get gas,,, an authorization is run,,, then the entire amount is processed later.

Whether YOU see this running in the background is completely dependant on YOUR financial institution. NOT the vendor (in this case, Carnival)

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this, we've never had a problem with returning the phone or camp carnival in general. :(

I concur with this...sorry you had such an issue with Camp Carnival...our only experience with them has been wonderful, so hopefully next time you will have a better experience.

On our first Carnival Cruise, the credit card was effectively charged twice, one "big" charge at the end of the cruise, and several smaller "holds" totaling the same amount... that stayed on for over three weeks.... I called the credit card (bank) and asked them to release the holds, they told me that they could not release the holds until the vendor (Carnival) released the hold on their end.... I called Carnival (about 4 times) and finally they called my bank and released the "holds" one by one, by one.... took another entire week.

On the most recent cruise, we simply used cash, and made a deposit at the beginning of the cruise, at the pursers desk, and kept track, adding more as needed.... ended up getting a cheque slid under our door on the last night which I promptly took to guest services and cashed before leaving the ship. I think that is probably the way I will go this next trip as well.... why tie up our funds twice?

On our first Carnival Cruise, the credit card was effectively charged twice, one "big" charge at the end of the cruise, and several smaller "holds" totaling the same amount... that stayed on for over three weeks.... I called the credit card (bank) and asked them to release the holds, they told me that they could not release the holds until the vendor (Carnival) released the hold on their end.... I called Carnival (about 4 times) and finally they called my bank and released the "holds" one by one, by one.... took another entire week.

On the most recent cruise, we simply used cash, and made a deposit at the beginning of the cruise, at the pursers desk, and kept track, adding more as needed.... ended up getting a cheque slid under our door on the last night which I promptly took to guest services and cashed before leaving the ship. I think that is probably the way I will go this next trip as well.... why tie up our funds twice?

I think you understand, others do not. An authorization is given for a specific purchase. They're supposed to then convert that authorization into a "sale/charge" not run an entire sum total charge in addition to the offset authorized amounts. It actually flies directly in the spirit of the rules per MC/Visa. I understand why they do it, but they should really just ask people to run a predetermined charge amount/by points etc.

If people use a debit card the money is effectively gone until they release the holds and no the rest of the world does not work this way. I rented two cars and also did airline tickets that went from authorizations to purchases without their being any duplication. When I buy from amazon or anywhere else it's an authorization that becomes a sale when the product ships.

As far as camp carnival, 1498 kids on the cruise....there's no way they could prepare for that. I'm sure the facility just isn't set up for that many kids and it showed. If you were over 9 or 10 it was probably fine but it got to the point where the window shades were drawn. Some parents were getting upset that kids were sitting in corners and by themselves forever. I will give it another shot.

Will update on the $195 charge.

Promised an update.

Using the barclays carnival card, all of the authorizations fell off by day 5, one day at a time. We did not get charged the $195, so even though it was a 15 minute delay and pissed off people to get off the boat, they did take care of it.

They do need to better arrange the phone drop off and post hours of return on Camp Carnival. I'm sure they were overwhelmed by the volume, but it was frustrating to make the walk 5 times and there was never anyone there.

Hi scottcruises,

I'm sorry about your experience with the authorizations and charges.

I have a question about the Camp Carnival phone, especially on a crowded sailing with so many kids onboard. Can you please tell me about the process in which they issued the phone in the first place? Is it first come first serve? Is it only those with a certain age child or could anyone with a child in Camp Carnival request one? Could a family get more than one phone? When do they issue the phone? Is it only during the camp registration hours?

I had one many years ago on a Carnival ship when my son was 5 and it was very convenient for keeping in touch and setting up meeting times/places. Of course we can survive without one, but this is the first time I've heard mention of it on Magic and was wondering what the process entails.

Hope you receive a refund for the wrongful charges! Thank you.

Would like to hear more about this as well; sailing with a 2 1/2 year old in October. Done camp with my older children when they were teens but first time with a little one. OP-Thanks for posting about your experience.

Hi scottcruises,

I'm sorry about your experience with the authorizations and charges.

I have a question about the Camp Carnival phone, especially on a crowded sailing with so many kids onboard. Can you please tell me about the process in which they issued the phone in the first place? Is it first come first serve? Is it only those with a certain age child or could anyone with a child in Camp Carnival request one? Could a family get more than one phone? When do they issue the phone? Is it only during the camp registration hours?

I had one many years ago on a Carnival ship when my son was 5 and it was very convenient for keeping in touch and setting up meeting times/places. Of course we can survive without one, but this is the first time I've heard mention of it on Magic and was wondering what the process entails.

Hope you receive a refund for the wrongful charges! Thank you.

Promised an update.

Using the barclays carnival card, all of the authorizations fell off by day 5, one day at a time. We did not get charged the $195, so even though it was a 15 minute delay and pissed off people to get off the boat, they did take care of it.

They do need to better arrange the phone drop off and post hours of return on Camp Carnival. I'm sure they were overwhelmed by the volume, but it was frustrating to make the walk 5 times and there was never anyone there.

So we never have to try and locate the Camp staff during off hours, we always go to the very last event they have scheduled BEFORE it ends and return the phone. Doing this, we're always ensured that we only have to make one trip and the matter is handled.

I'm glad it was taken care of for you.

Archived