Bumped up! How does that happen?

Kybabe

Just got back from a cruise on the . Talked with 3 different couples who had been bumped up to better cabins than they booked and paid for, but none knew why. How does that happened? :confused:

I don't believe there's anything but random chance involved. We got bumped up on the Splendour last year from oceanview to balcony. The people that got our oceanview were bumped up from a lower deck outside. The people that should have had our balcony were bumped up to a higher deck balcony.

It had nothing to do number of previous cruises, because the Travel Agent hadn't communicated by C&A number to them. We just got lucky!

The only downside is that now that I've had a balcony ... nothing else will do. Makes the next cruise a trifle more pricey.

We are Diamond C&A members, but even when we were platinum we were upgraded twice to the Royal Suite (not royal family suite but the one that has a baby grand piano in the living room) on cruises that were longer than 10 days. Each time we had booked a Owners suite at undiscounted prices. The first time we were offered the upgrade about 3 weeks before the cruise for a fee of $300 (which was the difference in taxes I think). The second time we were just called by our TA about 2 months before the cruise and told that they had upgraded us.

The only think that I can think of is that we a have never booked any thing other than a suite and, in fact, except for once in JS, every time has been an OS.

Anyway we have been surprised and estatic everytime it has happened.

(This is beachchick; beachguy is my DH)

I'm happy when anyone gets an upgrade--I just wish it would happen to us. (Yes, I admit it does kind of irk me when first timers tell us about the free upgrade they got because I think, "Hey, what about us loyal repeat customers? Boo-hoo." But that's mostly a passing thought. After all, we're lucky enough to be able to afford to cruise from time to time.:)) However, for pity's sake, don't "brag" to everyone onboard about how you got this great free upgrade. Just enjoy it.

Anyway, regarding the 2 upgrades to RS. That's extraordinarily unusual. (This is for any newbies who think it's a common occurance; it's so far from common that it's actually amazing.) But I don't think the $300 would be for government fees or taxes. They are a set/flat rate for the cruise and are not based on sale price. If you go to price a cruise, you can check an inside and then check the RS, but the additional fees/taxes (not port charges, that's something else entirely, but also a set amount) will be identical regardless. In any case, iliketocruise, I say "Wow!" and "Good for you."

beachchick

Thanks for your replies. Still seems a mystery to me. My DH thinks it has to do with when people booked. If RC needs more cabins at a certain rate then they will bump up the earlier bookers to make room for the later ones rather than rewarding late bookers with better accomadations. Does that make any sense?:confused:

(This is beachchick; beachguy is my DH)

However, for pity's sake, don't "brag" to everyone onboard about how you got this great free upgrade. Just enjoy it.

beachchick

I absolutely agree about not bragging....The only people we have ever told have been our table mates, and that is because we've invited the up for a drink. I was sort of embarassed to be in a room that size and didn't want them to think we were accustomed to that lifestyle.:)

Thanks for your replies. Still seems a mystery to me. My DH thinks it has to do with when people booked. If RC needs more cabins at a certain rate then they will bump up the earlier bookers to make room for the later ones rather than rewarding late bookers with better accomadations. Does that make any sense?:confused:
\

Uhm, no.

Cruise lines will upgrade when they have space available. I had a couple who booked Holland in a high category outside cabin. Holland upgraded them to a balcony. There is no doubt in my mind that Holland made that decision to upgrade them to create a balcony customer for life. Smart Holland....

We booked a D1 on Voyager and got upgraded to a Junior Suite. This is our first cruise with RCCL. Definitely think there is some marketing strategy at work. Get someone hooked on a particular type of cabin, and they may be more inclined to book that the next time around too.

But - don't care why it happened - we're going to really enjoy the Junior Suite!!

Archived