Easiest Rental Car Companies at Ports

samtgrizz

We will be taking the Golden Princess on Feb. 15 and going to:

Hilo,9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Honolulu,7:00 AM 11:00 PM

Kauai (Nawiliwili),8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Maui (Lahaina),7:00 AM 6:00 PM

We would like to rent cars in each port and would like suggestions on which rental car companies service the ports and how easy it is to do.

Thanks

We will be taking the Golden Princess on Feb. 15 and going to:

Hilo,9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Honolulu,7:00 AM 11:00 PM

Kauai (Nawiliwili),8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Maui (Lahaina),7:00 AM 6:00 PM

We would like to rent cars in each port and would like suggestions on which rental car companies service the ports and how easy it is to do.

Thanks

Here's the companies I recall see from our cruise this past November. Enterprise, Budget, National, Hertz, Thrify, Avis. All have shuttles from the pier to the airport and back.

Most of the shuttles partner (example share a Budget & Avis).

On Hilo, Kauai, and Maui, you get off the ship and wait in the rental car shuttle area. Our longest wait was maybe 15 minutes. Ride to the airports is short. On all islands we were in our cars after getting off the ship in around 45 minutes.

Here's the companies I recall see from our cruise this past November. Enterprise, Budget, National, Hertz, Thrify, Avis. All have shuttles from the pier to the airport and back.

Most of the shuttles partner (example share a Budget & Avis).

On Hilo, Kauai, and Maui, you get off the ship and wait in the rental car shuttle area. Our longest wait was maybe 15 minutes. Ride to the airports is short. On all islands we were in our cars after getting off the ship in around 45 minutes.

Not all the car rental companies mentioned in the previous post have shuttles from the pier in Honolulu. I made a reservations with Hertz for a car and was told by reservations they have shuttles available. I was given a Honolulu phone number to call on arrival. Just to be sure I called the number shortly after making the reservations and the young lady I spoke to said they only have shuttles to the pier on Saturdays. We are there on Tuesday. I am still checking with other car companies. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them.

I rented a car through Alamo. They have regular 20 minutes shuttles from the pier. I think the person I spoke with at Hertz was incorrect in telling me they only have shuttles on Saturdays. I bet Hertz has the same shuttle arrangements but I just couldn't take the chance.

On Hilo, Kauai, and Maui, you get off the ship and wait in the rental car shuttle area. Our longest wait was maybe 15 minutes. Ride to the airports is short.

I don't know that the there are rental car shuttles in Lahaina. It would be a long ride to the airport in Kahului and not that close to get to the little airport in West Maui. I'm sure the rental car companies have some set up at the dock in Lahaina for the days ships dock there. Just be sure when you make the reservation that pick up of the car is in Lahaina not Kahului.

I don't know that the there are rental car shuttles in Lahaina. It would be a long ride to the airport in Kahului and not that close to get to the little airport in West Maui. I'm sure the rental car companies have some set up at the dock in Lahaina for the days ships dock there. Just be sure when you make the reservation that pick up of the car is in Lahaina not Kahului.

I believe that the major companies with locations on the northern west side will send shuttles to the Lahaina tender pier on ship days, but they don't have cars at the pier area. There are a few near the West Maui Airport (15-20 up the coast from Lahaina), a number at hotels along Ka'anapali (10 minutes up the coast from Lahaina), and a Hertz actually in Lahaina. I'm pretty sure there are a few "non national" companies in Lahaina, but have no specific information.

Absolutely spot on about not renting from Kahului locations as it's nearly 1 hour each way and no company will send a shuttle to Lahaina from there.

beachchick

Archived