MDR inconsistancy & dress

TKDgirl2456

Tell your Dad to stop worryng and enjoy himself in comfort .No one will say anything,we have sailed on CCL Disney and RCC in the last year and formal night is gone very casual now .You pays your money you does your thing .Have fun . No worry be happy

I, for one, am glad that the attire policy is more relaxed. I had to wear a suit and tie to the office every day for many years. That has changed. Somehow, I'm still able to get the same quality/quantity of work done -- probably even more and better than I used to.

This isn't the 1920s, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect to see (or want to see) more formal dress in the ship's restaurant. I just wish they would match the mood and style of the passengers with a corresponding atmosphere to the MDR. Make it into more of a comfortable, fun restaurant setting than a faux formal setting. And having the trained seals dance makes it neither more comfortable or fun. It is just awkward.

As for the level of service, I'm fine with it. More often than not, I actually think it is too over the top. They're all trained to strive for the highest customer satisfaction ratings. As a result, they expend more energy on being seen to be giving service rather than actually providing service. I wish it were more like a hotel. When I need someone at the front desk, they're there. When I need my room cleaned, it gets done. Otherwise, the staff are quitely efficient, not trying to be a part of my overall experience.

. Things that stand out are things like the drink server in the dining room seeing me on the Lido when she's working up there and remembering my name and what drink I like after only a couple of nights.

I still think you will experience this. :)

Honestly I don't understand these posts about what people are wearing but I have to draw the line at bare feet. No one should be allowed in a food establishment without shoes on. Otherwise I could care less what anyone is wearing because I too busy relaxing and enjoying myself.

We used to dress up our first several cruises but I admit we have started going more casual the last few times. I just don't feel like getting all glammed up on vacation anymore. We certainly don't show up in cutoffs/swimsuits and such but we do scale back more now.

I'll be surprised if anyone can top this dining room dress story!...

Christmas morning, the Splendor, a large family showed up to the MDR for breakfast wearing PJs and in their bare feet. I'm sure it felt cute to them, and God bless them, but I am not so sure everyone else enjoyed it. It felt a little bit disrespectful to me.

Am I too stuffy to be taken aback by bare feet and pajamas on Christmas morning in the MDR?

Christmas morning, the Splendor, a large family showed up to the MDR for breakfast wearing PJs and in their bare feet. I'm sure it felt cute to them, and God bless them, but I am not so sure everyone else enjoyed it. It felt a little bit disrespectful to me.

Am I too stuffy to be taken aback by bare feet and pajamas on Christmas morning in the MDR?

Not sure how far they had to walk to dining room, but imagine what their

feet picked up along the way:eek:

I, for one, am glad that the attire policy is more relaxed. I had to wear a suit and tie to the office every day for many years. That has changed. Somehow, I'm still able to get the same quality/quantity of work done -- probably even more and better than I used to.

This isn't the 1920s, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect to see (or want to see) more formal dress in the ship's restaurant. I just wish they would match the mood and style of the passengers with a corresponding atmosphere to the MDR. Make it into more of a comfortable, fun restaurant setting than a faux formal setting. And having the trained seals dance makes it neither more comfortable or fun. It is just awkward.

As for the level of service, I'm fine with it. More often than not, I actually think it is too over the top. They're all trained to strive for the highest customer satisfaction ratings. As a result, they expend more energy on being seen to be giving service rather than actually providing service. I wish it were more like a hotel. When I need someone at the front desk, they're there. When I need my room cleaned, it gets done. Otherwise, the staff are quitely efficient, not trying to be a part of my overall experience.

Amen.....

If people want "elegance" and to sail with "elegant people" then they have to pay the price.

A truly "elegant person" who sails on Carnival would probably sail expecting "a casual cruise"...and leave the tuxes and gowns at home anyway.

Honestly I don't understand these posts about what people are wearing but I have to draw the line at bare feet. No one should be allowed in a food establishment without shoes on. Otherwise I could care less what anyone is wearing because I too busy relaxing and enjoying myself.

We used to dress up our first several cruises but I admit we have started going more casual the last few times. I just don't feel like getting all glammed up on vacation anymore. We certainly don't show up in cutoffs/swimsuits and such but we do scale back more now.

Ok, I will mark the score sheet for one vote for naked with shoes.

Ok, well I might add they would have clothes on...figured that was a given. Otherwise I really could care less. In fact I love people watching so bad dress attire would probably just make me laugh. If I was wearing a beautiful dress and my husband was wearing a tux I am certainly not going to care what anyone else chooses to wear. Certainly doesn't take away from MY experience.

Reminds me of a time I went to church and I had my 15 year son (at the time) and his friend. The friend spent the night and didn't necessarily bring "church attire". He had a pair of pants that had the chains on them. You would not believe how rude so many of the people were, glaring at him and talking under their breaths (not quietly either). I would thought "gosh, sure nice that young man is at church" but that was not the sentiment. I kept thinking some 15 year old man is out vandalizing buildings and robbing folks and they are upset about the pants this kid wore to church. I no longer go to church, I can pray at home and not listen to judgemental people anymore.

Ok, I will mark the score sheet for one vote for naked with shoes.

No one is asking for formal gowns and jewels every night. But pajamas and bare feet??? Come on!!! That is ridiculous.

Maggie

I agree that bare feet and pj's is a but much. I do think there has to be some sort of dress code that is enforced. But I guess I've never given much thought to what others wear. There will be a group of 19 of us cruising in a few weeks, and we always dress appropriately, however, I guess it wouldn't really bother me all that much if someone doesn't dress like us. We went on Princess Cruise Line a few years ago, my DH and I were in our late 50's and we were the youngsters on the ship. Everyone dressed up on that ship and the dining room waiters were so stuffy they barely talked to us. No dancing and singing in the dining room, which we love. Just food brought to our table, and dishes taken away.....but the people looked great! I'll take Carnival any day.

You got bad food and poor service. There is the possibility that the staff noted that people really didn't care (they determined this by observing how they were dressed) and as a result felt that they didn't need to worry about the food and the service.

I do think there is a direct correlation.

Ok, well I might add they would have clothes on...figured that was a given. Otherwise I really could care less. In fact I love people watching so bad dress attire would probably just make me laugh. If I was wearing a beautiful dress and my husband was wearing a tux I am certainly not going to care what anyone else chooses to wear. Certainly doesn't take away from MY experience.

---

Agree 100%.

You know I am far more concerned with how people act than how they dress. I will wear jeans, dress shoes and a collared shirt in the MDR non-formal nights and a blazer and slacks on formal nights on Carnival. That is my personal dress code. If somebody else at my table is wearing t-shirts and shorts, so be it. Don't really care. If somebody is dressed in a nice suit and being condescending to the staff (as Ive seen on Princess) I am far more bothered.

Just wished they'd split the dining rooms into those that want to follow the older standard and those that want jeans, shorts, t-shirts and such. Just have people choose when they book, just like choosing early, late or anytime dining.

They used to say if you don't want to dress up you could go to the buffet but people said, and I agree, that they paid for the cruise so they should be able to get the same service, splitting the dining rooms would give each choice the same service.

And yes, before telling me, I know this type of thing has been discussed before

We had a poor service issue on RCCL years back. Our table had the men served first, the children's dinner came out at least 20 minutes after the last adults, and we did not get our drink order (we ordered when we sat down) until after dinner was over :eek: It just put a bad taste in our mouth. It was about 10 years ago. Sometimes I think that bad service is the luck of the draw. It did not stop us from cruising, but that was probably one of our worst cruises. The service was sub-standard on the entire ship. :(

I have observed the trend in attire as well, so I will not be paying the luggage for suits and gowns this time;) You know what they say: If you can't beat em...

My dad had back surgery recently & wears velour running suits for comfort (very stylish). He's afraid he won't be welcome in MDR with them (especially for EN). I told him anything goes any more, but he says he'll stick to Lido,

I'll sit with your dad. He'll look like James Bond next to me.

I like the informality just fine, but I do feel sorry for the folks who wanted their cruise to be the once-in-a-lifetime fairy tale experience that they imagined. They will be disappointed in the MDR no question.

Carnival is certainly not the line for a fairy tale cruise. That being said, I have enjoyed every Carnival cruise I have taken. But you get what you pay for. You cannot expect food or service of the Four Seasons when you pay on average $500pp for a week. It just isn't going to happen. What others wear to dinner isn't really my concern. I think pair of expensive jeans with a cute top and a hot pair of heels can look dynamite but to others it just isn't dressy enough.

Still bringing this one up huh? While I have no problem with the "PJ"s at breakfast, it wouldn't be my choice but I sure wouldn't let it bother me. However I did miss the barefoot comments the last time you brought this one up and can only assume that the maitre 'd missed it. BTW -- if they were all wearing "footsie" PJs or something like that for the fun of the Christmas morning on board, then it should not have been an issue and would not have been for me.

BTW - I still wear a Tux on formal (or elegant) nights and always will.

B&B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You got bad food and poor service. There is the possibility that the staff noted that people really didn't care (they determined this by observing how they were dressed) and as a result felt that they didn't need to worry about the food and the service.

I do think there is a direct correlation.

You think that the waiter and assistant waiter would intentionally give poor service because people were not dressed "appropriately"? Did they also go into the kitchen and intentionally bring out poor quality food because people were not dressed "appropriately"? You think they would risk their tips just because someone wasn't dressed up? Really?

ccl is just about down to ncls level.

Here is an example of my opinion on NCL: Last week I received a mailing from NCL re what sounded like a good deal on upgrades. I called my TA to price out trips and almost booked it. I got a similar price the same weekend for a land-based all inclusive (which I've never done). I decided to skip NCL and put my deposit towards the all inclusive. Not the effect NCL's ad was supposed to have.

Yikes-I will say, last April on the Liberty I walked in behind a woman in her swimsuit with a very shear cover up on over it and in her bare feet...yes...in the MDR. Oh well. At least she had a cover up on over her swimsuit I guess.

You think that the waiter and assistant waiter would intentionally give poor service because people were not dressed "appropriately"? Did they also go into the kitchen and intentionally bring out poor quality food because people were not dressed "appropriately"? You think they would risk their tips just because someone wasn't dressed up? Really?

No,no,no. I don't think they single out the slobs for poor service. I think that as a whole, they are less inclined to worry about sevice and quality as they observe people who cannot act like they've been out in public before. I believe they subconciously conclude that they don't need to care or worry. And I believe they cannot turn it off and on relative to how any particular patron is dressed. That meat loaf and mac'cheese are on the menu is another result of people wearing tshirts and swimsuits to dinner.

It's an aggregate effect.

Archived