Changed itinerary - Mariner Eastern. Have a question.

Hello all,

I booked a D2 on Mariner for its eastern sailing on Nov 27 a few months ago. Earlier this evening I connected to RCCL's website to make a payment and check on a few things. However, when I tried to bring up my reservation, I was told it couldn't be accessed because it was being modified. Hmmm.

Well, there are other ways to skin this cat, so I checked with shore excursions for my reservation (they're still not available for my sailing yet) and noticed that RCCL has apparently changed the itinerary for this sailing. Hmmm.

Instead of Nassau from 8-2, they have substituted CocoCay from 7AM til 4PM. Cool with me - I've always wanted to see some of these 'private islands' and we had already been to Nassau before. I think the water may seem a little chilly to us Florida folks, but we'll make the best of it.

However, the other thing they did was change our arrival time in STT from 7AM to 9AM. I have already booked a daysail on Highpockets out of Red Hook at 9:30 and, although I know she will wait for a little while, I am concerned once again about time pressures.

Do you think that, because we 'technically' aren't travelling to a US port via a foreign one anymore, we might be able to forego the in-person immigrations process in Charlotte Amalie? Or is CocoCay considered to be a 'foreign' port as well? Any help or advice you experienced cruisers can lend is greatly appreciated.

I have yet to check the port schedule for Charlotte Amalie regarding recent changes, so I don't know if new arrivals have necessitated this itinerary change.

Ironically, some weeks ago I sent an email to RCCL suggesting they consider changing the itinerary for Mariner's eastern to allow a stop in CocoCay instead of Nassau because, I reasoned, that would alleviate the immigrations concerns that I and many others have. Who knows, maybe someone high up in the RCCL chain of command actually saw my mail. ;)

Naahhh! :) :)

best,

John

I was on the Zuiderdam 2 years ago and we stopped at their private island in the Bahamas, then went to St. Thomas and we went through immigration. Only Royal knows for sure though.

I was on the Zuiderdam 2 years ago and we stopped at their private island in the Bahamas, then went to St. Thomas and we went through immigration. Only Royal knows for sure though.

Right. So I contacted RCI first thing this morning and...

a) They confirmed the itinerary change for this sailing, and

b) told me that we did not need to go through immigration in STT as cruisers currently do.

While I trust the information RCI is giving me, I still like reading posts from experienced cruisers such as yourself on these matters. And, of course, a lot can change between now and November.

best,

John

John, I just got off the Voyager and we also sailed on the Mariner in January, and I assure you that we DID have to go through a "check" in the dining room before STT. It was a real pain on the Voyager, not as bad on Mariner. They look at your room key, documents, then give you a yellow gangplank slip which nobody checked. The cab ride to Red Hook is about 20 min, but can take longer depending on traffic and whether your cab driver is picking up or dropping off others at a resort along the way. Most daysail operators work to schedule trips according to ship schedules, and will try to accomodate you. Maybe they have a later sailing? If not, there are others who do. You will not be able to make it at 9:30. There are also private sails offered from St John. The ferries from Red Hook run on the hour. Either way, allow yourself at least an hour to get off the ship, catch a cab and get there.

Right. So I contacted RCI first thing this morning and...

a) They confirmed the itinerary change for this sailing, and

b) told me that we did not need to go through immigration in STT as cruisers currently do.

While I trust the information RCI is giving me, I still like reading posts from experienced cruisers such as yourself on these matters. And, of course, a lot can change between now and November.

best,

John

John, to the best of my knowledge, CocoCay is part of the Bahamas...as such, an immigration check would be required when you got to STT.

Michael

I am also booked on the November 27, 2005 cruise on the Mariner, however when I check the RCCL website, it does not have a change in itinarary (at least on the pages I am looking at). I would love to go to Cococay too, as I don't really like Nassau.

What link did you use to find the change?

I am also booked on the November 27, 2005 cruise on the Mariner, however when I check the RCCL website, it does not have a change in itinarary (at least on the pages I am looking at). I would love to go to Cococay too, as I don't really like Nassau.

What link did you use to find the change?

:rolleyes: Just Called RCI and a few cruises prior to ours (10/2/05) and a few after are still going to Nassau, then for the rest of the "season" they will be going to Coco Cay starting (11/27/05).

She said they will cruise half of a season to one itinerary and then the rest of the season to another.

She did not anticipate any changes to our (10/2/05) itinerary unless on of the Big H's gets in the way.

I would have loved to have seen Coco cay. Have not made it there yet.

Also RCI is trying to negotiate again with Atlantis to allow passengers to purchase an excursion thru the ship to use "ALL" of its facilities. She said you never know what they may be able to work out by October. I will cross my fingers that is really what I want to do.

Archived