Solstice 6239

espmass

I didn't do my homework and we booked cabin 6239 on the Solstice. I have read several posts warning of the smoke that drifts up from the smoking area on deck 5. This cabin is one of the hump cabins above both the smoking area and the Bistro on 5. This was the last available cabing mid ship; we don't like the extreme ends due to the movement since I am prone to motion sickness. Can someone PLEASE reassure me that the smoke and the noise from below won't be a major problem? Thanks.

I almost booked close to the same cabin for our frist upcoiming X cruise. My TA warned me the smoke could be severe and they move us to the hump on the other side. I don't think it will be a bother unless you are outside on the balcony.

I didn't do my homework and we booked cabin 6239 on the Solstice. I have read several posts warning of the smoke that drifts up from the smoking area on deck 5. This cabin is one of the hump cabins above both the smoking area and the Bistro on 5. This was the last available cabing mid ship; we don't like the extreme ends due to the movement since I am prone to motion sickness. Can someone PLEASE reassure me that the smoke and the noise from below won't be a major problem? Thanks.

Sorry, but if someone reassured you they would be lying to you. You are right above a public smoking area. If people are out there smoking you likely will notice smoke and perhaps noise (unless you are not sensitive to cigarette smoke; some people are not bothered by smoke outdoors, other people are). I personally would not book a stateroom there, but I am very sensitive to smoke.

Uh Oh. I was hoping for better news. We're not sensitive to smoke but don't want to have to smell it the entire cruise when we're on our balcony. As of now the only verandah cabins left are listed as obstructed and as partially obstructed. So are we better off taking our chances with the smoke or with a partially obstructed cabin? The ones left are 6299, 6206, 6198, and 6187.

Uh Oh. I was hoping for better news. We're not sensitive to smoke but don't want to have to smell it the entire cruise when we're on our balcony. As of now the only verandah cabins left are listed as obstructed and as partially obstructed. So are we better off taking our chances with the smoke or with a partially obstructed cabin? The ones left are 6299, 6206, 6198, and 6187.

Out of the ones you listed I would take 6299, but none seem like particularly great options. How soon is your cruise? Hopefully there is enough activity of people shuffling rooms between now and then that a better option opens up.

The cruise is 2/5. I'll call my TA tomorrow and see if there's some sort of waiting list for better cabins. I could kick myself for not checking but, on the other hand, we only booked a few days ago and this actually was the only mid ship verandah cabin left. Now I know why!

6206 is listed as "obstructed" as opposed to "partially obstructed". Just how obstructed is it?

I'm not sure, but here is the review from 6208 on the sticky(no review on 6206):

We could not look straight down from the balcony to the ocean, but on this ship I doubt many people can. There was a larger tender sized lifeboat at about knee level. Had no problem looking straight out to the horizon, however.

If you stay where you are, you may be better off. If it gets really windy, they close deck 5 so there is no smoking allowed. It happened quite a few times on our first Eclipse cruise. I don't smoke, and that was the only time we travelled with smokers. So other than that cruise, I didn't pay any attention. That could be of some consolation to you.

Thanks. Not to be second guessing what people are saying, but it seems to me that when the ship is moving any smoke would blow towards the back rather than up. I would think the only problem might be when we're in port and there's usually at least some breeze. I just hope that's right. I'm a bit concerned about noise from people below smoking and the people in Bistro on 5. We don't leave our cabin balcony door open at night so I can't imagine hearing too much noise. Sure hope I'm right. I'll still have us on a waiting list for a better mid ship cabin should one open.

Thanks. Not to be second guessing what people are saying, but it seems to me that when the ship is moving any smoke would blow towards the back rather than up. I would think the only problem might be when we're in port and there's usually at least some breeze. I just hope that's right. I'm a bit concerned about noise from people below smoking and the people in Bistro on 5. We don't leave our cabin balcony door open at night so I can't imagine hearing too much noise. Sure hope I'm right. I'll still have us on a waiting list for a better mid ship cabin should one open.

We always prefer port side on our cruises because I like to get the afternoon sun on our way back. I am very sensitive to smoke, and I don't think I would let what could happen from the deck below bother me too much. I went out on deck 5 with my family members while they were smoking, and honestly unless I was sitting directly (as in right next to) the left of them, I couldn't smell it at all. Even from the other smokers.

I realize other people have had issues and I am not doubting what they say. For me personally it wouldn't be a deal breaker. We didn't spend a lot of time on our balconies while in port anyway. Just when we were leaving. Have a great cruise!

Good news. I have been diligent about watching for other cabins to open. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it!) I wake up at 3AM and am able to see things before lots of other people see them. This morning two prime mid ship cabins on higher decks were available so I was able to switch. In some ways it would have been nice to be able to report back whether or not the smoke and noise were problematic, but this way we won't have any worries.

Good news. I have been diligent about watching for other cabins to open. Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it!) I wake up at 3AM and am able to see things before lots of other people see them. This morning two prime mid ship cabins on higher decks were available so I was able to switch. In some ways it would have been nice to be able to report back whether or not the smoke and noise were problematic, but this way we won't have any worries.

Great, glad it worked out. Lots of people have already reported back being bothered by smoke on the lower decks, so no big deal that you will not be able able to add to their stories. Have a great cruise. :)

The cruise is 2/5. I'll call my TA tomorrow and see if there's some sort of waiting list for better cabins. I could kick myself for not checking but, on the other hand, we only booked a few days ago and this actually was the only mid ship verandah cabin left. Now I know why!

We had 6241 (next cabin to yours) on our Med. cruise in September.

To tell you the truth, we didn't smell anything even when there were people smoking bellow. The cabin and location is great, we would book it any time.

• 5 years later...