Payne's Bay... anyone been there lately?

guntheros

I am just wondering if anyone has been to Payne's Bay lately? I have read mostly good reviews here on CC, but then on trip advisor I read mostly bad. The bad all seemed to revolve around rude, overbearing vendors that ruined their experience. A lot of the reviews/info here on CC is somewhat dated, so was wondering if anyone has been there recently? I really just want to go and swim with the turtles, then we can leave if it's too bad, but just thought I'd try and warn my family if this beach is still known for aggressive vendors.

I don't recall Payne's Bay being any worse for vendors than some of the other beaches we visited on the island.

We found that a polite and firm "No, thanks" was often enough to send them on their way.

We had one vendor try and sell us on a jet ski rental at Mullins, and after a couple of polite "no, thanks" he ended up sitting with us on the beach and we had a great time just hanging out and chatting with him. He was your average family guy just looking to pay his bills like the rest of us.

No matter where I've been on holidays, I've always been approached by vendors trying to sell me something. I just roll with it and don't let it bother me...

Cheers, P:)

I am just wondering if anyone has been to Payne's Bay lately? I have read mostly good reviews here on CC, but then on trip advisor I read mostly bad. The bad all seemed to revolve around rude, overbearing vendors that ruined their experience. A lot of the reviews/info here on CC is somewhat dated, so was wondering if anyone has been there recently? I really just want to go and swim with the turtles, then we can leave if it's too bad, but just thought I'd try and warn my family if this beach is still known for aggressive vendors.

HI. Nicole, We will be at Paynes beach doing the same thing. Got a friend who was there a few weeks ago Had a little trouble at first with the vendors but after a few NO's it became fun.

Also Barbados Has a law against overbearing vendors

Paul

We were at Payne's Bay last week. Our 3 kids and their BF's and GF all snorkled out to the catamarans and saw many turtles. The vendors were no problem. We got 2 chairs and an umbrella for $15. 'Spider' took care of us - got us beer and made sure everything was ok. There will be ppl. asking if you want to jetski or go in the glassbottomed boat but if you say no they don't hassle you. It was a great day!!

We were at Payne's Bay last week. Our 3 kids and their BF's and GF all snorkled out to the catamarans and saw many turtles. The vendors were no problem. We got 2 chairs and an umbrella for $15. 'Spider' took care of us - got us beer and made sure everything was ok. There will be ppl. asking if you want to jetski or go in the glassbottomed boat but if you say no they don't hassle you. It was a great day!!

Hi,

We're visiting Barbados in March and look forward to this beach. When you say "Spider" took care of you, was he connected to a bar on the beach? Also, how much did you tip him for the day?

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi,

We're visiting Barbados in March and look forward to this beach. When you say "Spider" took care of you, was he connected to a bar on the beach? Also, how much did you tip him for the day?

Thanks,

Nancy

I'm not sure who 'Spider' was connected to. He seemed to know everyone on the beach - from the guy who set us up with the chairs, to the guys with the jet skis. He just came over, introduced himself and told us to come to him for anything. He may have made hiimself 'mayor of Paynes Bay' :) I went to him when I was worried my guys may be getting tired after 45 minutes snorkelling without a tube and he said they were ok. He kept an eye on them and pointed to them as they were making their way in. I just gave him a couple of bucks when he brought back our bucket of beer. I do know that he asked my daughter on a few occasions if they wanted any gonja (sp?) (when I was out of earshot) - lol.

How popular is this beach? We will be in port with 3 other ships on a Saturday and don't want to deal with wall to wall people...

There was just one other ship in port the day we were. I have a feeling that Carlisle Beach is probably more busy judging by the fact that all the taxi drivers were pushing it ($3 per person for about a 5 minute ride). Others may know better though.

There was just one other ship in port the day we were. I have a feeling that Carlisle Beach is probably more busy judging by the fact that all the taxi drivers were pushing it ($3 per person for about a 5 minute ride). Others may know better though.

Thanks-last year we were at Megans Bay in St.Thomas, which is usually perfect, well, it was a zoo wiuth wall to wall cruise towels all over the beach....

I'm not sure who 'Spider' was connected to. He seemed to know everyone on the beach - from the guy who set us up with the chairs, to the guys with the jet skis. He just came over, introduced himself and told us to come to him for anything. He may have made hiimself 'mayor of Paynes Bay' :) I went to him when I was worried my guys may be getting tired after 45 minutes snorkelling without a tube and he said they were ok. He kept an eye on them and pointed to them as they were making their way in. I just gave him a couple of bucks when he brought back our bucket of beer. I do know that he asked my daughter on a few occasions if they wanted any gonja (sp?) (when I was out of earshot) - lol.

Thanks for the info. I guess Spider's just one of many entrepreneurs you find in the Caribbean.

How far out did your kids have to swim to get out to the turtles? Trying to decide if my boyfriend and I should pay for a tour or do it ourselves at paynes beach. I heard you can rent snorkel equipment there also, is this true? Do they also rent out vest or floats? Just worried about how far the swim is to see the turtles if it is pretty rough waters. Thanks in advance for any info you or someone else can give me!!

Jena

Archived