NCL Sun or MSC Magnifica for N. Baltic

Piepie

I read a lot of online reviews and very concerned with the food, service, and quality of MSC. The price of MSC definitely looks better than other cruise lines, but I'm not sure...

-My main point for this cruise is to visit Russia. MSC offers one day in St. Petersburg while NCL Sun offers two.

-I heard there are operas and orchestra music played on MSC :) I definitely love that

-I love steak, lobster, and buffet

My travel agent gave me $1200 for Magnifica Balcony and $1320 for Sun oceanview plus $125 on board credit and a bottle of wine. I have traveled with Balcony rooms only. My friend suggested cruising Baltic should focus on ports instead of ship itself. Please help me to decide....thank you.

By the way, we are traveling in mid/late June.

Undecisive Piepie

My bf and I are both 30, been on Caribbean Princess Carnival Splendor, not that experienced but would really appreciate your input:)

Hello from Stockholm, Sweden! I would say, due to the fact that the ports are more important to you than the ship itself, that the 2 days stop in St. Petersburg should decide it all :rolleyes: There is so much to see & experience in that city (and in the surroundings), so - in fact - one day is absolutely too short time.

When I visited St. Petersburg myself a couple of years ago on a cruise ship, the harbour was situated far (far!) out at a typical dull industry area :eek: I think that this is still the case.

When visiting St. Petersburg you will need a visa. When going on a organized excursion (sold by the ship/cruise line company), a group visa is automatically included/given to all the participants in the group. If you intend to go by your own (not on an organized excursion), you will have to apply for a visa ahead of the cruise, in your home country. It is even a cost associated with that application....however, I do not know the cost....

On your Baltic Sea cruise you will even be visiting my home city Stockholm (the capital of Sweden). The approach by ship from the open sea into the city centre is absolutely fantastic:) The trip, by ship, takes approx 5 hours through one of the world's most beautiful arcipelagos...constisting of 24.000 islands. The original parts of Stockholm city (including "the Old Town") is built on 12 islands - and the city is occasionaly called "the Venice of the North".

Enjoy your cruise !:)

I read a lot of online reviews and very concerned with the food, service, and quality of MSC. The price of MSC definitely looks better than other cruise lines, but I'm not sure...

-My main point for this cruise is to visit Russia. MSC offers one day in St. Petersburg while NCL Sun offers two.

-I heard there are operas and orchestra music played on MSC :) I definitely love that

-I love steak, lobster, and buffet

My travel agent gave me $1200 for Magnifica Balcony and $1320 for Sun oceanview plus $125 on board credit and a bottle of wine. I have traveled with Balcony rooms only. My friend suggested cruising Baltic should focus on ports instead of ship itself. Please help me to decide....thank you.

By the way, we are traveling in mid/late June.

Undecisive Piepie

My bf and I are both 30, been on Caribbean Princess Carnival Splendor, not that experienced but would really appreciate your input:)

MSC is waaay better than NCL. We wil lnever cruise NCL even for free:eek:

MSC is waaay better than NCL. We wil lnever cruise NCL even for free:eek:

The cruise to the Baltics is all about the ports so my suggestion is to go on the longest cruise you can afford and not to worry about which cruise line or stateroom category as the bulk of your time will be spend touring the wonderful places . 2 days in St P is a must and I suggest you rather book a private tour which should work out least 50% cheaper than a cruise line tour of St P. No matter which cruise line you choose , you are sure to enjoy the Baltics.

Have recently sailed Princess, NCL, Cunard(all european cruises) and now booked MSC for Black Sea. Would prefer not to sail Princess again. Others no complaints enjoyed all three equally. St Pete Red October is the best private tour company. Have recommended a number of friends since we did private shore excursions with them in 2009 all had great experiences... Have fun...

Archived