Norwegian Star vs. Carnival Conquest

DispatchJess

Hi all... planning out a trip for November 2012 and I'm deciding between the Carnival Conquest (going to Montego Bay, Grand Turks, and Cozumel -- I've already done this trip but loved it so much I want to go again) vs. the Norwegia Star (Costa Maya, Belize City, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras, Cozumel-- never been to any of these places except Cozumel). Both leave out of New Orleans. Both are priced relatively the same as well. I've never cruised on NCL or Carnival- only Princess (3x), Holland America (1x) and Royal Caribbean (1x), however these three lines don't offer the dates I need for my scheduled vacation.

For those who have been on these two ships, what do you recommend? I've experienced both freestyle dining and assigned time dining- I like both, but lean more towards freestyle (not a deal breaker though). I'm in my late 20s but don't want to get drunk every night (but I definitely enjoy going out and enjoying the 'fun' environment though- definitely love to dance :)). I've read the reviews on both ships but I just do not know which way to lean. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!

Jessica

(To add... I like the fact NCL has a refundable deposit but don't like that Carnival is non-refundable)

We will be cruising on The Spirit in March and can't wait. I chose The Spirit for the departing port, and itinerary (trying not to repeat the same Islands at this point-too many different ones I want to see). After I made my reservation/deposit, I then started reading as many posts as I could about it, to make sure it would fit us before I made final deposit and it will. Still reading reviews, and posts. Here are a couple of reviews that you should ck out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537010

and,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1535834

Just keep reading posts and I'm sure whichever one you decide on, you will enjoy... :)

Thanks for the help all- choosing the Star. It's new ports and a slightly calmer crowd. Plus I am still leaning towards the free style cruising. And my room is a great location... 11621 - can't beat that :) (all about the inside cabin!)

Any tips then from those who have visited Costa Maya, Belize City, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras, Cozumel on what to do?

Archived