Snorkeling in February??

DisneyTech

Hi Everyone. My wife and I will be stopping in Roatan on Feb. 9th on the Solstice and were wondering if the water will be too cold to allow for comfortable snorkeling.

I have been reading about the Victor Bodden tours and would love to do one of those and have them take us to a beach with good snorkeling. Any recommendations on that if it won't be too cold? Thanks for your help as this is one of my first posts on CC. :)

James

Hi Everyone. My wife and I will be stopping in Roatan on Feb. 9th on the Solstice and were wondering if the water will be too cold to allow for comfortable snorkeling.

I have been reading about the Victor Bodden tours and would love to do one of those and have them take us to a beach with good snorkeling. Any recommendations on that if it won't be too cold? Thanks for your help as this is one of my first posts on CC. :)

James

Welcome to CC!

From what I understand, the dive guys say the average water temp in winter is 81, the average temp in summer is 83. Doesn't shift all that much.

I have been down in Jan, Feb, March and April, I have never noticed the water to be to cold, if you are concerned have a go at a rashguard shirt, light weight and drys fast.

The easiest access reef snorkeling is off of Tabyana Beach which is part of West Bay Beach.

This thread may be of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be there on Jan 31st and was wondering about the water temps.

It looks like Tabayana Beach is either a taxi drop off on your own situation or a ship excursion. Correct?

I have tried booking at Bananarama since you can't beat the cost p/p for the transportation, etc but reading the thread mentioned above has me concerned about all the boats in the water. We have also been having issues with our bank allowing charges from them since they are international.

Also, after reading the thread on the link, I am now nervous about the swimming. I have enjoyed snorkeling several times before but I have never had to swim through a "maze" either.

What to do...what to do..

I do not know if you can get in to the Tabyana area (chair, potties, food) without being part of the cruise excursion. Next time I am own I am going to ask.

With that said, the beach is free so it you don't need a chair or potties and are willing to walk for food then by all means, plop yourself anywhere.

Pay Bananarama if you can talk you bank in to it, then when you want to snorkel the reef walk down the beach. Mastercard works the world over...just give em your number, easy peasy.

AS long as you look up and toward the beach often enough you can keep your bearings. It is not so much a maze cause you either swim toward the horizon or you swim toward the beach. Granted there are more difficult spots to get though but they are difficult cause of the reef and the shallow water.

Archived