What when RCI changes the itinerary? (Jewel, Adventure)

Verfai

Hey all,

Just an open question where I want some insights & opinions :D.

I have been undecided for a while concerning our second cruise in September…Due to

closer to home I was solely watching European sailings.

When you book the cruise, the fine print always says that itinerary can change at any time…And lately RCI is doing so in for the Med/EU sailings:

-Pulled Jewel back early end of September

-Adventure has a totally different itinerary end of September

*please note I don’t care they want more ships back in the US, makes them cheaper for us to when they saturate a market, anywhere in the world for that matter. We will follow them as the world is too large & beautiful to stay fixated on the same part all your life. Plus, I applaud this, can only make it more interesting with some new destinations.

However, my concern is the following…I generally book everything myself, cruise, flights, etc...

Now, all works fine, until the cruise liner decides to change itinerary and even dates like with Navigator. We all know when RCI does something like this, even cancel your reservation, you get the opportunity to rebook or get a full refund.

But, what do you do with your travel arrangements and so on???

For us personally, we would lose a lot of money, by examples:

-The money we spend on the airline tickets, most are unchangeable or unrefundable

-we would have arranged a dog hotel where they ask for a deposit when you book, so that to might be lost

-All your arrangements for travel insurance

…And probably forgetting some stuff.

So,

Would you lose all that money and rebook everything again?

Or would you look for a different cruise liner that departs around the same date and place?

Or look for a land based vacation at the chosen embarkation city?

Or maybe even try to get RCI to pay you your flights back by sewing them???

Anyhow, what I see changing on the site, I fear a little to book our next cruise out of fear they rearrange it all again.

Grtz

EDIT: Mixed up Jewel with Vision(that is pulled away from Brazil?)…My bad.

When you book the cruise, the fine print always says that itinerary can change at any time…And lately RCI is doing so in for the Med/EU sailings:

Grtz

Maybe I don't quite understand your comment, but Jewel has always left Harwich the end of August to do the TA over to Boston. This is nothing new.

Obviously, it's a personal decision, but I would make every effort to find a cruise that would allow me to use the air and hotels that I'd already booked. I guess I'm too "thrifty" to throw away all the money I'd spent. I don't know if travel insurance would cover the costs related to the cruise line changing itinerary?

Hey all,

I have been undecided for a while concerning our second cruise in September…Due to

closer to home I was solely watching European sailings.

*please note I don’t care they want more ships back in the US, makes them cheaper for us to when they saturate a market, anywhere in the world for that matter. We will follow them as the world is too large & beautiful to stay fixated on the same part all your life. Plus, I applaud this, can only make it more interesting with some new destinations.

However, my concern is the following…I generally book everything myself, cruise, flights, etc...

Now, all works fine, until the cruise liner decides to change itinerary and even dates like with Navigator. We all know when RCI does something like this, even cancel your reservation, you get the opportunity to rebook or get a full refund.

But, what do you do with your travel arrangements and so on???

For us personally, we would lose a lot of money, by examples:

-The money we spend on the airline tickets, most are unchangeable or unrefundable

-we would have arranged a dog hotel where they ask for a deposit when you book, so that to might be lost

-All your arrangements for travel insurance

…And probably forgetting some stuff.

So,

Would you lose all that money and rebook everything again?

Or would you look for a different cruise liner that departs around the same date and place?

Or look for a land based vacation at the chosen embarkation city?

Or maybe even try to get RCI to pay you your flights back by sewing them???

Anyhow, what I see changing on the site, I fear a little to book our next cruise out of fear they rearrange it all again.

Grtz

The fine print that says they can change the itinerary at any time makes a successful lawsuit impossible. That's why it's there.

Maybe I don't quite understand your comment, but Jewel has always left Harwich the end of August to do the TA over to Boston. This is nothing new.

Woeps, could be I mixed up with Vision…My bad :D

Obviously, it's a personal decision, but I would make every effort to find a cruise that would allow me to use the air and hotels that I'd already booked. I guess I'm too "thrifty" to throw away all the money I'd spent. I don't know if travel insurance would cover the costs related to the cruise line changing itinerary?

No normal insurance policies would not cover a changed ship itinerary

The fine print that says they can change the itinerary at any time makes a successful lawsuit impossible. That's why it's there.

True, true :D

Cancel for any reason insurance is a choice

I was recently corrected on these boards with covered insurance concerning strikes and gods powers, so I believe it exists…However an insurance, cancel for any reason…That will cost a lot I think, no?

I was recently corrected on these boards with covered insurance concerning strikes and gods powers, so I believe it exists…However an insurance, cancel for any reason…That will cost a lot I think, no?

Yes it will and it has to be bought almost right away after booking. I could not check for your country, but I did search for outside of the USA & Canada and a couple cos. came up. Your cost if you could get it for you traveling from your country would be cost specific for your trip.

I believe most of the changes (especially the big ones like moving a ship) are done a year or so out. Most people wouldn't have their airline reservations that far, would they?

Well, nope :D We were watching Adventure in September as a backup for Navigator…Adventure has gotten a different itinerary end of September !last week!, one 6 days appeared even that changes dates.

There are some threads concerning Vision on these boards, where sailings where canceled due to the ship being redeployed.

So they do dare change "last minute"....

Archived