Kiel Germany ~ Tour guide or Train

I would like to go to Lubeck and searched old threads on how to do this by train. I wonder if any one had recent experience (2011) on doing this? Has anyone booked a van/private excursion with a company they would recommend?

Thanks for any current info!

From what I see on the the website http://www.scout-sh.de (choose your language somewhere mid-page) there is a direct train (Regionalbahn) going between those two cities, which will take between 70 to 90 minutes for one way. Ths cost will be about 16,- € for one way.

This is for connections between both main stations.

Not being from the area and not knowing my way around there I can not give any further insight, but I guessed being from Germany and knowing a bit about our traffic system could at least give me the ability to point you in the right direction.

Also, working as a Concierge in Germany, should give the the ability to inform you a little more detailed, when more detailed questions should arise.

If you dock at "Ostseekai" in Kiel, which I think is their main cruise terminal, the trainstation is pretty much in walking distance (about 1 mile) and I am sure it should be an easy walk, just as it is to the "Schwedenkai" or "Norwegenkai" (where the ships to Norway and Sweden leave).

As Ben said, there is a local train to Lübeck which according to bahn.de runs twice an hour. It's a very easy and inexpensive trip.

There is a "Schleswig-Holstein Ticket" which is valid for 24 hours on all local trains (Regionalbahn and Regionalexpress). The ticket costs 26 Euros for one person plus an additional 3 Euros if you want to take more people (29 Euros for 2, 32 Euros for 3, 35 Euros for 4, 38 Euros for a maximum of 5 people). You can buy the ticket online in advance, possibly at a ticket machine or right at the train station travel center (2 Euro fee).

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/laender-ticket.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

this is Jens from KIEL / Germany. If you have questions about Kiel/Lübeck let me know.

In the last few years I made 11 cruises. Most of them with NCL and my next Transatlantic Cruise starts in April (NCL-Epic, Miami-Barcelona). So I know the problems cruisers have in unknown ports of call ;-)

When do you arrive in Kiel ?

All the best from Germany, Jens

Hello Kiel,

I am just planning our b2b next years cruise, most likely we will cruise with MSC and one of their port is Kiel and we want to visit Lubeck by ourselves, there are 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 children age 17 and 15. Can you please tell me this bahn.de website for train tickets as mentioned above, what is the train station called from Kiel where cruise dock and where do we want to stop (station name) in Lubeck, I believe we want downtown where most things are located, perhaps central station.. I suppose the 24 hours train tickets for 4 of us is Euro 26+3+3+3=Eu35. Does this 24h tickets include the local bus in Lubeck?

Also, there will be another Kiel day in the 2nd leg of the cruise, we may be interested to see Hamburg from Kiel, is this kind of tickets also good for Kiel/Hamburg and what are the train station is called in central Hamburg?

Many thanks.

Hello PC168,

yes, you can use the "Schleswig-Holstein Ticket" for Lübeck und for Hamburg too.

The cost for 4 Persons (older than 14 yo.) is 26+3+3+3=35 EUR. The ticket is valid workdays from Monday-Friday 09:00 am. - 03:00 am. the next day and weekends from 00:00-03.00. The local buses in Lübeck are not included in the price, but believe me, you don´t need the bus. The train Station (Lübeck Hauptbahnhof or Hbf.) is near the famous "Holstentor" and all interesting cultural and historical points and shopping centres are in walking distance. In Hamburg the local buses are included for the inner part of the city. The central trainstation (Hamburg Hauptbahnhof or Hbf.) is also in the city center.

Let me know, if you need more informations.

All the best from Kiel to Canada, Jens

Thank you so much Kiel.

Would you know what is the cruise port train station is called in Kiel?

Knowing we will sail with MSC.

How long does it take from Kiel to Hamburg by train?

Thanks.

Edited by PC168
more text

Hi,

the centralstation (Kiel Hauptbahnhof Hbf.) is only a few hundred meters away from the Cruise Terminal "Ostseekai"

http://www.port-of-kiel.de/index.php?active_id=48

and normally MSC has a shuttle bus.

With the Schleswig-Holstein Ticket you are allowed to use the "Regionalexpress" to Hamburg. ca. 75 Minutes one way.

Jens

• 2 months later...
I would like to go to Lubeck and searched old threads on how to do this by train. I wonder if any one had recent experience (2011) on doing this? Has anyone booked a van/private excursion with a company they would recommend?

Thanks for any current info!

CC02 - I haven't had a chance to research either Lubeck or Hamburg as yet so I'd appreciate anything you could share on what made Lubeck your preferred day trip from Kiel since we were thinking Hamburg was the logical place to see. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi,

this is Jens from KIEL / Germany. If you have questions about Kiel/Lübeck let me know.

In the last few years I made 11 cruises. Most of them with NCL and my next Transatlantic Cruise starts in April (NCL-Epic, Miami-Barcelona). So I know the problems cruisers have in unknown ports of call ;-)

When do you arrive in Kiel ?

All the best from Germany, Jens

Hi Jens - arriving in May 2014 - did not plan anything yet - are there private tour cars or taxis that go to Hamburg or city tour of Kiel - what do you suggest? Any advise would be helpful - only have from 8 - 5 pm for stay.

Lee

Jens,

Three questions that perhaps you can answer.

First, how popular is Travemunde Week, and what is there to do? Our cruise is scheduled to be in Travemunde this year on Saturday, July 26, the second to last day of the sailing festival.

Second, will Travemunde Week affect greatly train travel on a Saturday from Travemunde to Lubeck?

Third, do you have any suggestions on finding a tour guide in Lubeck?