Radisson Diamond Newest Letter!

cruiseerf

I had previously posted about how upset we were at the cancellation of the Radisson Diamonds summer cruises after being told by Radisson that this was not a possibility. Radisson told our travel agents that we should submit all airfare, upgrade expenses, to Radisson and they would "make good" on these.

Today I was notified that "from senior managment" they will not be covering any non refundable airfare! This means that I am currently sitting on $1800 of airfare that must be used by November (12 month rule).

This whole situation has been terrible and Radisson has mostly handled this poorly. My families major vacations are on ships and we will never again sail on Radisson because of this. The fact that Radisson is willing to have the poor will for the $1800 brings into question the decision making skills of the cruiseline and I for one am strongly questioning their customer service commitment.

I wish you all well with your future cruise decisions and I hope you take heed of our experience and how we have been treated. PS. Travel insurance does not cover the cancellation of a cruise due to sale of a ship.

Cheers!

Sorry to hear of this decision. RSSC seems to be making some poor customer service decisions lately. I don't blame you for being very, very upset. While not under any legal obligation to reimburse these costs, failing to do so after saying they would is inexcusable.

I booked two 06 cruises today, but will be keeping my fingers crossed that things don't progressively go downhill over the next year.

cruiseerf:

Your treatment be Radisson is hideous! We have one cruise on RSSC booked at this time. Haven't made a final decision on it, as we've still got a while till the "penalty period." But one thing is for sure -- we aren't booking any more until a few things sort themselves out!

Sorry,

Richard:(

I want to express a contrary viewpoint. There are all kinds of unforeseen things that can happen when you travel. There is always some risk to buying non-refundable airfare. The reason it's not refundable is because it's usually lower price. They usually do allow a change for a price on most airlines depending on the route and cost of the ticket. I've rarely seen someone actually lose the full value of the ticket.

All the cruiselines SELL airfare. If you book with them, they they take responsiblilty for the cancellation that is their fault. You pay more, but, there is a benefit. They are in businezs and they do have a contract with you that you are free to read at your leisure. Whether or not you agree, but, that's the price you pay. It's really not the fault of RSSC that their lease was over. I usually book my tickets with the cruise line as insurance or I use miles which can be put back into the mileage account.

Radisson's faults in this issue was selling a ship which they knew the lease was running out on. They went into the summer season with their eyes wide open and clearly on the $$$. I was unfortunately a casualty of this and while I know that they are under no "legal obligation" they could have handled this entire situation much better.

Rumour has it they are in merger talks......I wish whomever they merge with good luck and I hope they have their eyes on exceeding customer expectations and not taking advantage of them.

Radisson's fault here was its failure to protect its lease by the provisions of its contract with the former owner. For example, if I buy commercial real estate that is under lease to a commercial tennant for a year more, my purchase rights are SUBJECT TO THE TERMS OF THAT LEASE. If the lease says it cant be terminated, I, as the new purchaser, must honor it. Radisson clearly knows how to protect itself by contract. Just read your booking agreement. Radisson has relieved itself of liability for virtually everything -- as do all other cruise lines. But in the past, Radisson has treated its guests equitably, even though the booking contract gives them the right to do otherwise. Change is not always good.

Thanks,

Richard:mad:

In fairness, the issue is not the non-reimburseable costs...it's that RSSC initially said they would cover the costs, then changed their minds. Perhaps they were hit with higher potential costs than they expected. Regardless, this is a double blow for customers already upset by the cancellation. Few companies can afford to chase away customers, but a company is only as good as its credibility.

Whether they're in merger talks or not, they are acting like a company in the early stages of change. I'm under deposit for three cruises, so I hope it is change for the better and not for the worse.

Archived