Food to try, food to avoid

So I've saved all the new menus to my computer. But there are so many choices. And as we'll be on Liberty we have several non dining room choices to try at lunch. Is there anything I should make sure not to miss. I look at some days and I want to try 4 or five things. And then desserts - chocolate melting cake for sure, but are there any there I don't want to miss. Or are there things described as yummy that sucked. Thanks

On our last cruise my husband ordered Alligator Fritters.....I was unsure about them so I did not order them, actually our group of 7 others did not order them as well. When he recieved his order, we all tried a piece and they were excellent, so we all ordered them. This is something I would have never tried but was so happy I did. We leave on 1/30/12 for a "quick" 5 day cruise and I am hoping that they offer the fritters again.... :)

I may try most of the dija ever stuff, but that might be in addition to another appetizer. Desserts, I'm curious about bitter and blanc, cherries jubilee and creme brulee. Is there a regular non-diet cheesecake. Dinner- I'm not a huge lamb fan so it would have to be really good. I do like seafood, but not smoked, so not sure about the seafood platter thing. I also don't see the kids menu here. We are all so different, I am the most adventurous where everyone else is picky. DS could live on cereal and toast, DD may be difficult, but she'll eat chicken if it's good and DH doesn't like seafood, creamy sauces, cheese so he'll be limited but still have some choice. I may feed the kids (9 and 12, so not exactly small) early and just go to the MDR with DH if it becomes difficult. I also think the kids are interested in trying room service, so that's another option.

I enjoyed the alligator but heard later on it was not really alligator as it was not in season.

On the Legend in september, the head waiter told us they were not alligator, too. But he did not give a reason why they made it with some sort of fish.

I enjoyed the alligator but heard later on it was not really alligator as it was not in season.

Alligator is always in season in Florida. There are nuisance trappers who make their year-round living trapping nuisance gators. Tens of thousands a year.

The public hunting season lasts for only a few weeks, but gators are harvested year round and all of the nuisance gator meat is cubed, frozen and sold for food. You can always get gator meat.

Our last cruise was in October and we were told the alligator fritters didn't have alligator in them because they couldn't get a shipment of alligator in. Sounds like this is really common. Wonder if they ever intend to actually put alligator in the fritters? Not complaining- just wondering...

In any case, by far the best change we made on our last cruise regarding food was to eat lunch in the dining room vice the Lido Deck. We don't have little ones so it was just us and changing out of our pool wear was easy enough. We found the dining room lunches to be of better quality than even the dinners. The caprese salad was especially good as was the lunch salmon item.

Two people can try the same dish and one hate it and the other love it. Food is so subjective you should try it all and decide for yourself.

Here are some pictures with the menus that may help you decide:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/new_11_11/index.htm

Thank you so much for the link to the menus and your photos. It is very helpful. Shirley

So I've saved all the new menus to my computer. But there are so many choices. And as we'll be on Liberty we have several non dining room choices to try at lunch. Is there anything I should make sure not to miss. I look at some days and I want to try 4 or five things. And then desserts - chocolate melting cake for sure, but are there any there I don't want to miss. Or are there things described as yummy that sucked. Thanks

Non-dining room:The Guy's burgers (if we don't eat them all the week before you go:D). Blue Iguana breakfast tacos/burritos.

MDR: Vegetarian Lasagna. If they serve the "basa fish" dish, it's excellent. Creme brulee on first night. Same for shrimp cocktail, if you liek shrimp, first night only night served. Bitter n Blanc, Grand Mariner soufle, any of the creamed soups like pumpkin or mushroom.

Avoid the prime rib as it can be fatty or over cooked. Avoid the Southern Fried Chicken because it's not SOUTHERN Fried. Flat iron steak can be hit or miss. Spa cuisine fish dishes tend to be dried out, but other spa course are good. Spa desserts-AREN'T.

Ok...I'm a bit scared to ask...but what was it then if it wasn't alligator!!?? :eek:

I really enjoyed the chilled bing cherry soup- it was like melted cherry vanilla ice cream. So yummy! And the pistachio creme brulee- very good also!

If you don't care for the entrees that night- you could just order a few different appetizers. Personally, I like to order something different than what DH is ordering so that we can each taste a new food, but don't feel like I wasted food if I end up not caring for it...

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Two people can try the same dish and one hate it and the other love it. Food is so subjective you should try it all and decide for yourself.

Here are some pictures with the menus that may help you decide:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/new_11_11/index.htm

your link made me SO HUNGRY and wistful since it is right before lunch time in Chicago that I had to stop looking!

Our last cruise was in October and we were told the alligator fritters didn't have alligator in them because they couldn't get a shipment of alligator in. Sounds like this is really common. Wonder if they ever intend to actually put alligator in the fritters? Not complaining- just wondering...

In any case, by far the best change we made on our last cruise regarding food was to eat lunch in the dining room vice the Lido Deck. We don't have little ones so it was just us and changing out of our pool wear was easy enough. We found the dining room lunches to be of better quality than even the dinners. The caprese salad was especially good as was the lunch salmon item.

When at the Chef's Table last month on the Paradise repo, I talked to the chef about the gator (being in Florida). He said that they use about 60lbs of gator for the DIJA fritter offer and if they don't have the gator it's not offered on the menu (they can and do print updated menus when necessary), so it seems that a few different stories about this exist. While they are not as good a straight gator without all the breading and fluff, they are still good and like another poster said, I wouldn't avoid any dish based on what someone else thinks - we all have our own likes and dislikes.

B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

on the carnival spirit i made the best chips and salsa at the hamburger/hotdog station. homemade chips, melted cheese, homemade salsa and the best sour cream. adding a hotdog too the plate didnt hurt either :D. i could it everyday. yummmm.

My favorites are:

Bitter and blanc

Roasted pumpkin soup (look for this on the Lido lunch buffet the next day for another helping!)

Prime rib

BBQ ribs

Cheese plate (blue cheese... drool...)

I would like to try (these have been added since my last cruise or I've never seen them):

Spinach and portobello salad

Potato cream soup

Pumpkin cheese pot pie

Corn chowder

Sweet potato soup

Bacon mac and cheese

Brownie melting tart

I probably won't eat again:

Lobster (wasn't my thing though I tried it)

Melting cake

Baked Alaska

Any diet dessert

Safe choices:

Any of the fried shrimp

Roasted chicken

Flat iron

Sherbet/ice cream

Bagel from the deli :)